Independence Class Light Carrier (CVL)

(Seeing that there are three ship specs posts, I'm going to take a leap and try this one out.)

You've shown a few decent ship designs in the name of an RPG you're making up, have you done any actual work on the RPG itself? I'm kinda curious to see what the game mechanics are, how you're going to play it (online/IRL), etc..

Delance said:
Perhaps someone could use some names of the War of the Triple Alliance. Lots of naval battles on rivers. In fact, by that time, one of them was the largest naval battle ever fought on the Americas. So, what about TCS Riachuelo?

fot029.jpg

Screw the Triple Alliance, you will all fall before the might of the TCS Huascar!!!

Huascar2.gif

Eder said:
Pick a name from the war, you mean? If so, that could work, even if not for a carrier... any suggestions in particular?

TCS Riachuelo, since it was the largest battle of the war, or at least that's what the site says. We can do some more research and come with additional names. A TCS Rio de Janeiro wouldn't hurt.

TCS Monitor CVL-13

As far as the RPG goes: Its a message board sim and I'm designing a website that can be posted on solsector.net. We will be set onboard the Independence class CVL TCS Tarawa CVL-8. Simmers can choose to be pilots, naval officers, or marines. Its a first come, first serve basis so the earlier you join, the more influence you will have in the sim (IE Higher Rank)

Positions I'm Looking For:
CAG
Ship XO
Deputy CAG
Pilots
Marines

I'm playing the ships captain so whoever wants to be eiether the CAG or the XO will be the sim executive officer.

The sim is set exactly 38 years after WC1: 2692.110

If you want to apply, or have questions, email me at: josdwo@bergen.org

Several Comments on fan-shipping in general:

* I can't stress this enough - COME UP WITH NEW SHIP COMPANIES! Or use a more obscure one! The guys at the Trojan IV Yards and at Douglas Aerospace are tired of building the approximately ten zillion fan made ships they're credited with each year. :) Use a more obscure company (Terran Tech Labs, Origin Aerospace, McCall... etc.) or make up one of your own. Confed is probably full of fighter designing companies and it *certainly* has more than one shipyard.

* DO NOT TAKE NAMES OF EXISTING SHIPS. You may think that calling your ship Tiger's Claw, Tarawa, Concordia, Bannockburn, Victory, Midway, Vesuvius, Mt. St. Helens, etc. is a cute homage. Allow me to speak for everyone else: IT ISN'T. Even if the ship has been blown up (or even replaced over and over, per the Concordia), LET IT BE. In the same vein, do not name your ship after popular Wing Commander characters. Ie, no TCS Blair, no TCS Tolwyn and (I swear I've seen this done) no TCS Vagabond.

* You *must* have a synopsis/history for the ship. Filling in the various Joan's values is fun, but it's also incredibly easy and not very interesting for anyone else. No one cares that you were able to make up compeltely fictional numbers for your ship - and when no one cares about something here, they make fun of it. It's a lot harder to make fun of a well thought out and/or interesting ship history.

* Use the 'best' ships of a class as a baseline for what can't be exceeded - *not* what a faction "needs". Do not design a "replacement for the Vampire" or a "replacement for the Midway" - that's stupid, everyone does it and no one cares. No one can appreciate a ship with no basis in WC-Reality.

New Manufacturer: Terran Confederation Military Defense Labs , known as D-Lab. (Built at McCall yards but designed and constructed by Confed Navy)
Ship name: TCS Independence CVL-1.

I'll post the synopsis of the ship soom.

Heres some good names for a ship: TCS Falkland, TCS Vernon, TCS Regina, TCS Montreal, TCS Ottawa, TCS Detroit, etc. Try naming ships after cities, it looks alot better than naming ships after previous ships that have been destroyed or decommissioned. Hey, the TCS Nunavut sounds like a good name for a ship lol.

Iceman16 said:
Heres some good names for a ship: TCS Falkland, TCS Vernon, TCS Regina, TCS Montreal, TCS Ottawa, TCS Detroit, etc. Try naming ships after cities, it looks alot better than naming ships after previous ships that have been destroyed or decommissioned. Hey, the TCS Nunavut sounds like a good name for a ship lol.

TCS Kucinich. The ugliest ship in the Fleet :)

Revised Name: New York Class

TCS New York CVL-1
TCS Boston CVL-2
TCS Washington CVL-3
TCS Rio de Janeiro CVL-4
TCS San Francisco CVL-5
TCS Buenos Aires CVL-6
TCS Moscow CVL-7
TCS Kiev CVL-8
TCS Montreal CVL-9
TCS Rotterdam CVL-10
TCS Tycho CVL-11 (City on Alpha Centauri)
TCS New Alexandria CVL-12 (City on McAuliffe)
TCS New Delphi (City on Dakota)
TCS Beijing CV-14

If we were to name the ships after cities, which apparently we seem to be doing, we could still do TCS Concordia since it's a city in Argentina *northern part I believe*.

Delance said:
TCS Riachuelo, since it was the largest battle of the war, or at least that's what the site says.
Sounds good, I'll work something out.

Sylvester said:
Hey eder, could you model my ship?
Sorry man, but I don't really have the time.

Chris Blair said:
If we were to name the ships after cities, which apparently we seem to be doing, we could still do TCS Concordia since it's a city in Argentina *northern part I believe*.
Because Concordia is already a famous name of fleet carriers and all the cities named Concordia come from the same (latin) word.

Delance said:
Isn't TCS Moscow and the TCS Moskva the same name?
Effectively, yes.

Good moves guys, I was about to ping him for the fact that the Invincible already existed - Bengal-class, and appearing in UE 2 after being donated to the Border Worlds. :)

As for ship models, I might be able to run stuff past my brother, but I'm first going to try to get him to make a really 1337 Paradigm so Eder will PUT IT IN STANDOFF! :p

Good moves guys, I was about to ping him for the fact that the Invincible already existed - Bengal-class, and appearing in UE 2 after being donated to the Border Worlds.

The Invincible was a Concordia-class carrier from late in the war (it was one of the two ships that commanded the action at Freya at the end of WC3).

(Re: Moskva/Moscow... another confusing one might be 'New Delphi'... since there's already a TCS Delphi.)

The TCS Iceblade. :) :)
Just kidding.

hhmmmm.....

How about the TCS Argonnesse?

Might what to go look through some battles from WWI and some of the less desicive, but still deadly battles that has occurred other wars--excluding WWII.

How about battles from the Korean or Vietnam wars or "maybe" (big maybe) from the 2 Gulf wars?

When you're running low on ship names, the thing to do is ... steal them from Mobile Suit Gundam!

(In all seriousness, the names there are a good example of a mix between fame and obscurity. A lot of naval lore is overlooked too ... how often do you see ships named Lepanto or de Ruyter?)

Back