Happiest day of my life (WC1)

Well I was walking the street searching for a place having floppys, Somehow my floppys had a tendacy hitting the walls at incredible speed or just fly out trough the window so I was in need for disketts.

I walked t ostore after store everyone was out of disks

I remembered a store that I didnt pay much attention too it sold used harware I mean really old, So I thought maby they have some disks.

I went there and asked if they had any old floppys the store manager pointed at the end of store saying he had some there

I went there and noticed there was only boxes with 100 of floppys int them I didnt need that much, I asked the manager if he had just a few, he replyed no

well I started broswing trough the floppys casually and yawned, some of them had original games on them, I frooze for a moment as i saw it WING witha a familiar design I looked closer and yeah there it was a original Wing commander disk...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There I stod in the store holding a Perfect Wing commander disk in my hand, well i slid the disk back into the 100 pack box and brought it to the manager and payed for them,

I went home and searched up the Wingcommander disk and slid it into the floppy drive

Finally I thought to myself as a sly grin appeared on my face
the floppy drive searched for information and then it struck me the disk was corrupted it was corrupted beyond repair

Devastated I feelt like jumping out the window, well because it feelt like the proper thing to do at that moment.

I grabbed a handful of floppys and feelt like throwing them against something sharp, I hesitated briefly put back the floppys, maby maby theres a backup, well I started to browse trough the floppys one by one all being negative, there was rougly 20 floppys left, by now it feelt pretty futile to continue

well that brought up my hopes for nothing

well I continued anyway, and there it was, a slobby drawed WC1 logo on the disk, with renewed strenght i picked it up and slid it into the floppy drive (edited the 2 remaning disks where also in the 100 pack)

by the gods, there I saw the Install file it was working the disk had stayed intact for countless of years just to be discovered by me

SO now I sit here with a copy of WC1 on my puter

Theres just one problem the game runs so dam fast anyone know how to slow it down?

And we dont want to Anger LOAF the god now would we ;)

I think you should go back to that store and try to find the Holy Graal and the Ark of the Covenant.

Perhaps you should just get the CD version. I'ts easier to find. I almost shot myself earlier. I found an original WC1 5 1/4 set inch floppy still sealed in the original box. I didn't have the money to buy it though. I went back to get it, and it was gone. I almost died. I mean, It had the box and everything!!!!!! arghhhh!!

For slowdown, try "Mo'slo", or about 1/2 dozen other such utilities available out there on the web (some avail. on the CIC Files section, if I recall correctly...).

BTW, If this constitutes the happiest day of your life, then you're even more desperately in need of a life than I am.;)

I've tried MoSlo for my ancient WC1 disks (and CD from a "Mile High Club" game pack--don't ask), but although it slows down the 'Origin FX' bit to a watchable level, all of the rest of the game is still moving at light speed. I've got a (relatively) old 366 Mhz computer w/ 64 megs of RAM, so it's not some ultra-new crazysexycoolsuperfast 2.1 Ghz computer; anyone got an idea?

I would, but the slowest thing I've been able to find is something like a Pentium 100, which is just over the WC1 too-fast barrier. Oh well, maybe I'll check eBay... :)

Whoa, great find!
It reminds me of a day, about a year ago now... My sister came home from school, where they had been cleaning out an old storage shed, and among all the old computer junk they had there, she found something she thought I'd like... she brought it home, and... ULTIMA IV!, in perfect condition! Boxed, all original disks, cloth map, codex coin, documentation, the works!
Very nice :D

I remember those times...

I was on this computer convention in Utrecht once (Netherlands) and I walked around searching for older games for my 486 I still had in those times, (after I just had been in a fight with a few trekkies for walking into their stand while wearing a SW hat and T-shirt :D) and suddenly, between a whole lot of other ancient games, there it was, WC1 original on 3.5"!! I couldn't speak for a few seconds, checked the box, it was all there! 3 disks. manual, fighter blueprints, for 2bucks! So I bought it, and it worked!

--Just wanted to share this...

-iMZ

Originally posted by Rampage3051
I've tried MoSlo for my ancient WC1 disks (and CD from a "Mile High Club" game pack--don't ask), but although it slows down the 'Origin FX' bit to a watchable level, all of the rest of the game is still moving at light speed. I've got a (relatively) old 366 Mhz computer w/ 64 megs of RAM, so it's not some ultra-new crazysexycoolsuperfast 2.1 Ghz computer; anyone got an idea?

Can't you run MoSlo multiple times with cumulative effect? Or did I imagine that?

Originally posted by Dak

Can't you run MoSlo multiple times with cumulative effect? Or did I imagine that?

Can't you just set MoSlo to run at whatever speed you want?
Or did I imagine that? :)

Back