Hornets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quarto said:
Neutron guns are nice. Their limited range can be a problem sometimes, but as a general rule, it's good to have the extra punch. I'm sure Overmortal can tell you quite a bit about the so-called joys of flying the Stiletto. Sure, you can take out a Talon without any trouble... but anything bigger than that... :p

Geez . . . I actually stopped keeping up with the Beta packages, but I can tell you all that, even on the easiest setting, the wingmen kept dying (there were no wingmen comms to tell you when they were getting torn up), and Talons can do a number on you without much trouble.

The guys have stated that, usually within the first few seconds of a dogfight, the winning side is decided by the first few kills. They aren't kidding. I found that, in that damned Stilletto, the best thing to do in a dogfight was to stuff a missile up someone's pipes first thing and then roll out immediately and find someone's tail to pepper with those slow as hell mass drivers. The gun capacitor ran out pretty quickly, and just staying on the Talon's tail without having someone sneak up behind you was a challenge. It took no time at all for a pirate's wingman to snuggle up to your exhaust and reorganize your junk. Changes are being made to some ship's stats to give you a fighting chance, but I'd say that Standoff is closer to combat descriptions from the novels than anything else. Enemies are fast, accurate, and completely lethal, even in small numbers.

And, I swear my wingmen keep shooting me in the ass, just like in WC2. I don't think that's provable, because we can't tweak the AI like that (that I know of), but I keep getting my ass rearranged by friendly fire, and it makes things even harder.

sure, there is the ai_friendly_ignore_player_existance variable!

Actually in Secret Ops I tended to get shot at by my wingmen as well. Also they tended to decide to tail the enemy fighter I was tailing... by coming up right between it and me. Not good when you've just fired a missile.

I haven't noticed too much friendly gunfire... but the occasional friendly missile does unfortunately happen. And man, that hurts... happened to me when I was testing one of the main campaign missions. I survived the missile, but for the rest of the fight, I pretty much had to stay back and watch my wingmen deal with the enemies.

Hey, Overmortal, what do you mean you stopped keeping up with the beta packages? And here I am, asking on the list for someone to comment about the fuel-tank changes in the lastest version... start downloading :p.

Quarto said:
Hey, Overmortal, what do you mean you stopped keeping up with the beta packages? And here I am, asking on the list for someone to comment about the fuel-tank changes in the lastest version... start downloading :p.
Aye, start downloading... at this point in development it'd be nice to have the opinion of someone who doesn't look at the whole thing as IFFs and MATs and TREs, and who has seen the mod in an earlier stage.

Edit: Speaking of Hornets, you know what's the opposite of Hornets? Broadswords! :p

Well, the past few weeks, I've been working 13 hours a day. That kinda puts a damper on my videogaming. Also, I can't seem to find the packages anymore. I suppose I need to use an FTP instead of the internal website link, right?

Yup, you need FTP access. The login hasn't changed, but if you don't have it anymore, just tell us on the mailing list.

I think I still have it. I'll look into it tonite. I just remember that downloading it the first time took me quite a while, using my dialup and such.

Hmm, was there another one of those posts? Eder, considering that it always seems to happen in this thread, some closure may be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back