Help listing all the Ion cannon based guns?

Sigh... I guess all we know is that lasers and photon cannons have easy maintenance, huh? And that's about it? Ahhh well...

Exactly! And that's not a sigh! :) "This gun requires little maintenance - the mirror robotics are the only adjustable component - and functions best in deep-space combat." That's a beautiful nugget, and it confirms that the concept of maintenance exists and has weight in the Wing Commander universe.

But there are known unknowns and unknown knows. :) If we know which is which, we're in a great position to deal in terms of facts and data. Remembering that maintenance exists but is mostly unquantifiable is great. But making too many assumptions and building up lore that doesn't have much basis doesn't advance our study of the universe.

Should be able to find numerical stats in the game manuals or WCPedia somewhere.

From memory, in WC3 the Ion Cannon did 30 damage and the Reaper Cannon did 35, while the Ion Cannon had a refire rate of 0.3 sec and the Reaper's was slightly less.

That's a beautiful nugget, and it confirms that the concept of maintenance exists and has weight in the Wing Commander universe.

I had a similar glowing feeling when I read Rachel's assesment of the Kilrathi cloaking generator in the novel

In theory a big enough generator could project a cloak that could mask out something as large as a jump point. But it would only work in a nebula, and it would be damned hard to maintain even then.

Off topic I know :)

Back