Holy Crap! =:o

The_Gneech

Spaceman
I have replayed the second mission about six times now, cranking it down all the way to rookie, and I still barely survive, much less succeed.

Now, I'm the first to admit that I'm not that great a pilot, but I don't totally suck. The first few times I tried, I used my regular flying style, which is pretty aggressive, if tough on the ship -- and quickly got toasted, sometimes at the second nav point.

So then I went into defensive mode, with lots of jinking and taking potshots ... I survived that a little better, but my wingmen instantly got toasted instead, at which point I got ganged up on and wiped out. At least I managed to take out a single turret with my dying shot...

What's the deal here? I'm not that bad a pilot ... is the mod just that tough a game?

-The Gneech

It ain´t that tough if you use a little strategy. Try to get to the Fralthi clean, with all missiles and with your wingmen alive. When you get there, make sure you clear all the fighters first before worrying about the Fralthi. When you´re done clearing fighters, whack a few turrets until more kilrathi show up. When they do, wipe them out fast before more of them arrive, then go back to the Fralthi, then clear the fighters, back to the fralthi, and so on until you´ve taken out all those pesky turrets.

After that a full horde of cats will show up. Just turn on your burners towards them and try only to stay alive, after a little while they´ll give up willingly.

See, the major problem in this mission happens if you decide to trust your wingmen to take the kats´s fighters out, and worry just about the Fralthi. Pretty soon you´ll be overwhelmed by them and your wingmen will all die. Focus on the fighters and take out turrets when there´s no other kilrathi around, that´s the way.

Another thing is that your wingmen aren't entirely helpless. They'll quickly handle most of the wings you encounter on your way to the fralthi. Usually with a minimum of damage. If you play your cards right, you should only have two or three kills at most before the fralthi appears.

And, when the Fralthi is around, stick close to your wingmen. The buddy system is crucial to keeping you and them in good condition. After a bit, more pilots show up, and the whole thing suddenly becomes only half as hard.

By the way, you WILL lose wingmen to the turrets. Try to knock out a few yourself, when the opportunity arrises. Dumbfires are excellent for long-range turret-whacking. And it's also a good idea to fly in after a turret that's paying more attention to your wingman than you. You might get in close enough to nail it (and, if you're damned lucky, another one close to it) before they notice you. . . . well . . that is, if they don't notice their station being hulled by weapons fire.

Starkey is correct. As soon as all those gratha show up, run like a chicken. Not because you might die (even though, by now, that's a very likely chance), but because it's entirely too easy for the "give up" signal to be thrown in the midst of you firing a lethal volley at someone, and then you'll lose for being a traitor.

I think the healthiest I ever came out of that mission was nearly all of my front armor gone, and I had taken at least one munition up the pipes, but survived with my core damage at about 20%.

-overmortal

Also, don't use your HS missiles on Vaktoths. Instead, use them to reduce the odds quickly by going after the Dralthi - it only takes one HS to kill a Dralthi. DF missiles, meanwhile, are good for killing Vaktoths, but it's better to save them for the missile turrets on the Fralthi. Once you take out the missile turrets, things get much safer ;).

Also, if you can stand the reduced armor, use the Epee for that mission... autoslide makes it faster to take out the turrets... using autoslide along with DF missiles will let you clean the Fralthi faster and spend more time keeping your wingmen alive by helping them out every time more enemy fighters come in.

The epee can autoslide? Damn . . . I wish I'd known that . . .

The Epee also outmaneuvers the Scim by a good bit, and is much faster. The guns can be a drawback, though.

If the Epee couldn't autoslide, I'd still be stuck in M2 myself :p UE made the Epee a pretty good ship...

Unregistered said:
The Epee also outmaneuvers the Scim by a good bit, and is much faster. The guns can be a drawback, though.
Not really, at least not in this mission... the Epee's heavy stormfire is an excellent weapon for destroying turrets. It's got very limited ammo, however, so you gotta make every shot count.

That's what I meant. However, the drawback to the viper cannon on the scim is that it drains your capacitors about halfway through your target (depends on the target, obviously, as well as your aim). I'm sure you designed it that way. The scim, though, makes good on having a supply of dumbfires, which are handy for dropping into the first nacelle of a fralthi. :/

Unregistered said:
The epee can autoslide? Damn . . . I wish I'd known that . . .
I've always thought autoslide was a little overrated. Its great for taking on capships or corvettes, but I have found very limited use for it in a dog fight (maybe my multi-button pressing skills just need to get better :) ). That brings up a quesiton, did the bugs or Kats have autoslide on any of their ships? They sure seemed to change directions awful fast in some cases.

C-ya

Yeah, back in the day, we didn't have these fancy-scmancy "guest" forums. If you were banned, you were BANNED, dod gammit.

Yah, it makes me feel kinda sneaky doing this. But, nowhere in the rules does it say that this can't be done, so woohoo!

You just can't post in the main forums, is all. Kinda sucks. But, Oh well.

Unregistered said:
That's what I meant. However, the drawback to the viper cannon on the scim is that it drains your capacitors about halfway through your target (depends on the target, obviously, as well as your aim). I'm sure you designed it that way. The scim, though, makes good on having a supply of dumbfires, which are handy for dropping into the first nacelle of a fralthi. :/
Yeah, the Scim is supposed to run out of gunpower very quickly, so that you really do have to aim well ;).

As for autoslide, I think the only thing it's good for is flying fast without using up afterburner fuel. I never use it in combat - I tend to go for the old Shelton slide manoeuvre (the same thing as autoslide, just that you do it manually by punching the afterburners and turning your ship) instead. The Epee is especially great at Shelton sliding.

The Blitz said:
Yah, it makes me feel kinda sneaky doing this. But, nowhere in the rules does it say that this can't be done, so woohoo!

You just can't post in the main forums, is all. Kinda sucks. But, Oh well.

I can't even admin my own forum :\

In first balancing the new Scims, I went back to flying the Scim in WC1, and SM1, against heavier ships like the Jalthi and Gratha. I thought the combination of guns bursts would be great with a last second dumbfire-launch. The combination proved effective enough (to me, anyway), using the very nasty Viper along with a well-placed DF against any ship the kitties or buggies had to offer up for sacrifice.

I'm glad to see people like using the Epee. I found with precision strikes, it is quite effective in most situations.

Back