HELP with books

Patriot

Spaceman
I just bought some books from Amazon.com and need to know what order I should read them in.

1. Heart of the Tiger
2. The Price of Freedom
3. End Run
4. False Colors
5. Fleet Action

I already have the ConFed Handbook and read it. What other books do you guys suggest?

Many posters (among which LOAF, IIRC) have suggested many times to start with End Run, the second book of the novel series...

I personally would start from the first book, Freedom Flight, and then go in chronological order of the publication date (someone correct me if I'm mistaken):

Freedom Flight
End Run
Fleet Action
Heart of the Tiger
The Price of Freedom
False Colors
Action Stations

IIRC, False Colors takes place between Heart of the Tiger and The Price of Freedom. I don't remember when Action Stations takes place.

Since you don't possess Freedom Flight, I suggest you purchase it, but you can also start with End Run and go in the order I suggested above. :)

The publication date...DUH, why didn't I think of that?:eek:
Thanx for the help. I'll go see if I can find Freedom Flight and Action Stations now. Are there any books that go before, with or after Prophecy, S.O. or the movie?

There are some movie related and pilgrim related books listed on the CIC site. You can look through the information there to find them.
To the best of my knowledge, Prophecy and Secret Ops never got a book of their own.

OK, I just bought Freedom Flight, Action Stations, the movie novel, and Pilgram Stars. Is Pilgram Truth another book thats coming out?

I suppose I would read them in this order:
First, the Baen novels:

Freedom Flight
End Run
Fleet Action
Heart of the Tiger
False Colors
The Price of Freedom
Action Stations

When doing it like this, I'd note a few things.

- Freedom Flight is *not* like the rest of the books in the series; it's written very differently. Don't form your opinion (and give up the series) based on it. It should be read before Fleet Action, though, since some of its characters appear in that novel.
- Action Stations is a prequel -- but *don't* read it first. It spoils all the previous novels, and it's actually *set* as a story being told after The Price of Freedom. It doesn't work as the intro to the series, because it relies too much on the other stories.
- False Colors was published last -- but timeline-wise it fits between HoTT and TPoF... and it doesn't spoil any of the later stories, so it makes sense to read it between HotT and TPoF.

Then read the HarperCollins books in their order released/timeline order. If you want to read everything in timeline order, read these three between Freedom Flight and End Run.

Wing Commander
Pilgrim Stars
Pilgrim Truth (Outline)

Thanx LOAF and mpanty. I'll take this list and read them in that order. I've played all the games numerous times and now I can get some reading in. The Army keeps me flying around the world and I need something to do in those long hours sitting on C-130's and C-5's. Don't get me wrong, I like those Air Force guys. Whenever we have to go fight, they always give us a ride.:)

Pilgrim Truth

Does anyone know where i can buy Pilgrim Truth.I've looked at B&N and amazon but they don't have it they just have Pilgrim STARS. Which i've ordered.

Just for note, I've read Freedom Flight, Fleet Action, and Heart of the Tiger.

Fleet Action is the best I've read, it is movie quality.

Here is a list of the books in the seriees with some thoughts on each:

Freedom Flight is probably the poorest book in the series, but it was, after all, the first WC book in a time when the series was not as well developed so . C

End Run is Forstchens's first WC book-- and quite a good one, as well. Some fans consider it one of the best in the series. A

Fleet Action is one of my favorite books. It is also the favorite of many other fans. Many book staples of Forstchen were introduced here. A+

I have not yet read the Wing3 novel.

I have only read pieces of the WC4N. This novel has generated quite a bit of controversy over some various errors with the game, however. And from what I here, it is one of the poorer novels, as well.

Action Stations was a decent action read. The characters, in my opinion, did not quite have as much depth in this book, but it was a good read. The plot is basically Pearl Harbor in space and the usual Forstchen "historical references" are in place. B+

False Colors is one of my favorite rads. It is the largest book in the series and it is a bit slower, but it has scores of memorable characters, and it reveals plenty of insight into Tolwyn's mind and the general post-war era. A

I have not read the movie novel yet, but I think it is generally in agreement that, story wise, it is superior to the movie.

I have not read all of Pilgrim Stars either, but it appears to be a good book with a devoloped storyline and lots of action. Note: Of course this book is all about Pilgrims, so those that did not like that concept can find plenty more to dislike in this book.

While there is no harm in reading AS after FC, I would read Action Stations before False Colors. It helped to enhace come of the characters. And the events of AS were, infact, referred or hinted at twice in FC.

I liked FF: It was humurous (OK, a bit childish but hey!), had lots of Kilrathi and played in my favourite WC time. AS and FC are very good too IMHO.

Freedom Flight is very much for people who got into WC when it started -- the style is exactly the same as SM2/WC2 (well, obviously, same author...). I didn't like it when I first read it -- it's kind of a sappy cute story... but it's very good for nostalgic purposes, for those of us who remember WC before it was 'darkened' by WC3.

Freedom Flight is indeed nostalgc harkening to those days when the outcome of the war was open to speculation. To a time when I would learn of a new WC game by actually having to go to the store, or in the case of Armada, from an Origin employee in person that happened to cross paths (back in those pre-internet days, for me atleast, and before computer game magazines were popular).

ANyways, The reason I think that FF it is a bit poorer then the others is because the writing story are a it silly and not quite as fleshed out. This is understandable since WC was still in its infancy. That not to say that I did not like the story or that it was bad, however. Also, while I had been a fan of the games since the beginning, FF was not the first book I purchased. That might have contributed.

Hrm... am I the only person who rates Freedom Flight at the very top of their Wing Commander book scale. I love that book. I think it's the lightness of the story that makes me enjoy it. The story isn't bogged down by the politics or the technology. It was a time in the series where the author could really do whatever the hell they wanted because the technology and the universe wasn't yet as well defined as it would later be. I enjoy the political and ethical stories in the other books, but for a fun read I'd pick Freedom Flight every time.

TC

Originally posted by TC
Hrm... am I the only person who rates Freedom Flight at the very top of their Wing Commander book scale. (...)

No, FF is on the top of my favourites, along with FC and AS, for the reasons already mentioned (nostalgia, less "evil-and-dumb politicians and smart-and-always-right-guessing military people" than in some other novels e.g.)

less "evil-and-dumb politicians and smart-and-always-right-guessing military people" than in some other novels e.g.

This is one of those things people say that isn't remotely true. Lets look at the actual Forstchen books: there's just as much (if not more) bad military characters than politicians... and in most cases the 'bad' politicians are simply people who want peace, or who won't trust spending money on a secret project or somesuch...

End Run: No politicians whatsoever, but features a cowardly alcoholic military captain and a head-of-the-fleet who refuses to rescue the Tarawa.

Fleet Action: Bad politician: Evil Secretary Jamison dupes President Rodham, who sees the light in the end and resigns honorably. Good politician: Vice President/later President Quinson is against ending the war.

Heart of the Tiger: No politicians.

The Price of Freedom: Good politicians: Paladin allows Blair & company to testify against Tolwyn. Bad military: Tolwyn dupes Confed, kills millions. Paulsen gets his carrier crippled through stupidity.

Action Stations: Bad politician: Anti-war Senator. Bad military: Incompetant Admirals run McAuliffe. Military incompetence results in orders not arriving in time.

False Colors: Bad politician: Senator doesn't want to fund Kruger's secret project. Good politician: Kruger -- who has the support of the majority of his government! Bad military: incompetant captain of the Independance.

Back