I’ve never played a “Zelda” game in my entire life!

Ace Rimmer

Spaceman
As a child, growing up in the 80s and 90s, I had a warped black and white sense of good and bad. Fore some reason when I was a kid I was convinced that anything not “Q-Bert”, “Mario” or “Donkey Kong” was bad and that “Zelda”, in particular, was pure evil! Oddly enough I’m still weary of the “Zelda” genre but I’m willing to give it a try. So where do you suggest I start?

I think most people would suggest either Orcarina Of Time for the N64 or A Link To The Past on the SNES.

Obviously, theres the first Zelda game on NES - but peopel generally consider the above two games the best of the best.

(How can anyone dislike Zelda? I mean, it's one of the most quintisential console games ever made, never mind Mario)

Ace Rimmer said:
I love older games, Super NES and earlier, side-scrolling adventures are my favorite.

You'd definitely love A Link To The Past, then.

Zelda II: Link's Awakening (for the NES) was side-scrolling but was a very strangely made game. It never quite works as well as other installments.

For those of you who lack a NES or SNES, the original "Legend of Zelda" as well as "A Link to the Past" have been re-released for GBA.

I'm one of the few people who preffered Majoras Mask to Ocarina of Time. Majoras Mask was short but packed, there wasn't an area that wasn't brimming with activities, and the alternate dimension timeloop scenario was wonderfuly quirky.

Ofcourse you could just wait for the Wii and start with Twilight Princess, its always easier to get hyped about a game when half the world is playing it for the first time too.

I loved Majora's Mask and Ocarina of time equally but differently. I'm not sure anyone would argue that Majora had the better story, but there were two elements to the game that really defined it for me (not to mention added tons of potential replay). The first was the multitude of masks that could be found. Each changed the game in at least a tiny way and three of them turned link into almost another character altogether. The other thing I loved was the notebook. I mean sure it's a bit campy, link having a tons of people needing things done, but it worked for Bill Murray.

I almost think part of the reason people favor OOT is because it came first and knocked their socks off. Amazing story and a game that really felt like it accomplished something. Majora came out and many people thought it was just too gimmicky. Me, I love them both.

I think most people prefer OOT 'cause it is the epic "main story" of Link vs. Ganon, as well as "knocking their socks off". I feel that Majora's Mask did not have enough dungeon crawling and too many side quests, which is one of the reasons I wasn't as fond of Wind Waker as OOT. I also didn't like the cel shading of Wind Waker (yeah I know it's not cool to dislike WW for the cel shading, but I still find it unappealing). I'm really looking forward to Twilight Princess and I will definitely be picking up a Wii and TP (wow that's dirty) as soon as possible.

Personally I didn't like WW visually, not because of Cel-shading (I love the technique, infact I implemented it for my group project back at uni), but because the level design and artwork was very bland in areas. Obviously cel-shaded water is less than interesting so all that time at sea was a mistake. Still, it was worthy of the Zelda name, just not ground breaking, lets hope Twilight Princess impresses (I'm also very hopeful about the Phantom Hourglass).

Damn there's a lot of Zelda's. I played through 1 and 2 on my trusty old NES back in the day, but the second one didn't impress me enough to continue. If there's more Zelda titles on other systems, I'm sure I have them because a buddy gave me a machine with pirated copies of just about every game for every console up to Playstation1. I'll have to check them out when I get a chance.

I really love all zeldas after and including ALttP, which was the first one I ever finished.

Minish Cap for the GBA (and ds) is really good too, lovely 2d graphics and great oldschool gameplay coupled with a few new things.

I really like Wind Waker, it's like playing a really beautiful cartoon.

All of them are great, anyway, including the GB and GBC ones.

I just think it's lame that they're making people who don't want to buy a Wii wait another month to buy Twilight Princess for Gamecube when that was the system it was originally for. Plus I'm not too keen on the whole "mirroring" concept they're doing with the Wii version.

You can show those bastards by waiting a month, buying the GameCube Twilight Princess and then playing it on a Wii.

Also, buy a series of increasingly smaller GameBoys in increasingly garish colors, to stick it to the man.

I just think it's lame that they're making people who don't want to buy a Wii wait another month to buy Twilight Princess for Gamecube when that was the system it was originally for. Plus I'm not too keen on the whole "mirroring" concept they're doing with the Wii version.

If it were anyone else they would have just cancelled the GameCube version outright.

I actually remember the day I got the first Zelda game with its amazing shiny gold cartridge. Probably late 1987. They announced that will be one of the launch games for the Wii Virtual Console. Only $5 http://www.gamespot.com/news/6160819.html

Back