Holy Crap! =:o

Pleased to meet you, of course, Bob.

I've yet to decide how long it will be before I leave, again. With all these promising projects of late, perhaps I'll linger for a bit.

Like your signature, Bob.

Just out of curiousity, but are you going to do anything with that in your sig.

Also doesn't look like anybody has even looked at your site.

Forgot to uncheck the signature before I posted, kinda was in a hurry.

The site, hehe was never really more than just a distraction. I don't think I put more than a couple hours into it, total. The ticker was taken out, that's why you can't see how many times the site was viewed.

I wanna fly a Raptor against a Ralari . . . WC1 style . . . that is, where your guns can do enough damage to kill the sucker. Ooh . . . the Sivar Dreadnaught would be pretty sweet, too.

It would have been great had SO allowed for different ways of killing capships, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. Actually, it's possible to make a capship using the tower components that were mounted on the Nephilim wormhole gate, but it's kinda pointless... these towers were gun-killable, but the AI is too stupid to notice this, so only the player can do it.

Good to see you're still alive, DH.

I rather prefer using specialized ships, or at least specialized loadouts to do any harm to a capitol ship. Something about piloting a high-performance fighter or bomber against a city-sized monstrosity, while evading scorching volleys of destructive energy, just to weaken the ship's defences appeals to me. Taking a heavy fighter, and making short work of a formidable warship using fighter-scale guns, alone, does not.

Now watching someone flying a Raptor with only a mine in his belly, ram a Sivar-Dreadnought along its PTC, setting off a chain-reaction, blowing up the ship would, indeed be something to see. Perhaps someone could put together an inflight movie illustrating this, specifically for a fan-made game?

Well, Q... I was alive until I got into a Salthi and died, figuire that. So, I finally had a chance to load up and run UE. I must say that I am quite impressed.

I also enjoy doing things the legit way . . . but, there's just something about two scimitars knocking out a Ralari that's . . I dunno . . . just kinda cool. "No worries, Colonel Halcyon. That Ralari is now an expanding cloud of gasses and debris. Time for a shower and a medal, eh?"

Well SO does allow for a compromise solution, since you are allowed to define guns that are capable of damaging capship components. Try taking a Scimitar against a capship in UE1 and you'll notice that the Viper cannons are capable of damaging capship components, which is handy for when you run out of light torps in mission 10B (or mission 2A/2B where you have to destroy the Ralari). It has been rumored on this board that the Rapier IV will carry Viper cannons in UE2 . . .

That's not an SO feature, Ijuin, it's a hack :p. SO only allows a few guns to damage components; to get any other gun to damage them, it takes HCl. The upshot of this is that the AI doesn't know Vipers can damage components, so again the player's the only one who can do it. But then again, while I've seen bug ships firing guns at capship components, I don't think I've ever seen a Devastator do it anyway.

The Salthi are supposed to fly in large groups, DH ;). It takes very little time indeed to die if you fly the Salthi... but ironically, the Salthi is also the ship that is responsible for more of my deaths in the Kilrathi missions and sim missions of UE than any other ship except maybe the Gratha. That dumbfire the Salthi carry, that hurts :p.

Yes it does, dammit. Spend forever flying a mission in a kilrathi deathtrap, on a slow computer, only to get suckerpunched up the nose by a smug little sonofabitch in a Salthi. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the last salthi in that mission miss with his dumbfire and then fall fictim to my repeated, frustrated ramming. Little bitch.

Oh, I've thought plenty about the asshole in the Salthi. Thought about shooting him down . . . thought about leeching his craft and letting him drift to death . . . thought about waiting till he's headed towards a capship and shoot out his maneuvering thrusters . . . thought about (edited for length)

It's probably a good thing the AI pilots don't know the Viper's abilities. I did have a Thunderbolt fitted with four light plasma guns, when piloted by AI, would go after components. What I did with the thing is a mystery.

I know the Salthi are supposed to fly in large groups, just like the Epee ought to. I just figuired with the Salthi's uncanny ability to evade gunfire, I'd be able to survive for more than five minutes without too much trouble.

Heh, when we're finished with the Nephilim, we'll probably take over the light plasma slot and use it for the Viper, then :p.

It actually is possible to survive for at least as long as you've got AB fuel in a Salthi. Once you're out of fuel, though...

I imagine there's plenty of free slots in the 2668 period, considering the Kilrathi use the same weaponry.

I didn't use the AB, that much, actually. I was trying to outmaneuver incomming fire, and was doing a good job of it, too. When dodging a missile, however, I flew right into a full volley from a Manta. Now I know how extra crispy bacon feels!

Back