Help needed for Privateer bootdisk

O.K., we're getting close. I removed the line and booted my bootdisk. Just as a test I switched to my D drive (my CD ROM drive) and received the message 'invalid drive specification' , therefore there must be something wrong with my D drive info. The CD ROM driver loaded O.K. though.

I've had that problem before. Is MSCDEX working properly in autoexec.bat? It should use the same ID as used in the CD driver in config.sys

Let's assume the driver for the CD-ROM are wrong. Go to http://www.bootdisk.com and download the Universal CD-ROM driver. When you install it, it should add these to lines to your default autoexec.bat and config.sys.

-------- Autoexec.bat---------
REM [CD-ROM Drive]
LH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD1

-----Config.sys--------
REM [CD-ROM DRIVE]
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:CD1 /V

Replace the CD-ROM lines on your book disk with these. You can also remove these line from default files. Let windows load it's own drivers. Oh, what kind of CD-ROM is it?

[Edited by Johnl12 on 05-11-2001 at 02:53]

Gee, I don't know. When I try it with it copied to the hard drive, it runs great, but, oh well. You can try with the CD. It doesn't really matter.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I've had that problem before. Is MSCDEX working properly in autoexec.bat? It should use the same ID as used in the CD driver in config.sys

The ID's did match.

It's a Mitsumi CD ROM , I do have a driver disk for it with the driver named MTMCAI.sys or something like that . What I will do is go to Bootdisk.com and do what you suggested . I can always put the MTMCAI.sys driver later , then again 'if it ain't broke why fix it.'

No dice,it didn't change,so I installed my own drivers off my own disk. Nothing changed , the drivers load and I get a message 1 drive detected.But same again , when I try to run P1 I get the message 'privateer CD not detected' , 'JEMM not loaded'.
My CD ROM lines are as follows
config.sys
DEVICEHIGH=C:\MTM\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:MTMIDE01
autoexec.bat
LH C:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MTMIDE01 /M:10

Nothing else has changed from the settigns you gave me.

Do you have access to your CD-ROM in dos? If you do than rename c:\privater to privold and install the game using the boot disk.
Mitsumi CD ROM - Whats the model #?

[Edited by Johnl12 on 05-11-2001 at 23:49]

No,I don't have access in DOS. I tried switching to D: drive and still got the same message 'invalid drive specification'. Maybe I'm just an idiot or something.
The model is a Mitsumi FX series the device driver is version 1.53

[Edited by Ashman on 05-11-2001 at 23:53]

O'kay then let do what Dark Knight suggested.

"Then change the priv.cfg and rf.cfg in notepad and changing the directories(ex. =C:\Privater\priv.tre)."

I don't know why your cd isn't loading.

I did , it runs but I have no mouse or joystick nor sound. I told you I was stupid or something. It does run though so I can play around with it to get sound etc. Thanks for all your help though.

[Edited by Ashman on 05-12-2001 at 14:14]

I just had a thought, at 4am , in autoexec.bat that you sent me. The CD ROM and mouse drivers both start with '\windows' but the mouse folder is c:\mouse etc. . Would it work if I remove '\windows'. I hope I make sense, it's early.

point it to wherever the driver is. If it c:\mouse\mouse.com then that what it should read. I can only go with the info you provide. If you provide incorrect info I can only give correct files. You need to know exactly where everthing is located. Which is why I first ask you to verify the location of these drivers.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 05-12-2001 at 18:18]

Originally posted by Ashman
I did , it runs but I have no mouse or joystick nor sound. I told you I was stupid or something. It does run though so I can play around with it to get sound etc. Thanks for all your help though.

[Edited by Ashman on 05-12-2001 at 14:14]

Change the SET BLASTER line in the autoexec.bat to this
SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 J200

Adding the J200 should give you access to your joystick assuming your joystick supports DOS.

Sound: While using the boot disk cd into C:\privter and type "install". When configuring the sound settings choose SB16 and use these Port=240 IRQ=5 DMA=1 HDMA=5

O.K. I've got sound. Still no mouse .I took out the \windows part of mouse line but it still doesn't load.
One funny thing I noticed was that when I use the bootdisk if I type mem or dir they don't work .I can switch from A: drive to C: drive but still no D: drive (that doesn't matter because I loaded PRIV.tre as DARK KNIGHT suggested. The question is now is there something wrong with command.com because I can't mem or dir etc.? If your not sure don't worry about answering as I can play anyway.Thanks again

my bootdisk autoexec.bat is as follows;IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\VIBRA16:
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$P$G

REM ---------THE BELOW LINES ARE FOR THE SOUND CARD-----------
SET SOUND=C:\VIBRA16
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\VIBRA16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\VIBRA16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S

REM -----------THE BELOW LINES FOR THE MOUSE---------
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.COM

REM ----- THE BELOW LINE IS FOR THE CD-ROM---------
LH C:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MTMIDE01 /M:10

SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
C:

Try this. The mem command is located in the c:\windows\command directory. Since this is in the SET PATH statement it should work. I enter the "Pause" command after the mouse driver should can see if it's load the mouse driver correctly. Did you create the boot disk the way I instructed you to?

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\VIBRA16:
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$P$G

REM ---------THE BELOW LINES ARE FOR THE SOUND CARD-----------
SET SOUND=C:\VIBRA16
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\VIBRA16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\VIBRA16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S

REM -----------THE BELOW LINES FOR THE MOUSE---------
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE
Pause
REM ----- THE BELOW LINE IS FOR THE CD-ROM---------
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MTMIDE01 /V

SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
C:

[Edited by Johnl12 on 05-13-2001 at 00:36]

IT WORKED! Thank you so much . I can run it from the CD , I have sound and I can use the mouse (no joystick but who cares-a logitech wingman). Thank you once again . I appreciate your help so much. I hope others out there can get the same results as you have provided me . Thanks Johnl12 :D

Back