I, Robot

Ripper

Peace Through Superior Firepower
Looks to me to be pretty cool. I can't wait to see it.

How 'bout you?

Saturday night.

The Asimov short stories were pretty darn good, I wonder if the movie will hold up to them? I've always appreciated Will Smith as an actor (post fresh prince)

The movie is not based on the stories. It's a generic sci fi action movie about evil robots from a script that was originally called "Hardwired". The studio just happened to own the I, Robot name.

Dishwasher said:
And I believe the three laws off robotics that asimov created...

No, as the story of the movie is "robots can kill people, but only Will Smith knows it!" Any reference to the three laws is therefore nothing put lip service.

It's important to note that nowhere in any of the previews, ads, or on the I Robot website does it mention the movie is based in any way Issac Asimov's books or concepts. A pity, I agree.

I think they do use Asimov's name in a few places.
But in every interview I've seen, or read, with the filmmakers; they've said that the idea to adapt one of Asimov's I Robot stories for the first film. They figured it would be too difficult to sell hard SF the first time out, look at what's happened to many of Phillip K Dick's stories. This film is meant to kick off a franchise that will draw in an audience and then to adapt the heavier stories in a sequel. :D
So that's what I've heard, could be total BS but that's what I've heard around.
Still as simple action movie it still looks pretty cool. :)

In wird will smith said that there is a surprise in the end that makes it all become ok with the book. Bleh. i really doubt it.

Director Alex Proyas has done two really good movies (The Crow, Dark City) so I'm going to wait and see how this is before I pass judgement.

The book isn't about anything like the movie. It's a series of short logic problems involving the three laws. It's all cutsey little situations like a robot saving a little girl or a robot that refuses to follow orders.

What the movie is vaugely similar to is one of Asimov's robot 'detective' novels (Caves of Steel et. al) - but even then, it's a huge huge huge stretch.

Out of curiosity, what are the three laws of robotics. Also it should have something to do with the book, seeing as how they reprinted it with Will Smith on the cover. Is the book I, Robot a collection of short stories? I have never read it, but looking at my dads copy it looks like it is a single story.

So I'm confused. It's not really based on the book I, Robot? I also am going to wait to see it before I pass judgement. Plus I just can't wait to hear all the sassy dialogue that I'm sure they gave Will Smith. And I hope there's lots of slow motion scenes with him in the air shooting.

Anxiety said:
Is the book I, Robot a collection of short stories? I have never read it, but looking at my dads copy it looks like it is a single story.

Asimov's book is a collection of short stories. There's a book by the same name by a different fellow about rebelling robots, though.

Out of curiosity, what are the three laws of robotics.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

(The basic idea behind most any individual robot story is that it'll present some sort of situation that seems contrary to these laws and then have the characters figure out why it happened.)

Also it should have something to do with the book, seeing as how they reprinted it with Will Smith on the cover.

Yup, and this is actually the original I, Robot novel - not an adaptation of the movie.

Is the book I, Robot a collection of short stories? I have never read it, but looking at my dads copy it looks like it is a single story.

Yes, I, Robot is nine of Asimov's 'robot stories' linked together with short bridge chapters (the actual stories were all originally published individually in science fiction magazines in the forties).

Back