Hey guys I just got a new computer!

Reminds me of my old 386/SX with 16 megs of ram and a 400 meg hardrive... But at least it had a first generation CD-Rom played all the way up to WC3 with it

I remember my quest for an old DOS box. Then I finally put one together. Then I decided I was better off installing DOSBox than buying a new monitor and set of speakers for the DOS box.

I got to the same conclusion as Nomad. Just running DOSBox got me more fun and better results than tracking and fiddling with very expensive (because they are now rare) DOS age hardware.

BTW, a 386 with 16mb RAM and 400megs of HD was a powerhouse. My 386 had 4mb ram and 127 mb hd. It sucked even at the time i got it.

I'm so happy with my Phoenix: AMD 2800+ Barton, Abit NF7-S2, 1GB Ram Samsung DDR 400, 120GB SATA Seagate HD, 60GB ATA133 Samsung Hd, SB Live! 24bits, GeForce 6600GT...

Runs WC1 very well!!!

Edfilho said:
I got to the same conclusion as Nomad. Just running DOSBox got me more fun and better results than tracking and fiddling with very expensive (because they are now rare) DOS age hardware.

Runs WC1 very well!!!

Yeah, I'd like to buy a new computer soon, but I'm mainly just playing WC1/2 and Armada in DOSBox, so there's not much need. I'll probably wait for the next Sim City, Command & Conquer or Wing Commander game.

Actually I heard Red Alert 3 is in the making, but it was a rumor from another forum, so who knows. I personally would rather see a sequel to Tiberian Sun, but I would welcome a new Red Alert just the same.

Sarty said:
Actually I heard Red Alert 3 is in the making, but it was a rumor from another forum, so who knows. I personally would rather see a sequel to Tiberian Sun, but I would welcome a new Red Alert just the same.

The producer of LOTR BFME sent an email out saying Red Alert 3 was up next in the series.. but he went on an extended leave shortly thereafter and EA has since announced Battle for Middle Earth 2, so it looks unlikely that a C&C is in active development right now. And then Wil Wright is working on Spore at the moment. But nevertheless, all three games are real possibilities for a year or two down the line.

Vinman said:
Pentium 150
32mb of RAM
3.5 GB hard drive
Voodoo 3 3000

It's 1997 gaming all over again, baby! :D

Sweet!

I have P166, 32MB RAM, 8X CD-ROM, 1.2GB HD for playing Kilrathi Saga and a lot of other Pentium-generation games. I bought about 4 of them and a couple of 486s for between $5 and $10 each.

BTW, I have a nice Voodoo 3 3000 PCI lying around, would it be any good to use it on my pc along with my GF6600gt? I mean, do they work fine? Can I pick wich board to use for each game? is it better then simply using the wrapper?

Windows will use whatever is set as your primary video card for games.

I suppose you could put both cards in and change your primary video card when you wanted to play a game with Glide enhancements

Nomad Terror said:
Windows will use whatever is set as your primary video card for games.
I suppose you could put both cards in and change your primary video card when you wanted to play a game with Glide enhancements

That actually probably isn't even necessary, since the game will see that one of the cards supports 3dfx mode, and it can only output that to the Voodoo card, however he's going to have an issue with the monitors, since the Voodoo 3 isn't passthrough.

Edfilho said:
BTW, I have a nice Voodoo 3 3000 PCI lying around, would it be any good to use it on my pc along with my GF6600gt? I mean, do they work fine? Can I pick wich board to use for each game? is it better then simply using the wrapper?

It should work fine, but they've got separate monitor outputs, so you'll have to be swapping monitor cables too. A Voodoo 3 is a decent card for multimonitor setups though. If you got a Voodoo 1/2 however, you can get one that just does 3d and works as an addon.

Oh, I have 3 monitors, so that won't be a problem. :) The one out of a job is 15", and smaller monitors are better for older games with lower resolutions (like Diablo2, that looks like ugly crap on 17").

My first computer was a 286 with ONE megabyte of RAM and a fifty megabyte hard drive, and it predated CD-ROM drives. In 1988 it was hot stuff.

ChrisReid said:
That actually probably isn't even necessary, since the game will see that one of the cards supports 3dfx mode, and it can only output that to the Voodoo card, however he's going to have an issue with the monitors, since the Voodoo 3 isn't passthrough.

This will most likely not work. Windows is only capable of supporting any form of 3D acceleration on the primary graphic card. That is not to say that a clever driver might not pull it off on the second card as well, I just haven't seen one so far.

My first computer was a Commodore 64. Other than that, my first PC was an 8088. I remember playing F-19 Stealth Fighter with very low framerate.

Jason_Ryock said:
I used to think I was pretty geeky. Then I joined the CIC Forums.

I use to think I was an annoying, know-it-all jerk with a bad sense of humor and a crappy avatar forced upon me as punishment by the mods.

Then there came you and now I look like I shit gold.

Back