Guilty Pleasures: Silverscreen Edition

Jesus said:
but...but...Microchlodrians! Clorians! Whatever they are, they basically flunked the first three episodes. Well, in my opinion.

Wouldn't it be kinda hard for them to flunk the third movie, when they weren't even mentioned in it, let alone play any significant part?

Come to think of it, I don't recall mention of it in the second movie, either, though on Ep2 my memory is somewhat questionable, so I may not be correct.

"Videodrone" with James Woods. :-P
One of the first movies I remember watching when I was living overseas. I was about seven at the time. *LOL*
The plot barely made sense, but the FX was cool and very effective. LIke that whole slot-in-the-belly thing! (I swear, I wish we could resurrect Freud, just so we can get his take on that scene! *LOL*)
And it does have some great lines; still gets me laughing.
*Brandishing VHS tape* "Carefull... it bites."

Death said:
Wouldn't it be kinda hard for them to flunk the third movie, when they weren't even mentioned in it, let alone play any significant part?

Come to think of it, I don't recall mention of it in the second movie, either, though on Ep2 my memory is somewhat questionable, so I may not be correct.

My bad, I meant the first three made. Episodes 4, 5, and 6 were all very reliant on how mystical the force was, something only special beings could achieve and weild, not something you could have injected into your system. Sure, they still have good acting and plot, but they no longer have that mystical awe of the force if you think of it that way.

Death said:

Midichorians were mentioned in Episode III during Palpatine's discussion on the legend of Darth Plagus. (There was no mention of them in Episode II)

Jesus said:
My bad, I meant the first three made. Episodes 4, 5, and 6 were all very reliant on how mystical the force was, something only special beings could achieve and weild, not something you could have injected into your system. Sure, they still have good acting and plot, but they no longer have that mystical awe of the force if you think of it that way.

I don't mean to turn this into a Star Wars thread, but I'll put in my 2 cents. By watching the original trilogy, we already know that the ability to wield the force is genetic, otherwise not everyone in the Skywalker family would be able to. Right off the bat it is obvious that it is something that is passed on to offspring. The "mysticism" you refer to only existed because you never really thought about it before, just like me.

Sarty said:
The "mysticism" you refer to only existed because you never really thought about it before, just like me.

Lucas undid the entire point of the OT with the creation of midichlorians. It was that same "mysticism" that Luke destroyed the Death Star with, being robbed of all things technical (targeting computer, R2-D2, etc). Making midichlorians was an attempt to

And you can talk to your dead master's ghost when you go to Tatooine

find a literal interpertation of faith or God.

Lucas faith is a little odd, perahps due to reading too much Joseph Campbell. The pseudo-gnostic taoism of OT Yoda is much better than the naturalistic explanation given with the midichorians on the PT. Where's the transendence on that? Such "god" is too close to pantheism and puts SW too much away from classic western spirituality, and too close to its current from, what is something Lucas was trying to get away with OT.

Lucas says the 70’s was too pessimistic and had no interest on spirituality, and he put the Force on the movies to counter that. Fine. To give the force a natural explanation is to take that away.

Not that any of this has any relevance to most fans, it seems.

Delance said:
The pseudo-gnostic taoism of OT Yoda is much better than the naturalistic explanation given with the midichorians on the PT. Where's the transendence on that? Such "god" is too close to pantheism and puts SW too much away from classic western spirituality

The best part is that Anakin is (unexpectedly - but the comparison is so spot-on) basicly a bashing of Christ. The child born of a higher power, the charasmatic personality, the fact he's "stronger" in the Force than anyone else - yet the whole ability to use "telekinesis" (which, in a Christian view, is work of the Devil) and the whole HAHA EVIL fate in Episode III made a lot of stupid hardcore catholics nervous.

LeHah said:
stupid hardcore catholics nervous.

There probably can't be stupid hardcore catholics, because being stupid goes against the catholic principle of faith and reason. So the stupidity neutralizes the hardcore part, so to speak.

There's the descent into hell, done in no uncertain terms and confirmed by Lucas on an interview. The result is not very coherent, with Palpatine defending relativism and Obi-Wan complaining that only a Sith deals with absolutes a few scenes later. Lucas was probably just getting random references and mixing them up, and making some political commentary.

Delance said:
There probably can't be stupid hardcore catholics, because being stupid goes against the catholic principle of faith and reason.

Augh. Don't make me cut and paste Ludwig Feuerbach again.

Delance said:
There's the descent into hell, done in no uncertain terms and confirmed by Lucas on an interview.

Eh - they did that back in ESB with Bespin (Hell within Heaven)

In a visual nature, Bespin is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Or something.

It's a city in the clouds, usually brightly lit, astheticly pleasing and has muted, pastel colors. Very "heavenly" while the carbon freezing chamber is extremely dark with red accents and as further down Luke goes, the darker it gets until he finds himself near a seemingly botomless chasm.

ChrisReid said:
my Ben Affleck collection.

Oh man, check out this killer Ben Affleck chair.
http://www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0,,50001-1189924,00.html
1317098.jpg

Maj.Striker said:
Meh, I much preferred his role as the evil villian in "The Scarlet Pimpernel." Kudos to anyone who has seen the movie and knows what I'm referring to.

Sink me, my good fellow. :p

Great movie, that.

quick 2 cents worth? Hudson Hawk is fun, but the cream of my guilty pleasures has to be the Evil Dead Trilogy..

I guess films I've enjoyed that many didn't seem to would include Judge Dredd and Grosse Point Blank

Another film I think might fall into this categor is "Night of the comet"

Back