Guys, we should reanimate WC !

Originally posted by jammyo2k
Anyway, who really needs bump-mapping in a space sim. You should be smashing the enemy, not casually taking in the scenery.

Yes, I guess I can see where you are coming from. Hopefully when a new Wing Commander game is released they will have corrected this 'error'. I think that they did pretty good considering.

Originally posted by jammyo2k
Anyway, who really needs bump-mapping in a space sim. You should be smashing the enemy, not casually taking in the scenery.

Why can't you have both?

Originally posted by Meson

Why can't you have both?

Because bump mapping in the engine would make most people's computer's explode when Prophecy was put out, which would be bad.

Originally posted by TC

Because bump mapping in the engine would make most people's computer's explode when Prophecy was put out, which would be bad.

Not so; Most consumer-level computers this year are shipping with GeForce 2s, and most high-end machines are shipping with GeForce 3s or 4s. Next year, you'll probably have at least the bump-mapping capable GeForce 3 card pre-installed in most consumer level machines. Since we know a new WC isn't in development, and since we're talking about starting a new WC project, it's perfectly feasible for the developer to use bump mapping in their engine, given that development and then PR and then Beta testing would all take at least a year. The graphics card world is developing much faster than the world of the PC's own CPU; by next year, a GeForce 3 will be cheap enough to be accessible by anyone.

Re: ...

Originally posted by WildWeasel
TC was talking about computers that were around when Prophecy was put out.

Reading is good. You should try it.

I was under the impression that jammyo2k and Meson(to whom TC was replying) were talking about a new engine, for a new game. So I made a mistake/misread: But that's not a reason to be mean— everyone makes mistakes, for heaven's sakes. It wasn't like I was flaming hime or anything. Don't people at the CZ ever try and correct others calmly before reaming them a new one?

Is someone here a necromancer or something? I've never heard of reanimating games, to raise them from the dead...

But as a side note, if they're recreating Ultimas 1-IV as fan-projects (if those haven't been stopped by EA), why not a WC fan project... if it's properly done? That's the issue. :D

Originally posted by WildWeasel
That was calm. You're misinterpreting.

"Reading is good. You should try it" may be calm, but it is sort of mean. Who knows? Maybe I'm oversensitive. Anyways, what about an easy to make shareware-style tribute? Instead of trying to create a game of commercial 3D quality, WC fans could create brand new, fun and easy-to make shareware-type games. Like a side-scrolling, gradius or R-Type-style game, with WC ships. Or asteroid-style recreations of all those ateroid-field levels in WC 1. I think actually attempting to create a good Wing Commander game in full 3D with a decent engine would fall short(to say the least) of what we expect from WC, whereas a simple little 2D shareware tribute would be easy to create and wouldn't bear the weight of the amazingly great past WC games on it's shoulders.

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
"Reading is good. You should try it" may be calm, but it is sort of mean. Who knows? Maybe I'm oversensitive.

No, you're not oversensitive. My comment was mean. That was the intention.

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant

Instead of trying to create a game of commercial 3D quality, WC fans could create brand new, fun and easy-to make shareware-type games. Like a side-scrolling, gradius or R-Type-style game, with WC ships. Or asteroid-style recreations of all those ateroid-field levels in WC 1...........a simple little 2D shareware tribute would be easy to create and wouldn't bear the weight of the amazingly great past WC games on it's shoulders.

Yeah I agree , they have the potential to be fun and a decent story can be told through them if its done right............

I didnt try it but wasnt there a Flash WC game advertised on the news page? Could be worth a look.

Also try Subspace with the WC mod.....

Originally posted by Wedge009
That's right, I'm not a nut like you. ;)

*holds chest* Oh, oh that hurts Wedge. :p

Originally posted by Wulf

Joysticks are extensions of our bodies, silly! (at least in the male's case)

*blink blink* :eek:

BTW-You all can welcome me back now. ;) Final week of classes were goin' on, had to jump out for a bit...and you'd be amazed at all you can miss in a week.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Point-and-click with crazy misspellings, but pretty good for three days' effort. :)

Excellent work Wedge, that kept me and my friends entertained for for a while. I liked the 2 player option, multiplayer wingcommander at last. Are you going to extend with more ships, weapons etc?

Back