HALO Fans!

Dundradal said:
In all honesty I think Bungie just denies it to spark debate and just to leave people hanging as vidmasters (marathon's version of wingnuts) are quite into looking for such things.
That's very weird, even as far as conspiracy theories go... what would the benefit be? Obviously, it would be in Bungie's commercial interest to say that the games are all a part of the same franchise (to get Marathon fans to buy Halo). Doing otherwise may indeed generate debate... but it does not generate sales (a Marathon fan will not buy a game just because it's not set in the Marathon universe :)).

Works both ways, though - Marathon was famous for being a 'Mac only' title... so the worry might be that people who aren't familiar with Marathon won't play Halo.

Immersive storylines... That's something rare those days. Too bad, really. Games are a medium that rarely explores the enormous potential to truly interesting storytelling.

Well, then again, nowdays movies and books rarely do so, as well.

Bandit LOAF said:
Works both ways, though - Marathon was famous for being a 'Mac only' title... so the worry might be that people who aren't familiar with Marathon won't play Halo.

and the guys at Bungie who have been there for a while were orginally mac only guys...as much as I find it funny to say...it's a mac thing...it's like asking why ever read me file for a mac app is always called something like "Don't read this!" or "Read at your own peril"

and Halo orginally was supposed to be a mac only title until microsoft bought them up and made come out for xbox first....a lot of mac fans were royally pissed off (Halo was first seen at a macworld expo)

I ran across this while going through the story page thought it was kind of funny since the year is familar to us wingnuts...

"It was ten thousand years before fate brought Durandal once again into contact with man.

The Pfhor were but a dim memory then, known only to a few historians and students of Earth's second colonial period. The S'pht had been nearly forgotten as well, and no man had seen a living specimen of their race since the sacking of the Pfhor system by the combined fleets of Earth and the S'pht'Kr in 2881 AD."

Dundradal said:
and Halo orginally was supposed to be a mac only title until microsoft bought them up and made come out for xbox first....a lot of mac fans were royally pissed off (Halo was first seen at a macworld expo)
It was supposed to be Mac AND pc... They announced it litere]ally. And remember, they already had the Myth series going strong in both systems, it would be stupid to limit themselves to 3% of the home computer market =)

Halo was to come out for the mac first followed by the PC release, in opposite of what most companies did at the time (basically it was to help the mac fans feel special just for once)

LOAF I realize that but I just thought it was sorta funny because well it's at least the last two numbers....

"Give me a D.
Give me a U.
Give me a R.
Give me a A.
Give me a N.
Give me a D.
Give me a A.
Give me a L.

What's that spell?

Durandal?
No.

Durandal?
NO.

TROUBLE."

rampant AI's can be so humorous

I absolutely LOVE Halo! I've played it at my friend's house, and I think that it's one of the best shooters, if not THE BEST shooter ever.

Fav. weapons: Shotgun, sniper rifle, rocket launcher, assault rifle, grenades, and plasma rifle.

Fav. vehicle: the ghost

The Ghost is the vehicle that just kind of hovers isn't it? I liked the alien one you could totally fly. I think it was the Banshee. I just loved how you could look straight down and stay in that spot and fire missiles and aliens below. Like on that mission where you have to run for it before the alien guy gets it. And then you take off and there is a bridge right below you. Firing missiles everywhere would knock those guys way off the bridge.

I just love chasing the little alien with gas masks. And how they run from you all manic crazy. The best way to kill those little fellas was with the butt of your gun. Am I right folks?

For those looking for a Marathon fix and lacking a mac... there are a couple of Unreal Tournament mods... and there is the Aleph One project (which does Mac/Linux/PC platforms). Aleph One is damn close to the original games and was quite impressive.

I'm excited about Halo 2. It's supposed to be a lot nicer.

And, yes, Grunts are best killed by one of the following methods (posted in order of humor/kickassity)

-One pistol round to the face

-Short burst of Assault Rifle fire, followed by a melee attack

-Plasma grenade stuck anywhere on the torso, preferably while other grunts are around, then sit back, listen, and laugh as the grunt screams "Nooooooo!" and runs for his buddies to save him, only to blow them and himself to kingdom come.

Favorite Weapons # Sniper Rifle (I never miss)
# Shotgun

Favorite Stage SideWinder (TDM or CTF)

Favorite covanent to kill The Elites *snickers*

Favorite Flood to kill The little one that resemble humans

Favorite Vehicle cov. The Speedy Ghost

Favorite Vehicle ter. The Almighty Tank

On a Side note I've beaten every stage on all levels of difficulty, I have no life :)

The sniper rifle is pretty badass, but for me it is useless against the flood, the just keep getting back up (the combat forms at least, the carrier forms fall over and explode.) Against the Covenent their weapons are better, they seem to have a weakness against them, while the human weapons are better against the flood, usually the assault rifle and shotgun combo, the shotgun to blast the combat forms and the assault rifle to take out the carriers, and the infection forms.

It is cool that HALO which is actually dated, is still one of the most popular games on XBOX.

Hey, I read that Halo 2 includes, new weapons, (they show up in first strike), two weapon capability (nearly every shooter does that now), more Covenant, and the Flood again, anybody confirm this?

(note: I am working on the game on the hardest level solo, and it is rough lol. The first time I ever played halo was co-op on the hardest level, I died so many times I thought I was literally Kats going up against Blair in WC3, dropping like flies.)

I'm playing it the first time, on the PC, and I'm still inside the cruiser. it is a great game. I find it annoying that I have to pick up a new plasma blaster all the time.

Once you get used to the game, you find a whole new appreciation for the human pistol....the scope makes for some good sniping on the run. I also does more damage than the assault rifle, and is good against the Covenant and the Flood.

Hey, I read that Halo 2 includes, new weapons, (they show up in first strike), two weapon capability (nearly every shooter does that now), more Covenant, and the Flood again, anybody confirm this?

Yes. I'm absolutely positive on every thing except the Flood, but, you travel to another ring world, so I'm sure there are more Flood to deal with there.

Dunno. I know that you end up on another ring world, and I've also heard that you end up on the Covenant homeworld . . . but . . wait . . . wouldn't the Covenant have several homeworlds? Like . . . one for each species in the Covenant?

Y'know, one of the things I found coolest about Halo was the fact that the "alien" characters weren't naked. They wore clothes and armor, like normal sentient beings do. It wasn't that they had armored skin. They just wore armor. And, when there was an actual leader to the group, he usually had different colored armor. And, when you killed him, if you noticed, the others would lose focus and scatter (except for Elites, which, most often, were the commanders over a group of grunts).

The AI simulates fear and lose of unit cohesion, makes it better for tactical movement, I wish I had the opportunity to play it with a group of people. Halo 2 should support online squad play, like co-op, not a vs mode. That would be sweet, serious killing.

Seeing what little I have of the sequel it sure does show how dated the original is, glad to see a game like WC that still can attract a fan base after it is out of its prime.

Back