Hi, I'm new

Some pilots like to chance it with their afterburners. Like the enemy for example. :) Privateer asteroids on the hand, completely suck.

I could always afterburn through the asteroids pretty safely in WCI, but in WCII? Man, those things were like homing missles :)

No, the mines are the homing asteroids. :) And you're not meant to afterburn in the asteroids, you're just begging for death there! Although, on my first few runs of WC2, I'd think I was out of the asteroids already, and afterburn so I could autopilot quicker, and then - SPLAT! - pancake Blair. :)

once, on a really tough WCII mission, I had just gotten back, oh on my fifitieth try on the mission or so, finally beating it, and on a landing aproach with the Concordia when I got slapped with a monstrous asteroid... I was so frustrated... but then I took some pills and got over it :)

I only recall flying Broadswords when the Concordia is in an asteroid field - getting hit by an asteroid in one at 320 kps shouldn't have been fatal.

[Edited by Wedge009 on 05-14-2001 at 02:22]

oh wait, that's right, they don't have afterburners do they? *DUH* All I know is that's what happened... maybe I'm just unlucky :)

Well, you can die if your ship is already damaged :). And since the mission Mav23's referring to is probably the Korah Pokh listening post, heavy damage is entirely possible ;).

I played that mission only recently and I smashed my undamaged Broadsword flying at 320kps into an asteroid. It took all of my front shield and I'd say 95% of the front armour. So if you get damaged just a bit in the mission, an asteroid collision is fatal.
Hmm, I just realize that that is exactly what Quarto said, sorry.

I found it relatively safe to fly thorugh asteroids even on full speed in WC1/WC2 (not on ABs, though). Priv asteriods, however, now that was an adventure in a Centurion.
But I always afterburn through mines and never got I damaged, only when I flew slowly.

And that Ralari mission: I beat it when I tried the 2nd time. I think if you do not autopilot to the Ralari but fly there manually, you have more time to intercept and insult those Grathas. But I admit, it was the only mission in WC1 where I ordered my wingman to attack. :)

Actually, I liked fighting in asteroids in Privateer because when you go full speed the enemies run into the asteroids. Especially the Kilrathi. If your a good pilot you have the advantage. Although, if you suck at flying, you're done.

Hardest mission

For me, the hardest mission(s) i ever flew was the mission in WC2 where you had to recover the Data pod from the destroyed transport ship. It was so hard for me because I didn't know how to use the tractor beam! Another one was in WC3 when you had to protect the Behemoth for its final jump to Kilrah. Again, it was hard because I didn't figure out until after my 6th try at the mission, that the Behemoth was SUPPOSED to be destroyed!

(Now you see where I got my name from)

One other thing, how come the "Aces" are so easy?

In WC2, Jazz and Thrakath were simple to defeat.
In WC3, Hobbes and Thrakath are again quite easy.
In WC4, Seether is an absolute joke!

I don't think it's because i'm that good...

The worset for me was wc1so2 mission with the mine in the asteroids i always died. How done you complete that one??

And on asteroids in privater man there were mad exspectaly in a dogfight. That was before i just ab in there and jumped. :D

Re: Hardest mission

Originally posted by Glenford Doofus

One other thing, how come the "Aces" are so easy?

In WC2, Jazz and Thrakath were simple to defeat.
In WC3, Hobbes and Thrakath are again quite easy.
In WC4, Seether is an absolute joke!

I don't think it's because i'm that good...

Maybe the game designers just wanted to make the players feel real good about themselves :)

Difficulty setting

I was playing on the second to hardest difficulty setting (can't remember if it's Ace or what) for Hobbes/Thrakath, and I was playing on the hardest (nightmare?) for Seether. It didn't make a difference from the easiest to the hardest. I still killed them all pretty easily.

second easiest is Veteran IIRC.

I think it goes like this:

Rookie
Veteran
Ace
*something I can't remember right now for some reason*
Nightmare

Back