Hakaga/Vesuvius/Midway Comparisons

Hey Concordia? The WC4 script blows your 'the Vesuvius has new jump technology' argument away. Read:

hawk
It's called the Vesuvius, and its maneuverability and acceleration make us look like we're standing still.

blair
I saw it under construction. I never thought they could online it this fast.

panther
It's set on the standard jump point route to the Sol System.

their eyes move to another monitor displaying a map with VESUVIUS's projected path to earth. it's a somewhat circuitous route.

Panther (v.o.)
A ship that large has no other choice.

Blair's eyes light up with an idea.

Blair
But a ship our size has other options...

using a light pen on the map, Blair draws a much straighter line from the intrepid's current position to the sol jump point.

Blair
We can take the shortcut through the Ella star system and squeeze through this smaller jump point--

hawk
--which Tolwyn is never going to expect--

panther
--because right in the middle of the system is a Confed superbase.

Hello, the 'sneak by Ella Starbase' mission or 'Blow away Ella starbase' choice which helps you determine the WC4 ending you get.

We don't get to use ANY jump point, and Confed itself was working on a 'stealth dreadnought' according to Fleet Action. While the Hvar'kann class ships are huge, displacement-wise, it doesn't have anything at all to do with the length. Rather, it's the mass that counts - with six flight decks and a lot of engines in heavy armor, I could see that baby weighing more than Vesuvius does.

People, people. This is FICTION, it's not supposed to be reasonable, reliable, or coherent with any contemporary science or technology. Wing Commander was an idea for a guy who wanted to make a game, luckily, this game was VERY successful. Please assume that a scientist made up the specs of the ships.

Originally posted by Concordia

But the Intrepid if it was doing 144 when I clocked it (so was Vesuvius by the way!), they have roughly the same speed, if their scoops are closed, they'd probably be just as fast.

Top speed has nothing to do with acceleration. If the Vesuvius' acceleration and manuverability make it look like the Intrepid were standing still, that means the Vesuvius can reach its top speed more quickly than the Intrepid can. Simple physics my friend.

Beside the point. With phase-shields it's all or nothing. Either you penetrate it, or you don't. Considering that even the Shrike's plasma gun can eat through it's shields as if they weren't there isn't exactly comforting.

That would be the Devestator. The Shrike doesn't carry a plasma gun. It is only a light bomber.

Originally posted by I'm thinkin...

Top speed has nothing to do with acceleration. If the Vesuvius' acceleration and manuverability make it look like the Intrepid were standing still, that means the Vesuvius can reach its top speed more quickly than the Intrepid can. Simple physics my friend.

Accually top speed has everything to do with acceleration! We just don't know the other variable to relate the two. The accelerating force is that which creates the friction with the scoops. We just don't know enough about the scoops...

Originally posted by Haesslich
Hey Concordia? The WC4 script blows your 'the Vesuvius has new jump technology' argument away. Read:

Hello, the 'sneak by Ella Starbase' mission or 'Blow away Ella starbase' choice which helps you determine the WC4 ending you get.

No, I'm aware that the Vesuvius had the jump limitation. I'm just saying the Vesuvius MUST have had some kind of special jump-drive if it was to jump at all. The ship is too big (over 1,000 meters) and would not be able to fit within the jump-field without special technology to make the jump-field bigger.

If the jump point can't take the mass, then it can't take the mass.

Maybe the Hakaga in ADDITION to being able to jump it's size, could also use any jump point too; but that would be an additional goodie of the Hakaga.

We don't get to use ANY jump point, and Confed itself was working on a 'stealth dreadnought' according to Fleet Action. While the Hvar'kann class ships are huge, displacement-wise, it doesn't have anything at all to do with the length. Rather, it's the mass that counts - with six flight decks and a lot of engines in heavy armor, I could see that baby weighing more than Vesuvius does.

Stealth-Dreadnought? Can you give me some specs on that?

Also, is that the Hvar'kann that has 6 flight-decks or is that the Stealth-Dreadnought?

-Concordia

yeah, mass, not length

LOAF or you said last time that even if the ship COULD fit, and it was to heavy, the field would just collapse and you'd get debris on the other end

No, I'm aware that the Vesuvius had the jump limitation. I'm just saying the Vesuvius MUST have had some kind of special jump-drive if it was to jump at all. The ship is too big (over 1,000 meters) and would not be able to fit within the jump-field without special technology to make the jump-field bigger.

If the jump point can't take the mass, then it can't take the mass.

Maybe the Hakaga in ADDITION to being able to jump it's size, could also use any jump point too; but that would be an additional goodie of the Hakaga.

Also, is that the Hvar'kann that has 6 flight-decks or is that the Stealth-Dreadnought?

-Concordia

According to Fleet Action, the main limitation with ships above a certain 'size and mass' (see page 10), though the carriers are only around double the length of normal fleet carriers... which means they're about 1200 meters or so, while Confederation carriers of the time were about 1000 meters in length. However, on page 11 it says that these Hakaga-class ships required 'six times the material' over normal fleet heavy carriers during construction. Mass is mentioned, and is likely to be FAR greater with this design (six flight decks, three layers of armor plus the armor around the engines). Which would be where the problem lay.

The Behemoth was able to fit about 12 Victory-sized carriers in its barrel and was DEFINITELY longer than the Victory by quite a bit, and definitely longer than Vesuvius. Probably didn't mass as much though, since it was mostly barrel, shields, and reactors to power the gun.

There are no stats on the stealth dreadnought, as it was only talked about in the Fleet Action novel but otherwise never touched upon. Very highly classified project, and one that may have led to the Vesuvius carrier design. This is, however, speculation.

And if you looked at the Jump Point FAQ, it theorizes that the Vesuvius used more conventional jump drive technology - but was very, VERY precise about timing so they could get through jump points without losing parts of themselves in the process.

This ultimately means that length is NOT nearly as important as mass in the Jump Drive equation.

(Edit: And the Hakaga-class was what used six flight bays.)

My apologies, people -- haven't had time to reply to long threads in the last day or so. But here goes...

He's referring to the Omega from Fleet Action.

I think he was confusing the H'var'kann (WC3 Dreadnought) with the Hakaga (FA Heavy Carrier). All that's known about the Omega is that it's smaller and stealthier than the Hakaga and that it mounts some sort of PTC-style gun.

Where did you get the minimums from? You've told me where, and even what the minimums are. But why 16 and why 24. You did not say specifically.

Like for example "there were 8 guns on the left side, implying 8 on the right, which is 16". That's what I'm looking for.

I really don't know -- I did the Vesuvius specs at Johnny's request back in 1998...

My fairly hazy memory suggests that it went something like this:

* The Vesuvius has 40 point defense guns, including lasers and mass drivers.
* It had a dozen lasers on one side. (12x2=24)
* 40-24=16, 16 mass drivers

Yes, it DOES have to do with the basis of how ships jump. The Hakaga is beyond that 500 meter-radius thus requiring special technology to make it jump. That's ENTIRELY what the Hakaga's special technology was all about.

Do you have SPECIFIC information to suggest that the Hakaga can use any jump point? Or does all your evidence suggest that the Hakaga has new jump technology that simply enables it to jump? Just jump, not jump through hoops or rings or anything. Just jump?

The Vesuvius would have to use this new technology because it's above the 1,000 meter length/500 meter-radius requirement. All ships that size would. If the Hakaga, in ADDITION to having such technology to simply enable it to jump, ALSO had the ability to use any jump point, that's a different story.

The 1,000 meter length/500 meter-radius is the size of the average jump point. The Vesuvius *can't* jump through the average jump point. It needs a larger one.

The Hakaga eliminated the 1000/500/whatever the mass limit requirement with its technology. It can jump anywhere. The Vesuvius cannot.

The fact that the Vesuvius can jump into the Sol system means that the Sol Jump points are pretty big. Considering even the H'var'kann, which was a 22,000 meter long ship could manage to get into the Sol-System would suggest that this is probably correct.

So... you *do* understand that there are jump points of different sizes and that the Vesuvius does not have a method of using the smaller ones? Because that'd be necessary to make this conclusion... and it'd make your other argument meaningless.

A lot of my WC-Games are all over the place, and not where I currently live. This would require me to go trekking home and all over the place to find them.

Almost all of the manuals you'd require are available as PDF files. That said, if you're going to obsess over WC-details it'd probably be worth the effort of "trekking home and all over the place" to have those details available to you. Never rely on unofficial sources and expect to be right.

Then the Bhantkara is not the same carrier as the Kilrathi fleet carrier in WC3. Unless the WC3 one had stats missing.

Would you be so bold as to give me the statistics, since I don't have the luxury of going to the book-store right now.

It most certainly is the same carrier as in Wing Commander III. All you see in the game and manual is the large laser batteries... big capships like the H'var Kann or the Bantkara have dozens or hundreds of point defense weapons as well...

I would have sworn the WC3 Dreadnought had 1/1/1 as YPR stats. Do you have the exact game engine settings?

Well, I did what I should have done the first time you claimed /ships was wrong -- I *checked* the manuals. Every single version lists the YPR as 5/5/5. That's the original Victory Streak, the PSX manual, the Kilrathi Saga manual, the Japanese WC3 Win95 manual and the 3DO booklet.

I also said it's maneuverability and acceleration makes Intrepid look like it's standing still. Hmmm. Why didn't you count maneuverability in there too since in the game engine it CLEARLY can outmaneuver the Intrepid.

It may not have YPR stats (the Vesuvius) but the game engine kind of counts! I mean who cares if the stats are a bit wierd, hey, I gotta fight the Vesuvius when it's zipping all over the place.

No, this is *wrong*. There's *no way* to properly measure it 'in game' -- since the maneuverability will vary depending on how fast the game is playing. We can use the numbers provided in the game engine, or we can measure it from a static source like the video segment...

I'm a tad confused here.. Did I hear that theVesuvius had two flight decks? I know in the novel it had two.. But, although I don't try to make myself out as a ship expert, I could only see one on the in-game and cinematic models. That goes the same for the Lexington (Although not mentioned in this thread per sey, the novel mentioned two flight decks).

the novel screwed up, For(runs to get his book to confirm name spelling)stchen wanted to make things interesting. AND I THINK he may have misintepreted "Concordia Class Fleet Carrier" and "The Good Confederation Class Dreadnought Concordia" (its mentioned in the novel, as being the same class as the Connie). the Vesuvius has only 1 deck, as shown in the game

Originally posted by dacis2
the novel screwed up, For(runs to get his book to confirm name spelling)stchen wanted to make things interesting. AND I THINK he may have misintepreted "Concordia Class Fleet Carrier" and "The Good Confederation Class Dreadnought Concordia" (its mentioned in the novel, as being the same class as the Connie). the Vesuvius has only 1 deck, as shown in the game

The book was made with the script from the game...the game said it was "Concordia Class"....without knowing what the ship would look like, Forstchen assumed it was the same as the WC2 Concordia...

Anyway, they're not the same class nor was it ever said. All they said was the Lexington looked like the Concordia on the inside....which is probably true of most Confed ships....

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
My apologies, people -- haven't had time to reply to long threads in the last day or so. But here goes...

He's referring to the Omega from Fleet Action.

Okay.

I think he was confusing the H'var'kann (WC3 Dreadnought) with the Hakaga (FA Heavy Carrier). All that's known about the Omega is that it's smaller and stealthier than the Hakaga and that it mounts some sort of PTC-style gun.

How much smaller than the Hakaga?

I really don't know -- I did the Vesuvius specs at Johnny's request back in 1998...

My fairly hazy memory suggests that it went something like this:

* The Vesuvius has 40 point defense guns, including lasers and mass drivers.
* It had a dozen lasers on one side. (12x2=24)
* 40-24=16, 16 mass drivers

Okay then. Before it sounded like you were pulling these numbers out of the blue sky.

The 1,000 meter length/500 meter-radius is the size of the average jump point. The Vesuvius *can't* jump through the average jump point. It needs a larger one.

No... it's the maximum distance the anti-gravitons in the game can travel before they decay. That would imply the jump drive since the jump-drive projects them. The jump-point does not emit anti-gravitons. The only natural phenomenon in the story that I can readily recall that emit anti-gravitons is Scylla.

The Hakaga eliminated the 1000/500/whatever the mass limit requirement with its technology. It can jump anywhere. The Vesuvius cannot.

The 500 meter half-life thing is a property of the jump-drive, not the jump point. Additionally, the Vesuvius would need some kind of technology to be able to make it's large frame jump. Now whether the jump-point could take it is a different story. The Vesuvius is obviously limited to jump-points because of it's mass. It obviously isn't capable of using any jump-point. Hakaga is.

Vesuvius still is above the 1,000 meter length which means the jump point (at least a normal one) would not be able to encompass the whole ship.

Yes the jump field has to be able to support the ships mass, but it also has to surround the mass that it's jumping. The field has to surround the ship AND support it's mass. Anything not in the field just doesn't make the jump. Anything in the field that's supported does, anything that's not doesn't.

So... you *do* understand that there are jump points of different sizes and that the Vesuvius does not have a method of using the smaller ones? Because that'd be necessary to make this conclusion... and it'd make your other argument meaningless.

It doesn't appear to be able to use smaller points. It still needs a special jump drive to be able to make it jump. It's too large for the jump field to encompass the ship. It also needs to support the ships mass.

Almost all of the manuals you'd require are available as PDF files. That said, if you're going to obsess over WC-details it'd probably be worth the effort of "trekking home and all over the place" to have those details available to you. Never rely on unofficial sources and expect to be right.

Okay, now where are these PDF files located?

It most certainly is the same carrier as in Wing Commander III. All you see in the game and manual is the large laser batteries... big capships like the H'var Kann or the Bantkara have dozens or hundreds of point defense weapons as well...

I know that they don't count the point-defense batteries.

Well, I did what I should have done the first time you claimed /ships was wrong -- I *checked* the manuals. Every single version lists the YPR as 5/5/5. That's the original Victory Streak, the PSX manual, the Kilrathi Saga manual, the Japanese WC3 Win95 manual and the 3DO booklet.
Maybe it was the Concordia that was listed as 1/1/1 but that was the old WC2 stats.

No, this is *wrong*. There's *no way* to properly measure it 'in game' -- since the maneuverability will vary depending on how fast the game is playing. We can use the numbers provided in the game engine, or we can measure it from a static source like the video segment...

But the video segment's 6/6/6 DPS rating is not consistant with Hawk's statements about the ships maneuverability and acceleration making the Intrepid look like it's standing still. Intrepid does appear to be able to maneuver pretty well anyway even though she's damaged. In fact in the Novel, the Intrepid had plenty of maneuverability to swing around and torpedo the Vesuvius. 1 extra DPS is not enough to make you look like you're standing still. It's just slightly more maneuverable.

-Concordia

How much smaller than the Hakaga?

The Confederation was doing the same thing. It was not so much a super carrier along the lines of suspected Kilrathi design, but more a Stealth, heavily armored battlewagon with upgraded shielding that was proof against medium-yield antimatter warheads. There were rumors as well of a super weapon to be carried on the new ship, but that was an even darker secret. They were still a dream, however, and would have no impact on this war, hidden like the Kilrathi construction yard, as far as possible from the battle front.

There. Now even someone who can't be bothered to read the dashed novel will know everything there is to know about the Omega.

Okay then. Before it sounded like you were pulling these numbers out of the blue sky.

And now, sarcasm: Because I'm so famous for doing that.

No... it's the maximum distance the anti-gravitons in the game can travel before they decay. That would imply the jump drive since the jump-drive projects them. The jump-point does not emit anti-gravitons. The only natural phenomenon in the story that I can readily recall that emit anti-gravitons is Scylla.

The 500 meter half-life thing is a property of the jump-drive, not the jump point. Additionally, the Vesuvius would need some kind of technology to be able to make it's large frame jump. Now whether the jump-point could take it is a different story. The Vesuvius is obviously limited to jump-points because of it's mass. It obviously isn't capable of using any jump-point. Hakaga is.

Vesuvius still is above the 1,000 meter length which means the jump point (at least a normal one) would not be able to encompass the whole ship.

Yes the jump field has to be able to support the ships mass, but it also has to surround the mass that it's jumping. The field has to surround the ship AND support it's mass. Anything not in the field just doesn't make the jump. Anything in the field that's supported does, anything that's not doesn't.

It doesn't appear to be able to use smaller points. It still needs a special jump drive to be able to make it jump. It's too large for the jump field to encompass the ship. It also needs to support the ships mass.

Okay, I finally understand what you're trying to say about the TCH stuff and why...

... but it's still wrong. It is intimitely connected to the FA/WC4-stated mass/size limit of jump points themselves. It's how we *calculate* whether or not a ship can jump.

The anti-gravitons can exist for 500 meters outside of a jump point, as stated in the Confed Handbook. Now, if the jump point is a tiny point in space (a 'small' jump point) then my sphere is only about 1,000 meters across. The Vesuvius, which is 1,600 meters long, cannot jump here. But if I generate my anti-gravitons at a *large* jump point -- one several hundred meters across -- then there will be enough volume to jump the Vesuvius. See how this works? That's the difference between small and large jump points.

The Kilrathi in FA, however, figured out how to negate all this. They have a method of jumping any size ship through any jump point. The Vesuvius can't do this.

Okay, now where are these PDF files located?

Because it's too tough for you to plug names into a search engine? Here are a few:

http://www.blacklance.org/claw/ - Claw Marks
http://wingcommander.by.ru/VS/Streakle.html - Victory Streak
http://www.blacklance.org/jetlag/vow/01-02-10.pdf - Voices of War
http://www.blacklance.org/jetlag/wc4dvd/SHPSTATS.TXT - WCIV Ships Text

I know that they don't count the point-defense batteries.

Then why were you ranting about how "the Bhantkara is not the same carrier as the Kilrathi fleet carrier in WC3."

But the video segment's 6/6/6 DPS rating is not consistant with Hawk's statements about the ships maneuverability and acceleration making the Intrepid look like it's standing still. Intrepid does appear to be able to maneuver pretty well anyway even though she's damaged. In fact in the Novel, the Intrepid had plenty of maneuverability to swing around and torpedo the Vesuvius. 1 extra DPS is not enough to make you look like you're standing still. It's just slightly more maneuverable.

Yes it does. 6/6/6 is about 20 percent more maneuverable than the Intrepid.

But ignoring that, consider: why are you insisting that the Vesuvius is the one that has to be 'wrong'? It's the *only* one that can actually be measured. In your warped mind, shouldn't the *Intrepid*, which we never see maneuver, be the ship with the wrong stats?

I haven't read much of this extremely lengthy discussion, but I want to know: can we really rely on the FMV for the 6 dps YPR rating on the Vesuvius? Think about movies which have some time limit before the climax, eg ten seconds before full time in a sports movie. You know those ten seconds are never ten seconds as you're watching it. And the Vesuvius seems to manoeuvre very quickly in the game. I think I mentioned before, that my first view of WCIV was watching my cousin play a mission where the Vesuvius does a U-turn, and I pointed out that it was turning ridiculously fast inflight.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I haven't read much of this extremely lengthy discussion, but I want to know: can we really rely on the FMV for the 6 dps YPR rating on the Vesuvius? Think about movies which have some time limit before the climax, eg ten seconds before full time in a sports movie. You know those ten seconds are never ten seconds as you're watching it. And the Vesuvius seems to manoeuvre very quickly in the game. I think I mentioned before, that my first view of WCIV was watching my cousin play a mission where the Vesuvius does a U-turn, and I pointed out that it was turning ridiculously fast inflight.

You should probably read this extremely lengthy discussion, as that question is one of the key points we've been discussing (G)

Back