How many Prophecy era fighters can a vesuvius carry?

Originally posted by Bhaktadil
As for the Kilrathi dreadnaiught, well...it was nice enough to threaten the entire Landreich...all of ConFed for that matter. And actually, we have never seen a dreadnaught get destroyed.

?
I thought the Sivar from Secret Missions 1 was classified as a dreadnought?
That one certainly got destroyed (by Bluehair).
Of course, that one wouldn't be nearly as advanced as any other dreadnought that appeared in the continuity, especially since it could be taken out by a couple of Rapiers.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

A battle being impressive doesn't mean the ship is effective... in the case of this impressive battle, the ship got the snot whipped out of it by an enemy with a far less shiny arsenal. (Incidentally, polling 'popular opinion' is never a good way to find... anything. And polling popular opinion on an unrelated subject is hardly a sensible way to determine the effectiveness of a warship <G>)

i believe you were wondering why the vesuvius is considered so powerful. but im getting tired of this, i will award you the point.

Big in no way equates with good or effective.
you missed the freaudian (sp) reference
And look at how the Hellcat was upgraded, or the Scimitar, or the Bengal... but the fact that some ships are upgraded does *not* in any way indicate that others can be. The fact that the Midway mounts a super ultra gun thing doesn't mean we can travel back in time and add super ultra gun things to every ship. Which is the claim I'm ridiculing -- that because a new ship is invented, automatically all old ships are ready to have its features slapped onto them. They make new ships because they *can't* upgrade old ones.
with enough tape and time you can do anything :p
but really, ships are allways being upgraded througout thier operational lives. it would cost too much to scrap it whenever somthing new came along. what would have happened if they scrapped all the rangers when the next carrier came along?
and who said anything about time trave? this isn't star trek
I'm just saying fighters can't be grouped like that at all -- it implies that there's been some massive change in fighter design, when in actuality fighters don't exist in groups at all. In this case, it sounds like you're saying the Vesuvius was 'designed' for larger fighters -- which is clearly not true, since the smaller ships existed at the time. Most of the Wing Commander 2 craft were around in Wing Commander 1 and most of the Wing Commander 3 craft were around in Wing Commander 2. And so on and so forth.

but during wc4 the fighters i was talking about were probably still on the drawing board. considering the bearcat was the next "hot" fighter :p

Originally posted by junior

?
I thought the Sivar from Secret Missions 1 was classified as a dreadnought?
That one certainly got destroyed (by Bluehair).
Of course, that one wouldn't be nearly as advanced as any other dreadnought that appeared in the continuity, especially since it could be taken out by a couple of Rapiers.

dreadnought is used far too often in sci-fi. i once saw a movie where the standard fighter was called a dreadnought.
and the sivar's main scare factor was that it could fire through shields, like the one around the (base/city?) on goddard.

In some Voy episode (The Dreadnought) they named *dreadnought* to some Kazon or Cardassian Torp.

Originally posted by Ghost
In some Voy episode (The Dreadnought) they named *dreadnought* to some Kazon or Cardassian Torp.

edit: dang 90 second limit thing. it erased what i typed.

it was a missile with a huge warhead capible of rendering a planet uninhabitable. its still ordinance.

As has been argued several times in past threads, the term dreadn(a/o)ght may be spelled with either an 'a' or an 'o'. So sayeth Webster. :)

Heck, even Origin couldn't make up their mind, as the original WCIII variant of the Victory Streak calls the Kilrathi vessel a dreadnaught; but the Kilrathi Saga variant of the same information spells it dreadnought. Go figure....

i forgot to mention, it was a makhee(sp) missile. heading toward the cardassian homeworld. but by some technobabble it found some other world on the other side of the galaxy that it could attack

You crazy spacebattles addled freaks need to have your legs broken off.

I'm adding this to my sig. :D

(This would be a good quote for a newspaper or magazine cover.)

Kinda long, don't you think?... <G>

The Vesuvius was *never* nice -- all we've ever seen them do was get blown up or have the crap beaten out of them.

Of course we've also seen her pull 90 DPS turns and survive sustained fire to the outer hull. <G> And the Midway had Casey's character shield on it. ^_^

Ditto the Kilrathi Dreadnought -- we've never seen it do anything aside from get blown up.

That reminds me - how did the Victory manage to take one of those down by RAMMING it? I mean, I'm usually the first to start shouting "RAM THEM TILL THEY GIVE UP!!!!!" but this is just...

Originally posted by Bhaktadil
I also do not agree with all those SpaceBattles people that think that the Vesuvius is some kind of omnipotent battleship/carrier,

Something I usually take great delight in pointing out. ^_^

but the Vesuvius was an advanced carrier. Sure you could destroy it with two torpedoes in the game itself. But I do not think this should be taken to seriously. The fact that they were considering using the Flash-Pak on it proves it was stronger than the average carrier.

All it proves is that they wanted to see something go boom. :p

Originally posted by Ghost

Kazon ships are crap. An unarmed Drayman could destroy one. ^_^ (I'm only half-joking here, mind you...guess this means LOAF was right.. <G>)

Certainly, stat-wise, the Vesuvius was a very impressive ship -- but it's definately worth pointing out that, in our experience, they had very very bad luck militarily <G> My main reason for complaining is the seemingly constant claims of "THE VESUVIUS WILL R0XX0R J00"... it's *clearly* not the ultimate end-all warship <G> And then they make up weird things, like that it's "invulnerable" because it has a flash-pak resistant alloy in its armor. Just trying to kick it down a few notches and back to reality.

Re: Victory's ramming... we don't know that it actually destroys the dreadnought -- we don't see the affect of the hit.

(Incidentally -- to avoid confusion and because it makes sense, we can safely say that the WC3 Dreadnought is Hvar'kann class).

but during wc4 the fighters i was talking about were probably still on the drawing board. considering the bearcat was the next "hot" fighter

My point is that this isn't *true*, though. The Tigershark, one of your 'small fighters' was in service... and there were previous sets of 'small' craft -- the movie stuff, for instance <G> The fact that some fighters int he future will be small rather than large is no reason to further mythologize the Vesuvius.

but really, ships are allways being upgraded througout thier operational lives. it would cost too much to scrap it whenever somthing new came along. what would have happened if they scrapped all the rangers when the next carrier came along?
and who said anything about time trave? this isn't star trek

Of course ships are upgraded... we already went over that. But this does not mean they can be upgraded with whatever new superweapon or random assumption you want to make about them <G> Vesuvius has 400 fighters, period.

Re: Victory's ramming... we don't know that it actually destroys the dreadnought -- we don't see the affect of the hit.

Considering that the Victory hit the front part of the dreadnought from the side, I'm willing to bet that the dreadnought would be out of commission for a short while. But a large enough drydock ought to get it running good as new.

Of course ships are upgraded... we already went over that. But this does not mean they can be upgraded with whatever new superweapon or random assumption you want to make about them <G> Vesuvius has 400 fighters, period.

To back up LOAF - after WWII US Midway class carriers were upgraded to operate jet powered aircraft. However the F-14 Tomcat proved too big for its hangars or elevators (forget which one) and so these carriers had to make do with just F/A-18s. As eventually the whole USN fleet will have to...

Back