Hakaga/Vesuvius/Midway Comparisons

Another time, then. I've been online for the whole afternoon, evening, and half the night. :eek: [I still think we should take in-game stats into consideration.]

Originally posted by Wedge009
Another time, then. I've been online for the whole afternoon, evening, and half the night. :eek: [I still think we should take in-game stats into consideration.]

IIRC, the problem there is that it doesn't actually have in-game maneuverability stats... which causes it to spin wildly in-game. :)

In addition to trusting the FMVs for manuverability, can we trust the game? I mean, this is the game where ships go hundred of kilometers a second, yet takes a good couple of seconds to cruise past a few hundred meter ship, with afterburners, head on! Perhaps you can't judge technicalities when working with some of such imaginary ficition.

PS: When it comes to the time it takes to reload a torpedo.. Some seem to forget the Torpedo Room scenes in the WC Movie, which were much like a submarine's rearming procedure. Granted, it is a movie, but it is Roberts' movie, and is better than nothing to think about.

yeah, why?

and Concordia, why cant you understand that large jump points support larger ships? I'd bet a REALLY large one would support the Midway even without the jumpexpanding thingy

ok to those who dont understand the jump point thing, imagine it like a big ball like in privateer 1, to jump a ship the entire ship has to be in the ball, hence big ship needs big balls!
TADA! problem solved, hakaga equipment probs makes the ball bigger or something

Originally posted by Madman
ok to those who dont understand the jump point thing, imagine it like a big ball like in privateer 1, to jump a ship the entire ship has to be in the ball, hence big ship needs big balls!
TADA! problem solved, hakaga equipment probs makes the ball bigger or something

Let's just try not to remember those huge big glowing things they used as jump points in the WC Academy cartoon. Any guesses as to what those were about?

Academy jumps were a bit odd. They actually seemed to take quite a long time to travel through jump space while all other references seem to suggest that jumping is instantanous (or as near as dammit). Blair even had enough time to compose a letter to his parents/foster parents during a jump.

actually i seem to recall reading that jump space was a non-instantaneous travel form, but i cant for the life of me remember where, armada possibly? i dunno!

In Armada the jumps are turns/days. That takes into account travel time and other things. But the Academy long jumps are just another facet of Akwende science.

There's also an example of a jump that takes time in the movie. Instead of the time being percieved, like in WCA, it's noticed after the jump.

noo i mean i think i read somewhere about "jump space" being gloopy stuff or some such thing lol anyone else read this?

Regarding the jump times: I think it's been stated that different jump lines take varying lengths of time. LOAF's Jump FAQ is probably a good thing to read. But do you really think that they would show you in real-time the actual jump process in the game? That would be silly, just as forcing you to fly manually between navpoints would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
A suprising number of people have done that... It's really rather hard to understand why...

Yeah, well, it's better than playing SNES WC. I knew that I needed to use the autopilot, but.. damn controller. It took me the longest time how to use the propper buttons!

Originally posted by ChanceKell
Yeah, well, it's better than playing SNES WC. I knew that I needed to use the autopilot, but.. damn controller. It took me the longest time how to use the propper buttons!

Odd: I just read the manual and was using autopilot in my first mission. After about three missions, it was second-nature to me. :D

Originally posted by Haesslich
Odd: I just read the manual and was using autopilot in my first mission. After about three missions, it was second-nature to me. :D

Oh, I'm sure if there was a manual, I would have found the proper keys. But I got it earlier this year at FuncoLand, which isn't known for giving games with manuals any more. But they're not all bad, they did become the end of my search to find the PSX WCIV.

Back