Here's a thought...

Hero

Spaceman
Tell me what you think: We all said that using Dragon-like fighters (with cap-ship power source) isn't being done because the fighters will cost too much. Now, IIRC, none of the pilots in WCP & SO died (unless they were supposed to or you screwed up). So why not making a squad with dragon-like ships and put you in charge of it?

------------------
Evilution!

Define dragon-like
Unlike the dragon they would have to be marked craft and the cost would have to be insured with piloting by only the best pilots and lighter armor would help so the ship could be faster and more agile.
Advances in tech might provide lower cost parts too, while adding to the power of such a ship, but the need for such a vessel in numbers probably wouldn't high enough for the allocation of funds.

Dragon-like = With cap-ship power source, making the ship fast with no need to use fuel for the AfterBurners, and a high energy thingy for the guns and shilds.
AND AS I SAID BEFORE, non of the pilots in WCP & SO died unlees they were supposed to die or you screwed up (and I think most of the ppl here finished the game on insane without lossing anyone excpt Hawk and Dallas
smile.gif
), so, putting you in charge of a SQUADREN (1 squadren) of these ships with the best pilots can be a good idea, no matter the cost (and I think making the BL forces cost a hell more then the entire war effort against the Kilrathi ----->
wink.gif
)

------------------
Evilution!

I doubt it really cost that much I really do but then what do I know.
I would guess the matter-antimatter engine would depend on how much antimatter you could carry.
Hydrogen is collected through the scoops using mag fields, but how do you replenish antimatter on a little fighter? Maybe they invented a charge reversal device.
I'd say agility is more of an issue with a dragon, speed was good in WC4, but now it's only slightly faster than the tigershark, which is only a multirole ship, which has problems with more agile craft.
Without any turrets, the dragon is not very hard to take out with a ship like the vampire or even a banshee, that is as long as is doesn't cloak too often.

Erm wouldn't that make the game too easy?
smile.gif

------------------
Politician: "I'm disbanding your superannuation task force."
Superannuation Task Force: "You can't do that."
Politician: "Why not?"
Superannuation Task Force: "We haven't saved enough for our retirement."
The Politician by David Fletcher.

That's kinda what I think but then if you used it as more of a capship interdictor...
Maybe the bugs could return with better ships and tech too.
I think maybe if the next game had a ship like the dragon you either wouldn't be able to fly it or you might get to fly it for only a mission or a single episode/system.
Flying such a ship should be a reward for getting through early missions with lumbaring ships like the shrike, and lighter ships like the piranha and tshark being dogged by a dozen heavier craft.

Hero: So what you're saying is that the people in the WC universe should adopt the use of incredibly expensive spaceships on the basis of the fact that they are a game, and some characters cannot be killed?
smile.gif
I don't know about you, but for me, the "Ejecting!" line was one of the more common experiences in WCP and SO. They may not die, but when they eject, their spaceship is destroyed.

Logic.... Jeeze Quarto, I expect less from you
smile.gif
<j/k>

Actually most people wouldn't survive through that many ejections... You'd expect some to be shot and some to burn up while ejecting. We just happen to be wingmen to the lucky guys
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

TC: Yeah, some people die when they eject. However, anybody who can claim to be plot-critical always survives... Hmm... You'd think the player was plot-critical
wink.gif

Yeah, but only the player cares about the plot... Characters aren't going to come on here and complain how the player got killed and that made the story stop making sense... Or will they??? (here we go again)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

I can just imagine the next WC:
Install the game.
Start it up.
Cool intro cut scene.
Now you're onboard a carrier.
You login.
Type in callsign (typity type type) ...
and answer the question: "Do you give a rat's ass about the games plot? Yes[] No[]"

Good morning, Steampunk.
...Actually, good night. It's 00:25 out here
smile.gif

TC: Sorry. I dinna notice yer last post before. Hmm...
"Casey, you have to succeed!"
"Uh... Why?"
"If you don't... Then they can't make a sequel!"
"Good God! Don't say things like that, Maestro!"

I don't really WANT a thing like that to happen, I don't really like the Dragon.

Anyway, think about it like this: How much does a regular fighter costs? And if you're looking at it in our time, how much does a fighter plane costs? Money shouldn't come in the way of giving your pilots the best advantege they can get. And I didn't say that characters can't die, I said that their death happens because you screwed up (talking about your regular wingmen). And most of the time they never eject, just keep on flying with a ship that can't do anything.
And you know what? What happened to side shileds? That sure will help keeping fighters operational and pilots alive.

(I always put myself in these situations, why can't I stop just for this one time? Why? Must... Stop... Too... Hard... Submitting...
wink.gif

------------------
Evilution!

Hero: The side shields never existed
smile.gif
. Actually, they did in Armada, but Armada isn't a part of the mainstream WC.
And money most definitely does come in the way. Just read the little snippet of the WC 4 novelisation that comes with the game. For a senator, sitting comfortably in his big office on Earth, money is far more important than some pilot out on the edge of nowhere.

I don't he dragon eather, I say they just load up every ship with avengers and bear cats, that'll get the job done (i can kill a hole fleet of pilots in under 10 min with the bear cat)

------------------
"When my life's on the line, I want a wingman I can trust" Blair to Hobbes

I think you could kill a whole fleet of pilots in just about anything Hunter, well, maybe not an Arrow. I think most of us could
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by steampunk (edited February 01, 2000).]

Quarto: they also existed in WC3 and WC4.
And I don't have the snippet of the WC4 novelisation 'cause they ppl who brought the game to my country reedited and translated the maual
frown.gif

------------------
Evilution!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hero: They did? Oh yeah, they did. Silly me
smile.gif
. So what do you have as a manual? Because in the English version, that was the manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try killing a whole fleet of pilots in an epee...

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

Erm, all ships have side shields, but in Prophecy/SO when they're hit than they are weakening either in the front or back.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Back