HELP! I can't run Privateer with win98!

xENCLAVEx

Spaceman
I need help, I haven't been able to play this game ever since I upgraded to windows 95 about 5 years ago, now I have windows 98 and of course, I still can't play it. What do I need to do to play it? I tried doing something somebody told me about copying the priv.tre and rf.tre files to the privater directory but when I goto DOS and type it in my computer reboots. (I was like wtf?) I have no idea how to get it running, and how would I get sound with it when I have a digital sound card? (sblive) Any and all help is appreciatedI can't wait to play this game again!

Ok I've tried a few things and now it doesn't reboot the game, it just tells me I have insufficient memory or something like that. How do I work around this? I have already tried using a windows boot disk but I just got the same error. Is anybody able to help me? I haven't gotten any responses yet.

This is my autoexec.bat

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
rem TShoot: C:\PROGRA~1\SUPERVB\VBcure -PC:\WINDOWS
@C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DelTree /Y C:\WINDOWS\Temp
@MD C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:IDECD000

My config.sys

DEVICE=C:\SV.SYS
device=c:\windows\himem.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
Stacks=0,0
dos=high,umb
devicehigh=c:\windows\setver.exe
devicehigh=c:\windows\ifshlp.sys

[common]
DEVICE=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /D:IDECD000 /Q

autoexec.bat

LH C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:IDECD000

Change to these for a start, I guess.

config.sys

device=c:\windows\himem.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM
Stacks=0,0
dos=high,umb
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SV.SYS
devicehigh=c:\windows\setver.exe
devicehigh=c:\windows\ifshlp.sys

[common]
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /D:IDECD000 /Q

I'm guessing this will do, as well. Note the order of the lines. Unless sv.sys does something special - what is it?

How are you going into DOS? You need a pure DOS boot, not a DOS window. BTW, you might want to cut down your signature a bit. ;)

My signature is just so that people can see my system specs so they dont have to ask what I have. I do goto pure dos (either restarting in ms-dos or using a windows boot disk) I get the same problems.

Just posting your specs once, should be enough. ;)

Anyway, I hate restarting from Windows. I press 'F8' when it says "Starting Windows 9x...", and then select the command prompt, although, I suppose a boot disk should have the same effect. Did you the try the modifications? I'm no expert in this domain, but maximising memory is a start in the right direction, IMHO.

Yes, I have tried using the step by step. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing works, and sorry about my specs. I wasn't posting them repeatedly, it was my signature.

[Edited by xENCLAVEx on 06-04-2001 at 23:38]

I meant just post your specs and kill the sig. Oh never mind...

What exactly are you doing and what happens when you do it? Posting that might give others an idea on how to help you. I think someone once had this problem before.

I assume you type in priv and then the system reboots. This is in pure DOS with the modifications to the startup files, I assume. Where exactly does it reboot? Does it give any error message before rebooting? Have you setup the game with the right settings? That's all I can think of at the moment.

XENCLAVEx,

Here the autoexec.bat and config.sys for a Win9x bootdisk. Do not use this for your PC's autoexec.bat and config.sys. If you don't know how to create a bootdisk let me know.

In the autoexec.bat you need to add the DOS driver for your mouse. I left a line for it. If you don't know what the DOS driver for your mouse is you can go to http://www.bootdisk.com and get the universal mouse driver. Create a directory on your C: drive call Mouse and download the driver to it. Then add this line to the autoexec.bat
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE

You should be ready to go. Note: If you have a Logitech mouse the driver should be the the diskettes. Let me know and I help you set it up.

------------------------AUTOEXEC.BAT-------------------

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
ECHO=OFF
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV;
DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
MD C:\WINDOWS\Temp
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$P$G

REM -------THE BELOW LINES ARE FOR THE SOUND CARD-----------
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 J200
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
SBMIXER /P /Q
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

REM ------THE BELOW LINES FOR THE MOUSE------

REM -----------THE BELOW LINE IS FOR THE CD-ROM-----------
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:IDECD000

SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
ECHO=ON
C:

-------------CONFIG.SYS------------

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM

REM------ CD-ROM DRIVE ---
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /D:IDECD000 /Q

REM---COMMON-----------
DOS=HIGH,UMB
STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /P
LASTDRIVE=F

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-05-2001 at 03:40]

Hey, Wedge009. Give this guy a break. Let's keep this simple and sweet. I know you've seen me help others before with this game so please let me help him.:). I know you are trying to help but the questions you are asking aren't really necessary.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-05-2001 at 03:38]

Well, this has got to be the most odd message board setup. It's werid and confusing to find my posts. In fact, I posted lastnight but it never registured just before I went to bed. Anyway, the bootdisk never helped john :( I still got the same error. "Insufficient memory. Please Consult your manual for more information"

Okay. While using the bootdisk I want you to use this command at the dos prompt.

mem /c > p1mem.txt
mem(space)/c(space)p1mem.txt

Notice the spaces. This will create a report on your memory usage. Open the p1mem.txt file and post it.

This is my p1mem.txt file.

Modules using memory below 1 MB:

Name Total Conventional Upper Memory
-------- ---------------- ---------------- ----------------
SYSTEM 66,368 (65K) 11,056 (11K) 55,312 (54K)
HIMEM 1,168 (1K) 1,168 (1K) 0 (0K)
EMM386 4,320 (4K) 4,320 (4K) 0 (0K)
DBLSPACE 83,168 (81K) 83,168 (81K) 0 (0K)
SBEINIT 4,480 (4K) 4,480 (4K) 0 (0K)
MSCDEX 28,032 (27K) 28,032 (27K) 0 (0K)
AOATAPI 21,264 (21K) 0 (0K) 21,264 (21K)
COMMAND 7,168 (7K) 0 (0K) 7,168 (7K)
Free 564,608 (551K) 522,880 (511K) 41,728 (41K)

Memory Summary:

Type of Memory Total Used Free
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Conventional 655,360 132,480 522,880
Upper 125,472 83,744 41,728
Reserved 0 0 0
Extended (XMS)* 132,978,144 3,582,432 129,395,712
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Total memory 133,758,976 3,798,656 129,960,320

Total under 1 MB 780,832 216,224 564,608

Total Expanded (EMS) 17,170,432 (16M)
Free Expanded (EMS)* 16,777,216 (16M)

* EMM386 is using XMS memory to simulate EMS memory as needed.
Free EMS memory may change as free XMS memory changes.

Largest executable program size 522,816 (511K)
Largest free upper memory block 41,440 (40K)
MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

Well, no one else was responding at the time, John. :( And I had no idea where exactly he was going wrong, so I asked.

I see you are running DBLSPACE, why? That one program is using 81K of Conventional memory. You'll never get this game to run with this program using that much Conventional memory. If you need it change it to DEVICEHIGH. With today's hard drives using DBLSPACE is a waste of resouces and a lot programs just don't like it.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-05-2001 at 20:57]

Back