Guys, we should reanimate WC !

Originally posted by TC
that accounts for like 8 (randomly picked number) ships, when you include the retextured WC3 capships in WC4

I would imagine that there are several dozen 'texture variations' in WC...

I don't want to count :( Anyway, that's beside the point... they aren't sprites with a different palette.

The only non-same ships I can think of right now are the JSalthi and the Salthi/Shok'lar

Wing Commander online = solution

Maybe they should make Wing Commander online? It's a solid idea. All you need is fighter pilots and marines (for the Quake crowd) slap em together and there ya go...no..wait..this is the year 2002...? Damn ..modem users..not gonna work...hmmm..
Ok change of plans make another game but this time use perfection graphics! ahh a realistic idea!
A side note: Jumpgate=Everquest
Massive online gaming note: perma death + armageddon battle types scenerio pre-settings=sucess
Go fourth and make games game makers!..wha?..game makers?? where are you game makers???

If we were to do this, what engine would we use? Prophecy's beginnning to feel a bit outdated(sorry!). If someone were willing to do this, wouldn't it be best to wait for a truly modern enginge to hit the PC? I mean, with bump-mapping and vertex shaders and per-pixel lighting. When a new WC game comes out(or when a homebrew WC mod is made), I'd like it to take advantage of some of the GeForce 3/4's features.

God knows when the next Space-sim will be out..:eek:
I like the Vision engine, it has very good graphics and run fast in today´s standard-machine., maybe a mix between the B-render engine and the Vision if possible?

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
If we were to do this, what engine would we use? Prophecy's beginnning to feel a bit outdated(sorry!)
Nay, the Vision engine is just starting to get fun. ;) The other day, myself and KW ran a test with capships from my project on his system (Celeron 600Mhz, 128Mb RAM, GF2 video card) and we got 7 CVEs and 7 Waterloos to fly around the same navpoint with not a single drop in framerate... then we stopped testing because I won't ever need more than 14 capships on the same navpoint :p :D

(Of course, fighters will be added to the equation in the final thing, but a dozen fighters doesn't seem to affect the framerate nearly as much as a single capship, presumably due to the way collision detection is handled for capships)

--Eder

New Engines

The problem with waiting for a new engine is that someone has to pick it apart and figure out how to program for it. That along with all the features you want to take advantage of. The Vision engine is the current ideal choice because there are so many people here with experience in it. It may not be quite up to par with some things released recently, but it is quite an update from WC1, 2, 3, and 4, which, if i understand correctly, is what the goal is here.

Originally posted by Ghost
God knows when the next Space-sim will be out..:eek:

Freelancer is (finally) due out later this year.
Hopefully, it will be amazingly good and start a whole new revolution in the space sim market, but I'm not nearly that upbeat about its prospects.

Originally posted by Ghost

Now tell me a bad one !

Bah!
MS has been showing it off quite a bit lately, as well as announcing what appears to be a fairly firm release window (which I can't remember off the top of my head). It's been mentioned a few times here on the boards lately.

Originally posted by Zor Prime
...14 capships at one nav point... sounds fun!
Reminds me of how someone hacked Privateer into making one of the systems their 'home' with several Steltek drones for wingmen. :) There was supposed to be a limit of something like 20 ships before Priv crashes.

Back