Hobbes Mind Control?

Hi guys, I never read the wc3 novel. Whats all this stuff about Hobbes and the mind overlay stuff? Are you saying he wasn't spying on confed before that?

Sometime before Crusade, Hobbes was programmed. When that happened, he became a new Kilrathi. This newer, nicer Hobbes decided to defect and join the Confederation. Over the next decade or so, he served as any honest and true soldier would. Then, in Wing Commander III, when he heard Thrakhath's message and the words "Heart of the Tiger", his previous personality was destroyed and the old, evil Hobbes started spying for the Kilrathi.
smile.gif

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternatively, when he heard the Prince's message, his real personality was destroyed and replaced by the fake one. I prefer to think so, though the end result seems to be the same.

I'd like to think that was true, but 'realistically' I think Hobbes was a Kilrathi all along. Nice re-visiting old ideas, isn't it?

Then again Melek seems rather nice, and he isn't programmed. I hope. Comes back to how I said old enemies can become good friends. Some of them, anyway.

I was just thinking, how would Maniac feel right now? After the events of Prophecy, I mean? I know he'd never admit it, but he'd have to feel pretty lonely, everyone he's ever known has either died or retired - he's the only WC character I know of who's survived since the original WC game. Then again, he'll probably keep hitting on every female nearby to keep himself busy.

Aye, 'tis nice to revisit old arguments... at least the first few times
wink2.gif

Anyway, Hobbes joined the Rebellion in '53 - before the Vega Campaign. Back then, there was no Heart of the Tiger. So the words would not have been chosen, because they'd be meaningless.
Thus, one can assume that Hobbes' mind was messed with only after he joined the Rebellion - so why, after supposedly reverting back to his original personality, would he be loyal to "that useless fool whose backside warms the Throne of Kilrah"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this where we clash between books and games? Cos I only know of Captain Ralgha defecting in a Fralthi during one of the secret missions

Considering that the novels don't contradict with Hobbes' deffection other than Eisen saying that Blair and Hobbes flew together as young Lt's (there really isn't much about his deffection in SM2 anyway), there's no need to "clash" between anything.

Melek wasn't particularly nice... He was a power-hungry fool, who had been the Emperor's lacky. He took control over the Kilrathi throne when he had no right to it. (I'm actually rather surprised that he wasn't quickly killed)

TC

------------------
Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

There's no clash here, Wedge. Hobbes joined the Rebellion in '53 (approximately - all he says is "two years ago"). Then, in '55, the Rebel Council orders him to defect to the Terrans, in order to secure an alliance.

TC said:
He took control over the Kilrathi throne when he had no right to it. (I'm actually rather surprised that he wasn't quickly killed)
As described in FC, Melek didn't take control of the throne...

He took over the throne as much as he damn well could. He knew that if he claimed to be Emperor he'd quickly be killed because he lacked the noble blood required, so he took the power without the title.

Just because you have the power to do something doesn't make it good. Which was the point of what I was saying... Melek wasn't a nice Kitty.

TC

------------------
Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

TC, even Muragh, the only cat with a legit claim for the throne doesn't think of him as taking over, so why should you?:)

And from what I can see, the Kilrathi have all split up, without a strong hand from Kilrah to govern them. So Melek would probably only have control over his clan at Pasqual. But then there's probably something in the novels to contradict that.

It's tough to say, since we didn't hear much about what's going on inside Kilrathi space since 2672, but most of the Kilrathi definetly are with their own clans trying to take over the throne. There are of course plenty of Kilrathi that don't want any conflict, at least for now, so Melek would have some cats under him that aren't from his clan.

TC: Being a nice kitty really isn't going to help Melek maintain his position. And when its a case of keeping your head on your shoulders are you really going to be fussed over the finer points of etiquette?

Originally posted by Wedge009
I was just thinking, how would Maniac feel right now? After the events of Prophecy, I mean? I know he'd never admit it, but he'd have to feel pretty lonely, everyone he's ever known has either died or retired - he's the only WC character I know of who's survived since the original WC game. Then again, he'll probably keep hitting on every female nearby to keep himself busy.

Actually Paladin is still alive and kicking, and had quite a nice gig going there for a while. I think I recall seeing Shotglass survived the Claw, whether or not he is still living or if his liver finally wimpered and died remains to be seen.

As for whether or not Melek is nice, I think it is a matter of perspective. To Confed he is about as nice as a Kilrathi can be. How he treats other Kilrathi is a different matter, in a sense. Some find this hypocritical, others are more pragmatic. The US for example is and has in the past been allied with some less than savory people. They were "good" to us, but may have repressed their own people very harshly.

I know Paladin is still around. But he's a senator. I mean Maniac wouldn't have anyone of his generation to relate to anymore. Maybe that's why he was so quick to whinge to Casey. :)

And that explains it, Q. I only just read the Freedom Flight excerpt from that on-line version of the WC2 manual TC did. I dunno why they left it out of my manual, it even still mentions it on the contents page. I always wondered what that was all about.

Back