I need divine assistance (or Christians)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
I'm required to read the Bible (Genesis, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) over the summer. I put it off for as long as possible, and I've been in classes for a month now, The test is in a day or so, and I'm kind of freaked out. Not totally, because I read Baby's First Bible, but still, kind of worried. Is there some sort of Cliff's Notes version I can look at?

Better start praying :)

To be serious, I think there *is* some sort of Cliff's Notes for the Bible, head to your local Barnes & Nobles or Borders.

What do you need to know about the Bible?

It is the first book ever printed on Johanes Gutenburg's printing machine.

The first book, Genesis, details the events of the Creation, Man's fall from grace and God's promises of salvation.. and then the deluge. In some translations you might find the word 'Nephilem' on Genesis 6:4, while others used 'giants' instead.

The other four books you mentioned are known as the Gospel which literally means 'Good News' as it tells the life of Christ as well the teachings and salvation (as well the fulfillment of a prophecy mentioned on Genesis 3). It details the events during Jesus' birth and 3 years of ministry up till His death, resurrection and ascension.

Justin told me there was a James Earl Jones complete audio book for the bible. It's 23 CDs long, but hearing Darth Vader narrate creation would be awesome.

Question: What class is this yer takin' that requires you 2 read the Bible?...

Notwithstanding time pressures, there really is NO substitute for reading the actual Bible yourself. Not all Bibles are "King James English", mind you, with all the archaic language (thees & thous & such) thereof. There are several versions available that are in pretty modern language, and far easier to read/understand than the King James. The most widely read of these is probably the "New International Version" ("NIV"), which came out somewhere in the '80s, I believe (my fave, of the different versions I've read). A newer version that I recently acquired is called "The Message" by Eugene Peterson. It's not actually a translation, per se, it's a paraphrase. A "translation" (what most folks mean when they speak of a particular "version" of the Bible) is a word-for-word rendering of the original texts, is more accurate to the text of the original, and is the only real choice for serious/in-depth study of the Bible; a "paraphrase" is more a thought-for- thought rendering, which is more suitable for the casual reader, or the serious reader looking for a change of pace. The Message also reads more like a narrative account (think "novel"), without verse numberings for every single verse.

You can get an NIV paperback version for anywhere from $5 and up (depending on where you look), and The Message is somewhat more 'spensive, since it's a newer version. However, this one I picked up I got for only $20 on sale ($25 normally). It's called "The Message: Remix", and is a small hardcover that is quite handy to have. I'd recommend you get *both* Bibles, though for your purposes, if you could only get one, mebbe "The Message" would be a place to start.

That said, it sounds like you're looking for what's called a Bible commentary. Many/most are lengthy, since they are aimed at folks who are looking to mine the deeper riches of God's word. They go book by book thru all 66 books of the Bible, and can run into several volumes. However, there are some that are shorter, and are meant to give more of an overview (such may or may not go by the name "Commentary"). I have a specific suggestion for you RE: the latter:
"The MacArthur Quick Reference Guide to The Bible" (Student Edition). This paperback dealie is over 300 pages, but the font is not as small as most 300 pg books (like novels) that are out there, so it's not as long as it may sound. The author, John MacArthur, is a well-known Bible teacher and pastor out in the L.A. area, and he's a good, solid down to earth expositor of the Word. He has a radio program '"Grace To You" heard nationwide - check yer local listings to find a station near you that carries it.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes, and Godspeed to ye, lad.

I've had many a class require me to read the bible. There was also course in college called "Bible as literature" that I didn't bother with. But judging from him needing to read it during the summer, he's probably in high school. That's really better taught during a school year and not as a summer reading assignment. Either way, hope the test goes well.

On another note, I believe sparknotes.com has free cliffnote-esque publications online. But I couldn't find the Bible. Sorry dude.

Yup, the community college English Department which currently pays my DVD bills offers a Bible as Literature class (EN209).

Nonetheless, the question remains to be answered by Bob his own self: What's the deal on this class that YOU are taking, Bob?...

try the Complete Idiots Guide to the Bible, it gives you the basic facts. Prayer would also help.

Jim

Preacher said:
Nonetheless, the question remains to be answered by Bob his own self: What's the deal on this class that YOU are taking, Bob?...

English Lit.

Don't even worry, because that stuff is easy. THe Gospels are not hard. Heck, John is even really interesting if you are into mysticsim and/or philosophy. At least they didn't ask you to read Isahia (sp?) or Daniel or worse revalations.

Read "Left Behind" (by LaHaye & Jenkins; it's the first of what turned out to be an entire series of books on the end-times) BEFORE delving into Revelation; it'll really put things into perspective for ya.

I'm hooked on the series; I'm up to the 6th or 7th book now. A few books into it, I took out & re-read Revelation again (this time from "The Message" version of the Bible). Wow. Really puts meat on the bones of what Scripture has to say about the end-times. Yikes!...

LeHaye scares me; he looks like the spitting image of the devil :( (I thought the same about Billy Graham when I saw a picture of him a few days ago)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back