Has anyone used the Mace in WC4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
There was another post that asked about how to use the Mace effectively in WC4. But from what I gathered the poster seemed to be talking about the Starburst missile, just got the name wrong or something.
Anyway, I was looking in my WC4 strategy guide and it lists a Mace missile in addition to the Starburst and Coneburst missiles. So has anybody used this missile? Is it the same as the WC2 Mace or is just a dumbfire with a controlable fuse?
I'm wondering cause I don't remember ever running into this missile during the game.

Normally I choose Circe so I didn't have that much opportunities to use the Mace.

But of course it's a great addition. It allows a powerful anti-fighter weapon to be used in the torpedo slot.

Now, if you are not going to face capships anyway, why not take the mace? Unless you require some special ordinance, just take them and fire against a cluster of fighters. If you are luck, you just might it something. Remember to keep the finger on the trigger until it's close to the target.

Yeah, I was walking along the street down in DC last month, as I often do, carrying a copy of Wing Commander IV over my head. "La-la-la! Wing Commander 4! Woo!", I sang. Suddenly, this thug appears out of nowhere and he pulls out a switchblade. "Gimme your Wing 4, buddy", he sneers. So I pull out my mace and BAM, I get away.

Anyway, the Mace in Wing IV can only be gotten by capturing the TCS Princeton in the optional Speradon series. It's very similar to the version from SO2, with the option of remotly detonating it if you want. Essentially, though, it's just a big honking dumb-fire.

It also makes a really neat "ring" explosion.

I found the Starburst and Coneburst very effective weapons against Capship with flight decks. It's harder while there are still enemy fighters still around, but I test fired one on the Intrepid letting it rip as soon as the missile entired the bay. It kicked up a fair amount of damage. I also found it inefficient against enemy craft, but I'd love to be able to play Wc4 again to have another crack at it.

There's a big difference, however. On SO2, the mace was twice as powerful as the torp. On WC4, it has half the strenght.

Wasabi!
I've only captured the Princeton once, so I guess I have run into the Mace, but I was kind of stuck in my dumbfire ways.
Thanks for the info!:)

Originally posted by Delance
There's a big difference, however. On SO2, the mace was twice as powerful as the torp. On WC4, it has half the strenght.

Really? IIRC, when I used it on a capship it seemed to do the same damage as the torpedo (it usually took 2 torpedo hits to the same side of a capship to take it out for me)

C-ya

Really? IIRC, when I used it on a capship it seemed to do the same damage as the torpedo (it usually took 2 torpedo hits to the same side of a capship to take it out for me)

Yup, a Mace in SO2 will take out an enemy capital ship with one hit... it'll always take two torpedoes (whether or not it's canonically 'twice as powerful' is debatable -- since they attack the ship differently...).

I've only captured the Princeton once, so I guess I have run into the Mace, but I was kind of stuck in my dumbfire ways.
Thanks for the info!

You probably didn't notice it -- they don't make a big deal out of it at all... it just shows up as an option if you try to switch your ships loadout (torpedo hardpoint).

Well I dont know if it is by pure luck or skill but I used the mace to take out the two dragons in the mission where you have to disable the blacklance transport with one shot.

Its obth skills and luck ! :)

You can fire the Wc4 Mace against fighters and destroy some of them with 1 shot.

What exactly is the deal with these weapons. The mace was some sort of DF? Anything extra?

And the coneburst and starburst - they just exploded into bits of shrapnel on command from the pilot?

Originally posted by StarLight
What exactly is the deal with these weapons. The mace was some sort of DF? Anything extra?

It's a *big* Dumb Fire -- the Mace is a tactical nuke. The WCIV version also gives you some limited control over the missile after it launches, which the Dumb Fire didn't have...

I actually didn´t like the mace. I often used the Leech missiles to disable the enemy ships and then as they were sitting there as sitting ducks, I shot them to pieces with my guns :D Heh he !

Nothing more thrilling than that in my humble opinion.

Well Leech missles exist ,to capture or just disable the enemies.If you kill them after you disable when they are sitting dukcs....mmmmmm its soooooooo cruel and evil !:eek:

I had to do that once. You know the mission where you have to take out the two BW crusers that cross into Confed space?

Well I figured if I was Blair I'd load up on Leach and just disable the lot.:(

Well Leech missles exist ,to capture or just disable the enemies.If you kill them after you disable when they are sitting dukcs....mmmmmm its soooooooo cruel and evil !

I know it´s evil and cruel ! I just can´t help it :D Sometimes it´s also fun to fire a salvo of missiles on a single ship (swift death for the pilot, thus not cruel), but it´s not the most efficient way.

Seriously though, most of the times I just use an ImRec or IFF or when I want to make things a little harder on myself I try to hit the enemy with just the dumbfires.

It's also necessary -- there are points in WC4 where a second wave of enemy fighters won't spawn properly if you've disabled the first instead of killed them...

That can be to your advantage sometimes. In tougher missions like outrunning Ella, I often left the last leeched fighter intact to avoid fighting the follow up waves.

Best, Raptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back