HELP! I can't run Privateer with win98!

Originally posted by Wedge009
Well, no one else was responding at the time, John. :( And I had no idea where exactly he was going wrong, so I asked.

Wedge009, what you need to do is what I'm doing. This game is pretty easy to get going via a bootdisk. The F8 thing is too much work and the things you'll need to add to the PC's systems files to get this game to work could do more harm than good. I don't what to be the one to mess up anyones PC. A bootdisk wont hurt his PC. Plus remember what are people coming here for. In this case his PC is fine he just wants to play the game. So that is what we should do.

Asking for his autoexec.bat, config.sys, and dosstart.bat gives you a lot info. I use the same bootdisk for everyone. The only real difference is the sound card, cd-rom and mouse. Also, running the "mem /c > p1mem.txt" help me see the how things are loading into memory.

I like doing this can of stuff because in my current position I am not suppose to work on end users PCs. It's consider a waste of my company's time. My job require me to work on the network. But I like helping end users and I feel this keeps my customer service skills up.

Follow the KISS thing - "Keep It Simple Stupid" :) The best lesson I ever learn and one of the hardest.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-05-2001 at 20:53]

I'm using doublespacE? LOL I have no idea what runs in my dos. I don't need it, how do I disable it? I will disable anything that doesn't need to run. I just want to play this game. I am delighted that you are helping me john. Thank you. I hope I can get this game running soon.

[Edited by xENCLAVEx on 06-05-2001 at 21:57]

Let's make this simple. I want you to create a clean boot disk. Place a diskette in your A: drive. In My Computer right click on the A: drive and choose "Format" next choose quick format and hit the start button. Next choose "copy system files only" and hit the start buttom. Now place the autoexec.bat and config.sys files I gave you on the diskette. This should work now.

Make sure you use the files I gave you as I gave you. The only changes you should have made is added the mouse driver. If you made any changes please me know.

As far as DBLSPACE is concern it should be in your PC's config.sys. It should read something like this:
Device=<path>DBLSPACE

Reading your first post I am assuming that you use to had win 3.1 and you did a upgrade and not a clean install of win95. Then you did the same thing with win98. The DBLSPACE is most likely a leftover from win 3.1. If this is the case I am not sure how to appoarch this. I would suggest getting someone to check your system and make sure it's not running.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-06-2001 at 00:43]

I forgot how to create new autexec.bat files and config.sys files. What I did before was copy the autoexec and config from my C: drive and then I deleted everything in the files then reput everything you posted into them. I haven't used win 3.1 or 95 in years, I have formatted my computer several times and installed win98 cleanly.

That's interesting, check your PC config.sys and make sure the DBLSPACE isn't there. You can use the REM command.
As far as the autoexec.bat and config.sys is concern copy the files like you did before. Using notepad select Edit>Select All and delete everything. Make sure they are completely empty, then copy what I gave you. You may have miss something the last time. Make sure to use a clean bootdisk like I explained, just to make sure that nothing happening in the background.

hey, does anyone know what the /Q means? I can't find it in my win 3.11 book.
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /D:IDECD000 /Q

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-06-2001 at 01:39]

No, doublespace is still not listed there. There is hardly anything there. It is as I listed it previously. I tried doing what you told me to do (remake the boot disk, copy and paste everything you have posted into the auto and config) but I still get the same problem. Damn, I guess privateer just doesn't like my system :(. The only time I got privateer to work on my system (without sound) was when I installed the old memmaker program. My friend gave it to me before he got a newer computer, but I have since lost that program and have no idea where to find it again. If you do let me know. Anyway, I hope you have some more ideas for me to try to get this game working.

[Edited by xENCLAVEx on 06-06-2001 at 02:49]

Pfft, memmaker sucked - you can squeeze more memory out configuring manually than using that thing. :)

[Strange that it would help make Privateer work for you, though.]

[Edited by Wedge009 on 06-06-2001 at 03:20]

Remaking your boot disk as instucted by you to do so did free up more memory in DOS, but not enough. Apparently I can't start the game with anything less than 600k free. After I disabled everything (CD also) it tried to run the game but of course because it couldn't find the CD the game wouldn't run.

Ok I found a way to get the game running without using the CD, problem is I have no sound. How can I get sound working with my SBLIVE! soundcard?

YAY! I got it all working! The CD Driver was taking up too much RAM. Once I tried running the game without the CD it ran! WOnderfully! OMG Nostalgia returns! Turns out I didn't need any help but you guys helped me nonetheless. You pressured me to find an answer because I wanted to play the game badly and you guys showed me that there is a way. Still, I do find your boot disk useful john (after I modifed the config and the autoexec a bit) otherwise the only other way I can play it is hitting f8 during boot up. I thank you all anyway for trying to help, (john!) heheee. If nothing else, you gave me the motivation to find the answer on my own. Thank you!

Back