Hurricane Katarina

The situation is getting worse in New Orleans. Now, the Superdome is being evacuated. Some evacuation shelters were flooded and had to move to higher grounds. I empathize with the people who were affected Katrina. Texas has been through this before many times. The worst hurricane was in 1900 with up to 12,000 lives lost. The scene is like Tropical Storm Allison in 2001. Houses flood up to their roof. Prayers to anyone affected.
:( :( :( :(

Article

New Orleans! New Orleans! New Orleans!

What about the people in Miss.? Last I looked, the death toll is over fives times worse in Miss. than in Louisania. Sure the city is underwater, but they didn't get hit by the storm. Southern Mississippi did!

The news is almost ignoring Miss. and that Governor's mistake in not ordering an excuation. Most of the weather reports I saw said that the Mississippi coast was the likely location of the eye-wall, not New Orleans.

I understand that New Orleans is uper-flooded, but that is just damage and livelihood with minimal loss of life. I see about 3 hours of New Orleans for every hour and a half-or less-of Mississippi coverage.

Okay, rant over.

At least it is not much worse than Ivan in Mobile, thank God.

Prayers out to those in Miss. and the others still trapped in Louisania.

Iceblade said:

What about the people in Miss.? Last I looked, the death toll is over fives times worse in Miss. than in Louisania. Sure the city is underwater, but they didn't get hit by the storm. Southern Mississippi did!

The news is almost ignoring Miss. and that Governor's mistake in not ordering an excuation. Most of the weather reports I saw said that the Mississippi coast was the likely location of the eye-wall, not New Orleans.

I understand that New Orleans is uper-flooded, but that is just damage and livelihood with minimal loss of life. I see about 3 hours of New Orleans for every hour and a half-or less-of Mississippi coverage.

Okay, rant over.

This has to be worse than Camille for everyone affected. Many historical houses are gone. They managed to serve Camille, but not Katrina. The death toll in Mississippi could reach 300. 30 people dead at one apartment in Biloxi area. Many of John Grisham's novel is set in Biloxi. I know people who are from New Orleans, Mississippi, and Mobile. I feel for them. Texas has been through it before. The worst hurricane and natural disaster was in Galveston in 1900, which left 12,000 dead.

My dad has worse estimates. He says that it would be a miracle to have less than a hundred dead and likely to get well into the hundreds, perhaps even nearing or above a thousand. I not sure how many, just going to wait, hope, and see.

Iceblade said:
My dad has worse estimates. He says that it would be a miracle to have less than a hundred dead and likely to get well into the hundreds, perhaps even nearing or above a thousand. I not sure how many, just going to wait, hope, and see.

I have read that in Mississippi that the death toll is going to be horrendous, easily in the thousands. It could be worse than Camille and if not the 1900 Galveston Hurricane. We are almost entering a more active part of the hurricane season. I don't want to even think about it. I fear that Texas could be next. It is really a bad situation everywhere. New Orleans could be out of the map from the flood.

Iceblade said:

Okay, rant over.

Mississippi is not under 19 feet of water, and turned into a lake.. New Orleans is/has. That's why. It's not that the people in other areas need help. It's that at least they can stay dry, make fires to cook, stay warm and make somewhat drinkable water, etc. Those in places like New Orleans can't do this.

a brazillian tourist who got stranded in the Superdome reported (to her sister through payphone or something) that there are lots of corpses in there, and that they're running out of food and water, and so people got into factions and started finghting each other. Also, many people are comitting suicide.

Now I don't know how credible that info is. It got published on a major newspaper here. If half of it is true, things are really ugly in NO.

Edfilho said:
a brazillian tourist who got stranded in the Superdome reported (to her sister through payphone or something) that there are lots of corpses in there, and that they're running out of food and water, and so people got into factions and started finghting each other. Also, many people are comitting suicide.

Now I don't know how credible that info is. It got published on a major newspaper here. If half of it is true, things are really ugly in NO.

The situation is really dire in New Orleans. We have many refugees in Houston as I speak. I don't know if there are may corpses. Gunshots have been fired at helicopters and looters are at it. I have heard up to 1/3 of those people who remained in New Orleans could be dead.
:( :( :( :(
'A scene of anarchy'

The situation is bad all along the gulf...New Orleans, Biloxi etc. New Orleans is getting the attention because right now it appears that the emergency efforts are really poorly organized and people are forgetting how to behave themselves and gone lawless. Looting and pillaging is starting to run rampant and those things are like magnets for a frenzied media. Not to start a completely different argument...but if I were in New Orleans...I'd be pretty happy I have a Smith & Wesson.

Alot of the looters are apparently using stolen firearms so if I was a looter....in New Orleans.... so would I

What is happening there is a GREAT tragedy. All love and support to all the affected.

lootorfind.jpg

Survival is critical... :(

http://static.flickr.com/23/38725768_16c66eb58b.jpg

This one guy wrote this sign to scare looters... it could be funny, if it wasn´t a tragedy:

story.vert.warning.jpg

Alch said:
What is happening there is a GREAT tragedy. All love and support to all the affected.

View attachment 1385
I don't want to start a heated racial debate, but I noticed that the caption for the pictures said the black guy "looted" a grocery, while the white persons "found" bread and soda in a grocery :rolleyes: *sigh*

Doesn't matter how it's described...it's still looting and it's still criminal and if the remaining government wants to stop this before it completely explodes on them, they'd better deal extremely harshly with these people. What I think is funny is that all these people on the news are like, "These people are being forced to loot to feed their families." Yet, whenever they show footage of the people it's always them loading up on electronics, guns, TVs etc. Of course, I think if I was a store owner in New Orleans right now...I'd probably want them to steal my stuff...because if I didn't have flood insurance I'd sure as heck want my insurance company to kick in on the theft coverage. :)

Re: Hurricane Katrina

*shakes head*

My condolences and sincerest prayers to anyone caught in this catastrophe.

I really hope they manage to get that mess under control soon. If the civil disorder isn't brought under control, it'll hamper the rest of the relief efforts.

If it helps anyone, I know the Georgia university system (among several others, including Texas, Mississippi, and Louisiana) is offering assistance for education, supplies, and housing (at Dalton, West Georgia, and a couple of others, IIRC). *shrugs* I don't know if mentioning it's any use, but hopefully it'll help someone.

http://www.usg.edu/katrina.phtml
http://www.usg.edu/news/2005/090105.phtml

I simply can’t believe what im seeing.

The human tragedy and continuing suffering is beyond words and deeply affecting, It baffles me that people and some news are focusing on the looting; electronics and jewelry stock in stores is surely an irrelevance considering the enormity of the crisis?

Five days with no power, no phones, no clothes, no medicine, no food and no water and people "are forgetting how to behave themselves and gone lawless"? Frankly some of the events I have seen over the past two days particularly are unbelievable!

I dearly hope things start to get sorted out. They need to soon or the damage may be irreversible as thousands upon thousands of your country’s poor and needy as well as the people out there trying to save lives and protect lives have been simply let down by their country.

my hopes and condolences to all the people affected :( :( :( :( :(

Let us remember it is human lives what we're talking about. People might be starving with food or clear water, no medicines and trying to keep on even on their homes' roofs.

I wouldn't penalize people who's trying to survive (anyway, bread and meat will rot and go bad because of the flood and lack of power) in the water, alone and cold. Survival is prime, color TV is not.

Those who are to apply the law are supposed to apply it wisely, let's hope they will do

Back