Halsey Class Heavy Fleet Carrier Renders

What program are you using? Normally making it taller or wider should be the least of the problems.

Aww, come on, people, this is Wing Commander. It's 50s style space rockets mated with 1960s jet fighters, painted like World War II bombers. How wide something looks compared to the Vesuvius is a pretty cheesy thing to complain about -- lets here the stats and the history before we nitpick.

Preach on LOAF!

Hey, I have an idea. Let's just say that instead of 1700 meters or whatever, that it is 2400 meters.

Given the rate of advancement, it's reasonable that they'd be able to make ships that big. Besides, the slim profile looks hot.

FINAL MODEL! Description and two more pics in next post.

finaliso0zo.jpg

finalfore8xx.jpg

finalaft1ge.jpg

finalside2zp.jpg

finaldorsal1ek.jpg

finalventral2sq.jpg

The tables have the specifications, production schedule and air wing description:

Description: The Halsey class heavy carrier was a project started by Admiral Gregory Daniels in 2684 as a look into a possible replacement for the older Vesuvius class carriers whose designs were conceived at the end of the Kilrathi War in 2669. Daniels contacted the two giants of Confederation carrier production for a competition for the contract, and then designated Project A386. Requests were sent to Trojan IV shipyards over Jupiter and to Sirius Prime shipyards in Sirius for a carrier with the following guideline specs:

• Able to carry over 400 fighercraft.
  • Attain a maximum speed of 130 kps.
  • Multiple Launch Bays
  • Heavy Shields
  • Heavy Armor
  • Design must be ready for production by March 1st, 2686

These basic specifications left most of the details of the design up to the individual companies, who started work on their proposals in September 2684. The two competing designs were submitted to BuShips in late February 2686 and were reviewed by Admiral Daniels and the other senior staff at BuShips. The two designs were very similar in context. The Sirius Prime design sported eight launch bays to the Trojan’s seven but the Trojan design had better shields and armor. The Trojan IV design was easier to build than the Sirius one, requiring a smaller amount of new materials to be created. Trojan IV was declared the winner of the competition on June 1st, 2686. At that point, the project name was changed from A386 to the Halsey class in honor of Admiral William F. Halsey of World War II fame. Production began in August 2686 and the expected completion of the first two units, CVN-78 TCS William F. Halsey and CVN-79 Raymond Spruance is expected to finish in February 2691.

Attachments

• Production Run.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Specs.doc
    37.5 KB · Views: 141
come on, a ship this long could never last.... imagine manouvering it?

a shorter and bulkier version might allow for multiple fighters to land at once, and would allow for hangars and space to stow spare parts. something you might take in thought? rightnow it's an armored orbital runway.

not to let you down on your designing skill, just giving my thougths

Seriously man. Give it a big boost in length (by saying 2400 or 2600 instead of 1900), and the width gets longer by proportion.

I don't care too much I still think it looks cool, even if people don't think it looks practical in a "real life videogame".

Mmkay, three comments on the bio information.

* Two of your names have already appeared in Wing Commander. There's already a TCS Halsey (TCH) and a Horatio Nelson (HOTT).

* Three years is an awfully quick amount of time to build a heavy carrier -- the five year number given in the novels and relevant to the Midway-class would be better. The Vesuvius-class were built quickly because Tolwyn scrounged resources from planets that desperately needed them for reconstruction... it's doubtful that we'd see that happen again in the post-conspiracy Confederation.

* 'CVN' isn't the designation for Fleet Carrier in the Wing Commander universe. Just 'CV' is used... presumably because they're not nuclear powered (in the modern navy sense, anyway).

Bandit LOAF said:
* Two of your names have already appeared in Wing Commander. There's already a TCS Halsey (TCH) and a Horatio Nelson (HOTT).

Not to mention I've used both in Aces fanfic, for my contribution to the Holding The Line story, as names for my Halsey class UBW corvettes. :)

(I forgot about those refs when creating the design, just going with the theme of "fighting admirals".)

No no Loaf, you misinterpret. A carrier isn't built every three years, a new production run begins every three years. As you see from the list, the TCS Halsey (Which I'm changing to TCS Franklin Roosevelt) was started in 2686 and ends in 2691. Another batch of ships begins before the first is finished (The next three start in 2689, and end in 2694.)

Little nitpick - why do they all have American names? :D This isn't the U.S. Navy In Space, and the Confederation has many, many more nations than that. Otherwise, where do you think names like the "Kyoto", "Sebastopol", and even "Vesuvius" come from?

Haesslich said:
Little nitpick - why do they all have American names? :D This isn't the U.S. Navy In Space, and the Confederation has many, many more nations than that. Otherwise, where do you think names like the "Kyoto", "Sebastopol", and even "Vesuvius" come from?

The easiest answer is that unless you know something about Admiral Nelson that the rest of us don't, they don't all have American names..

(The harder answer is that that's not much of a nitpick - the vast majority of Wing Commander names are American.)

And there's a lot of Russian names too. And a few british. Not very much names from elsewhere.

Sylvester, I never thought I'd say this, but that's actually a good design. I didn't pay too much attention to the stats, but the story behind it, the overall design (though it does seem a little thin, but that's really not a very huge problem), and the timing of the concept are all fairly reasonable. I give you a thumbs up, and a nod.

Back