HD video packs - Tech Support

-KRRU-Dominus

Petty Officer
My only note would be, I recommend getting the K-Lite Full or Mega packs, rather than basic. Last time I checked, basic doesn't come with the Codec Tweak Tool, which can go a long way towards fixing some bugs with the HD packs

Codec Tweak Tool is (at least now) included with basic:

Media Player Classic is not.

Last edited:
Hey all

I'm having problems getting the HD video pack, (or any video pack) to work with WC: Prophecy.
I did all the setup listed in this link - https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/DVD_Movie_Upgrade_Patch
and with the help of ODVS, used K-lite as my codec.

the game runs fine, just the video shows as a black screen for me but with audio.
I have a:
4K monitor
TITAN X SLI

and windows 10 if that makes any difference.

the videos work if I remove the wcphr.dll file, all the videos play in their original format as normal again, and given that these video's are the best quality out there for this game is there anyone that has a solution to get these working?

ah no worries

I've downloaded the wc4gog_1.0.2_test1.zip file, on it's own it doesn't work but there's a bunch more "dll" files along with a "wc4dvdgog-win2k-patched.exe".

I tried copying all the files after the first failed attempt and running the .exe but it gave me a "missing file" error

Not sure if it's worth noting but the setup I did in order was:

Install game from GoG, along with SO
Copied all the files from "Enhancement package" from HCI, without overwriting Prophecy.exe or WCPHR.DLL and not running the "install" app as requested.
Install Pedro's OpenGL setup and ran it - my current settings for this are:
  • Screen Res - 3840 x 2160
  • Enhanced Lighting - on
  • HDR Effect - on
  • Enhanced starfields - on
  • Max anisortropy - 16
  • FSAA - 4
I've also tried turning off all the OpenGL settings as well and that's a no go
Prophecy.exe, is not running in "Compatibility" mode with "Win98".
and the HD video pack is where it's suppose to be in the "movies" folder in the main directory.

In terms of the game, it runs fine, loads all the levels and transitions, even loads the movies as intended with audio (barring the black screen issue).
It's also really weird, If I turn on subtitles for the movies, the screen ends up showing this bright grey colour instead.

Last edited:

-KRRU-Dominus

Petty Officer
ah no worries

I've downloaded the wc4gog_1.0.2_test1.zip file, on it's own it doesn't work but there's a bunch more "dll" files along with a "wc4dvdgog-win2k-patched.exe".

I tried copying all the files after the first failed attempt and running the .exe but it gave me a "missing file" error

I´m a bit confused, the WC4GOG patch is for Wing Commander 4, not Prophecy (which is Wing Commander 5).

Regarding Prophecy:
There are quite a few threads were possible problems for Prophecy are discussed (here for example: https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/ive-created-a-wc4-hd-video-pack.30415/page-35) and how to install it with latest additions.

Personally I can´t help you with Prophecy, sorry - didn´t play it since 2009.

EDIT: Fixed typos.

Last edited:
If anyone is able to help that would be awesome, as it stands now I'm still in the limbo as to how to get footage showing with the audio.

The WCPHR.DLL file is what's meant to control the access to the HD video's into the game so maybe use that as a point of reference to work on updated systems IDK.

I'll keep this as my current situation and will update if I manage to get it working but without any knowledge of the games files there's not much more I can do.

GazzaJack

Spaceman
I wonder if anyone has managed to get this working yet? I have been trying for about a week but no luck. Seems I'm having the same issues as most, the video plays back with a black screen. I tried all the driver updates and everything else on the forum but no luck. However, I wasn't a wiz at using the K-lite program, I'm not sure what the best options are for that...

Love to get this working, make my year!