How many Prophecy era fighters can a vesuvius carry?

$tormin

Vice Admiral
how many prophesy era fighters can a vesuvius carry?

i know that proph age fighters are much smaller than the wc3-4 ones (iirc, loaf said that) so how many more can the vesuvius carry?
and i don't mean any of the destroyed ones either :p

Re: how many prophesy era fighters can a vesuvius carry?

Well, in terms of physical size and space the Vesuvius class can probably carry more WC:p craft. Keep in mind though, that simply carrying fighters and being able to keep them operational in combat are two differant things. The Vesuvius class may not have the crew or the equipment to keep more than 400 fighters servicable.

Best, Raptor

400 -- a fighter's complement isn't "era" based... and a carrier is more than a big box to put things in.

Yeah, Loafs right. Just because the Fighters are smaller, doesnt mean that they have the space for them. They may only have 400 available bays, each bay only holding one fighter, therfore only holding 400 fighters. You cant really cram 2 fighters into an area designe for one, no matter how small.

but since the new fighters are smaller provision would probably be made to increase capasity if needed.

I reckon it's probably all a matter of how much money you have got. Got enough money, simply build a new carrier to hold the newer and smaller ships. If you don't have enough money, then you might just have to make some modifications...although in the case where the ships are smaller than the bays, they probably wouldn't do that - if the ships were larger than the bays, they probably would adjust the carrier so

You crazy spacebattles addled freaks need to have your legs broken off. (This would be a good quote for a newspaper or magazine cover.)

The Vesuvius was *never* nice -- all we've ever seen them do was get blown up or have the crap beaten out of them. :)

Ditto the Kilrathi Dreadnought -- we've never seen it do anything aside from get blown up. :)

And it makes *NO SENSE* that you can upgrade a ship just because *other* ships are better. If this were true, all ships would be the same.

(Furthermore, the idea of "Prophecy era" fighters is silly to begin with -- we may divide the games into... games, but the timeline doesn't -- based on fighter designators, the Tigershark (at the very least) was in service during WCIV).

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
You crazy spacebattles addled freaks need to have your legs broken off. (This would be a good quote for a newspaper or magazine cover.)

thanks, we love you too :p
The Vesuvius was *never* nice -- all we've ever seen them do was get blown up or have the crap beaten out of them.
few people i heard have ever said that the battle between vesuvii was not impressive. maybe the one that got wrecked in SO had a captain with a problem using the manuverability demonstrated allready.
and maybe the others are kicking ass. just cause you cant see it dosn't mean it isn't happening.
Ditto the Kilrathi Dreadnought -- we've never seen it do anything aside from get blown up.
small matter :p its big.
And it makes *NO SENSE* that you can upgrade a ship just because *other* ships are better. If this were true, all ships would be the same.
yes it does. it dosn't allways mean that the upgraded ship will be equal to the newer ones but atleast it will have a chance. look at the american battleships and how much they got upgraded between ww2 and the gulf war.

(Furthermore, the idea of "Prophecy era" fighters is silly to begin with -- we may divide the games into... games, but the timeline doesn't -- based on fighter designators, the Tigershark (at the very least) was in service during WCIV).

the fighters that were new in prophesy and secret ops. and what do you think i should call them? fighters we just seen, may have seen, or heard existed that were newly built, tested, and put into service in the time between the end of wing commander four and the end of secret ops.? its a little bit long to put into the thread title.

few people i heard have ever said that the battle between vesuvii was not impressive. maybe the one that got wrecked in SO had a captain with a problem using the manuverability demonstrated allready.
and maybe the others are kicking ass. just cause you cant see it dosn't mean it isn't happening.

A battle being impressive doesn't mean the ship is effective... in the case of this impressive battle, the ship got the snot whipped out of it by an enemy with a far less shiny arsenal. (Incidentally, polling 'popular opinion' is never a good way to find... anything. And polling popular opinion on an unrelated subject is hardly a sensible way to determine the effectiveness of a warship <G>)

small matter its big.

Big in no way equates with good or effective.

yes it does. it dosn't allways mean that the upgraded ship will be equal to the newer ones but atleast it will have a chance. look at the american battleships and how much they got upgraded between ww2 and the gulf war.

And look at how the Hellcat was upgraded, or the Scimitar, or the Bengal... but the fact that some ships are upgraded does *not* in any way indicate that others can be. The fact that the Midway mounts a super ultra gun thing doesn't mean we can travel back in time and add super ultra gun things to every ship. Which is the claim I'm ridiculing -- that because a new ship is invented, automatically all old ships are ready to have its features slapped onto them. They make new ships because they *can't* upgrade old ones.

the fighters that were new in prophesy and secret ops. and what do you think i should call them? fighters we just seen, may have seen, or heard existed that were newly built, tested, and put into service in the time between the end of wing commander four and the end of secret ops.? its a little bit long to put into the thread title.

I'm just saying fighters can't be grouped like that at all -- it implies that there's been some massive change in fighter design, when in actuality fighters don't exist in groups at all. In this case, it sounds like you're saying the Vesuvius was 'designed' for larger fighters -- which is clearly not true, since the smaller ships existed at the time. Most of the Wing Commander 2 craft were around in Wing Commander 1 and most of the Wing Commander 3 craft were around in Wing Commander 2. And so on and so forth.

Guys, just look at Microsoft. They just kept adding to the same old formula, and we all know how that ended. Crash upon crash upon crash. And now they've realised the error of their ways and they've started over with windows xp, which is a far better product than any of the earlier windows releases (that's not saying it's good, though:D).

I'm not saying that you cannot upgrade older equipment -- but that you cannot assume that any piece of equipment can be upgraded.

ah, I see. But I must admit I'd never upgrade the Vesuvius either. I mean, what is that ship compared to the midway (or even the Cerberus, I mean:

:eek: We interrupt this message for a very quotable sentence, this next line has a quotability-factor of 8.3, ladies and gentlemen:

Give me 2 Cerberuses and I'll blow the Vesuvius from here to Kilrah.) but afreakin' peashooter?

The fact that you need two Cerberuses to take out the Vesuvius means you cannot utilize a single Cerberus correctly, and thus, ConFleet gives you none. :)

I'm very sorry about that Lehah, but I didn't want to embarass you by saying I could kill the Vesuvius with half the firepower a cerberus has.:D

:eek: That's got to hurt.

Just kiddin' though.

Yes, I love sterile conjecture. :)

So, you're saying if Tolwyn himself was on the Vesuvius, you'd still take her out? [Makes a very low, mocking laugh]

Sorry, no dice, kid. ;)

:p Tolwyn may have been a great commander, but 2 cerberi (sorry 'bout the wrong plural earlier) wil ripp a hole through the vesuvius no matter what.

Hows about that, chum...p?:D

To respond to a number of posts here, the Vesuvius certainly *was* an impressive ship. It was the most cutting edge carrier around when it was christened. Certainly it was impressive enough to make Tolwyn think that it would have put the "fear of God" in the Kilrathi. While it was just a vain quote on the Admirals part, it also signifies that it was far in advance to anything in the Kilrathi war. The principal purpose of a carrier is the deployment of fighters and the Vesuvius, with its large complement, perfectly fulfills that. As a ship it had, it had incredible mobility, defenses, and offensive weaponry. This is not counting what kind of internal systems it had. It was a nice ship.
As for the Kilrathi dreadnaiught, well...it was nice enough to threaten the entire Landreich...all of ConFed for that matter. And actually, we have never seen a dreadnaught get destroyed.

Saying that the Vesuvius class ships only got destroyed all the time is non-sense. We have seen them fight only twice--in WC4 and Secret Ops. In WC4, the fact that the Vesuvius and even the St. Helens (considering that it was not even fully completed) lasted as long as they did in the battle shows just how tough these ships were. In Secret Ops it was an in-engine cutscene. Obviously the battle could not have been portrayed totaly accurate. Plus, the Vesuvius is not a battleship or cruiser and was not as cutting edge anymore. The Plunketts and even Midway, despite what the battles people believe, were more advanced.
I also do not agree with all those SpaceBattles people that think that the Vesuvius is some kind of omnipotent battleship/carrier, but the Vesuvius was an advanced carrier. Sure you could destroy it with two torpedoes in the game itself. But I do not think this should be taken to seriously. The fact that they were considering using the Flash-Pak on it proves it was stronger than the average carrier.

Originally posted by Talyn 83
:p Tolwyn may have been a great commander, but 2 cerberi (sorry 'bout the wrong plural earlier) wil ripp a hole through the vesuvius no matter what.

Hows about that, chum...p?:D

I doubt it.......400 fighters swarming at you and your carriers...........Don't think it will quite work out the way you think. Like LeHah said, No Dice Kid.

Back