How to create Kilrathi, Steltek and Nephilim voices?

FekLeyrTarg

Rear Admiral
Hello people,

there's one thing regarding fan-made production which has barely been discussed:
How to create voice effects to make your voice to sound like a Kilrathi (any variant), Steltek or Nephilim.

How would you proceed in creating any of these voice effects, be it in Audacity, Adobe Audition or any other program?

I've done Cat voice work before using Audacity - it's pretty straight forward. You record whatever you want to say (like, "Three little maids from school are we", or "Lavin'in tre aq daig ek'ha" in the Kilrathi), then lower the pitch a bit and add-in a lion's roar/rumble effect using Vocorder. You have to find a descent lion noise to add in, but if you have one the effect is quite good - approaching the way they sounded in WC3.

Helps if you lower the register of your voice when you're speaking, especially if your voice is naturally high.

Can't say I've tried the others.

Back in the day(1993) I had a tool, I think it was called "MegaRipper", that allowed me to extract the audio files, both the music and the sound effects from Wing Commander 2
Using the software that came with my soundcard, I changed the pitch and got out the normal voice..
But there was also the thing in the way that you speak.. you speak in a short agressive centices and put a twist on how you pronounce words.. Think mr Worf from Star Trek TNG.

I've done Cat voice work before using Audacity - it's pretty straight forward. You record whatever you want to say (like, "Three little maids from school are we", or "Lavin'in tre aq daig ek'ha" in the Kilrathi), then lower the pitch a bit and add-in a lion's roar/rumble effect using Vocorder. You have to find a descent lion noise to add in, but if you have one the effect is quite good - approaching the way they sounded in WC3.

Helps if you lower the register of your voice when you're speaking, especially if your voice is naturally high.

Can't say I've tried the others.

Any recommendations as to where to get a 'decent' lion noise effect? I was expiramenting with do a Kilrathi voice for a WCP Video project I've been tinkering with.

Not really. I found one once but it's been long enough ago that I don't remember exactly where, and I haven't tried since then.

Back