Guys, we should reanimate WC !

I'm not really interested in Freelancer, but I suppose good things come to those who wait. It'd be a real shame if it doesn't turn out to be worth waiting for...

Too many *lancer games... can't remember the Digital Anvil space sim that was supposed to come out whenever...

WINGNUT NEWS - FREELANCER PART XXXI

Originally posted by mpanty
Don't be silly Ghost! Freelancer will eventually come out... :) one day...:eek: hopefully...
:(

WHEREVER THE HELL DIGITAL ANVIL IS - PC Gamer's Top Game of 1999 is
allegedly back on track, says the intrepid news magazine, who also reports developer
Digital Anvil is prepping for a Fall 2002 release.

"Creating 50 systems with four to 12 bases each, and a completely open world to fly
through, takes a lot of time" says project leader Phil Wattenbarger in the May 2002 issue.
Author Rob Smith picks up, "While the game is entirely open ended, meaning you can go
just about anywhere at anytime and take any mission you want, you also play as hero
Trent Edison, who's the focus of a bigger story set up by an entertaini9ngopening
cut-scene. According to lead designer Jorg Neumann, if you stick to the strict story path,
you'll see only about one-eighth of the game". Although it is clear Digital Anvil is
dedicated to creating a massive, persistent universe, some are troubled by the
"dumbing-down" of space combat, which is entirely controlled with the mouse to create a
more RPG-like experience.

Even though release is slated for later this year, PC Gamer reports the game as being "only
60% done", which as fanlight Lancers Reactor notes, means "we should see Freelancer in
2 years". The game is notorious for its incredibly lengthily delay, and there is concern
among some fans that the game will suck. "Freelancer will suck, like its spiritual cousin
Daikatana, and no one who buys the game will keep it for long", predicts Wing
Commander fan Frosty. Although it is true that Daikatana did suck, another notable ION
Storm development, Anachronox, did not, although it appears to have languished in the
sales department.

Still, other fans remain hopeful. "i mean is it gonna do like Privateer 2 : the darkening or
like Starlancers Personaly im hoping for it to go like Priv 2" says Warstroke of the
Lancers Reactor forums. "oh incase you lived under a rock in 1996 and never played Priv
2 its an open ended space sim rpg that kicks the llama's Buttocks imagin you wake up
after being found in a cryo pod on a crashed medica ship the doctors dont know who you
are and neither do you. you fly around space and kill, trade and do missons to earn your
money to build your self the best ship this side of BEX (the Beer Manufacturing planet of
the game)"

Will Freelancer emulate its illustrious ancestors' success? . . . or follow the godfather to
the grave? Tune in next decade for the exciting conclusion! Same Wing-time, same
Wing-channel!

I am not sure about that clicking-mouse-autopilot-combat-thingy, I think i'd prefer to be in control of my ship (no-one to blame except myself as I pick the shrapnel out of my backside huh?....)

You can't judge something until you've played it, can you? Though I suppose it'd be better if the mouse-click method isn't compulsory

Originally posted by Bob McDob
...project leader Phil Wattenbarger...
A familiar name in several Origin products, I'm sure. I assume that's a good thing.

Originally posted by Wedge009
You can't judge something until you've played it, can you? Though I suppose it'd be better if the mouse-click method isn't compulsory

IIRC, its up to the player, but don't quote me on that. If I remember correctly, its supposed to make combat less twitchy for those who don't have the reflexes necessary to beat off hordes of the enemy, with the corrolary that if you DO have the reflexes, you'll be able to play that way, as well.

If I remember right, you can chose to use a joystick, but the game will be more set up for the mouse-clicking thing. (I think it's because most people aren't nuts like us, and treat/use our joysticks as extensions of our bodies. :) )

But I think it's like junior said, and it's your choice, but set up to compensate for those not highly into/skilled at flight sims.

Originally posted by Skyfire
I think it's because most people aren't nuts like us, and treat/use our joysticks as extensions of our bodies.
That's right, I'm not a nut like you. ;)

Originally posted by Skyfire
If I remember right, you can chose to use a joystick, but the game will be more set up for the mouse-clicking thing. (I think it's because most people aren't nuts like us, and treat/use our joysticks as extensions of our bodies. :) )

But I think it's like junior said, and it's your choice, but set up to compensate for those not highly into/skilled at flight sims.

Joysticks are extensions of our bodies, silly! (at least in the male's case)

Never could get on with joysticks. The plastic game controller things BTW, before anyone gets any funny ideas after Wulf's little comment. Bless 'im.
Also, I prefer the Vision engine to those of the Starlancer and Freespace 2. It just seems slicker and more fun. In the Vision engine they just got something fundamentally right IMHO. Anyway, who really needs bump-mapping in a space sim. You should be smashing the enemy, not casually taking in the scenery.

Back