Hornet Day Continues (October 21, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
There's something about the Hornet that keeps drawing people back. Maybe it has to do with it being the first craft that many of us flew in the original Wing Commander. Previously we posted high res scans of the WC1 Blueprints for those that could use another detailed look at them. Howie's classic model is also available here. Using that same model, Tim Peel created a fantastic wallpaper a while back, and SabreAce made one too. Alpha 1-1 even built a Hornet out of balsa wood. A super stylized version appeared in this ad for the SNES Secret Missions. The trusty little fighter also made appearances in screenshots for a number of fan projects over the years.

--
Original update published on October 21, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, can someone post those plans? I have lots of balsa laying around, I could make and entire squadron.
Also: Will tomorrow be Scimitar day?

Yeah, Alpha 1-1 never posted his plans as far as I know, but he still visits Crius.net occasionally. If you want them, you should email him.

Yeah I still pop by now and then for a bit of a lurk, besides the fact that the CIC is the homepage on my comp (as well it should be!) but unfortunately seem to have less and less free hobby time. :(
Between college at the time, a complete renovation of the house, then work, buying and spending 2 years working over and smoothing out all the bugs in my first car only to sell it, recently getting a new car with a whole new set of issues....
ok I'm just lazy. I had scanned the plans, basic editing and whatnot and somehow things got all mangled up. So it seems I'll have to "de-commision" the wooden hornet when i get the time to use its parts as a sort of STC, and use the chance to fix up things I've since learned about to improve certain details.

Just don't hold your breath. ;)

Back