Guilty Pleasures: Silverscreen Edition

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
So plain and simple: What's your guilty pleasure? Whats the one movie in your DVD (or VHS) collection that you know is absolute crap, that pretty much everyone agrees is complete crap, yet for you it has some kind of je-ne-sais-quoi - something that puts a big grin on your face and put's you in a chipper mood.

Now a few ground rules:

1/ While technicaly speaking the WC movie wasn't great, (althought I actually enjoy pulling it out and watching it now and then). The honest reviewers noted that while the movie had high production values, the end result was ultimately forgettable. So for the sake of peace (and fairness) the WC movie doesnt count as far as this thread is concerned.

2/ Do not - I repeat - DO NOT reply to other peoples movie posts with comments of the You-must-be-an-idiot-if-you-like-that-movie sort. That is just totally contrary to the nature of this thread.

3/ Also, please try to include a brief description of why you like it, or how it affects you.

The only one in my collection that I can think of at the moment isn't really a good example: The fifth element. I like the cinematography (by same guy as WC I think?) humor and the Taxi scene... I get a chuckle out of the "balloon" head appendage on the opera singer and while the Look is goofy I has a wierd charm. It may not be the best example, but I'll look through my collection and see if I can find anything more appropriate for this thread.

AD said:
So plain and simple: What's your guilty pleasure? Whats the one movie in your DVD (or VHS) collection that you know is absolute crap, that pretty much everyone agrees is complete crap, yet for you it has some kind of je-ne-sais-quoi - something that puts a big grin on your face and put's you in a chipper mood.

Well, I'm never one to admit that anything I like could possibly be crappy or that everyone else doesn't love what I like, but occasionally I get some remarks about my Ben Affleck collection. http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AGQ5S.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
He's definitely my favorite actor. There's not a single Ben Affleck movie I've found that hasn't been thoroughly entertaining. Paycheck, Armadageddon and Pearl Harbor are cool action flims. Jersey Girl, Gigli and Forces of Nature are amusing romantic comedies. DareDevil and Phantoms are a lot of fun. Affleck really boosts the several Kevin Smith movies he stars in. Sum of All Fears and Changing Lanes are great dramas. Not to mention the classics like Bounce, Reindeer Games and Good Will Hunting.

Sometimes people assume I then like Matt Damon, but it's exactly the opposite. I hate that guy. I actually fell asleep in the theater during Bourne Supremacy.

American Ninja II

completely over the top, waves after waves of ninja's coming out of ceilings,
kitchen cabinets, chimney's.. and jackson going " heyyyyy, NINJA's" made this
almost the most ridicoulous part of the entire quintology, part four is even worse
with fighting the cyborg ninja, but sadly i do not have that one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092548/

Logan's Run

The first time I watched it, in bed with some horrible children's illness (pneumonia? measles? mumps? rubella? chickenpox? The Plague?) in a deserted hospital ward on new year's eve was a magic moment. Although the movie is pretty good, too. Plus it has lots of cats in it.

@Chris: Finally we have something in common. Although Dogma lost out against Logan's Run as a clear second - and has Matt Damon in it.

The Day The Earth Stood Still. I really don't know why I like it but when I first moved in with my stepfather(I was 5), my mom went out for a day so he showed me some movies that he used to watch when he was a kid which included The Day the Earth Stood Still and I've loved it since. One thing I do love is the fact that Klaatu ends up being Gort's pet. It puts Klaatu's line "I'm worried about Gort. I'm afraid of what he might do, if anything ahould happen to me", in a new light.

Klaatu Barada Nikto :D

Hmm, now this is a good thread. there's actually several in my collection that I've recently found a new appreciation for. I would suppose that most of them, however, are considered "hated" or loathed by the general populace. The most recent movie, however, that I just found a great new love for is "Rio Lobo." It's a Western Movie with John Wayne at his best. The basic premise is the move starts out near the end of the Civil War and John Wayne is a Yankee Colonel in charge of protecting shipment of gold, a rebel outfit manages to steal the gold but John Wayne captures the two commanders and sends them to prison. Obviously someone has been slipping the rebs information about the gold shipments and John Wayne takes it personally. After the war is over, John Wayne meets the two rebs as they're released from prison and kindly invites them for a drink. They get chummy and they tell him who gave the information. they head down to Texas for a good ole' shoot 'em up and everyone lives happily after. There are several classic lines in the movie that really just struck me funny.

(Scenario: Girl had just fainted so John Wayne and ex-Rebel take her up to his room. She wakes up in bed a few hours later while they're talking about the bad guys).

Girl: "Where are my clothes?!"
Rebel: "I took them off when you feinted."
Girl: "How dare you! Why did you take them off?"
Rebel: "Because he and I (pointing to John Wayne) flipped a coin and he lost!"

I thought that was hilarious for an old western. If you get a chance to watch it, I definitely recommend it.

Masters of the Universe

I guess it’s something to do with the inner child I have in me. :)
I don’t remember how many years have passed since I saw it for the first time, but at that time I was kid and thought the movie was amazing.
There are other movies but right now this is the one I remember.

I recognised your Avatar the first time I saw it. :)
Honestly, when I was a kid I thought differently but nowadays Skeletor is my favourite character in the movie.

AD said:
The only one in my collection that I can think of at the moment isn't really a good example: The fifth element. I like the cinematography (by same guy as WC I think?) humor and the Taxi scene... I get a chuckle out of the "balloon" head appendage on the opera singer and while the Look is goofy I has a wierd charm. It may not be the best example, but I'll look through my collection and see if I can find anything more appropriate for this thread.
Well, I really like The Fifth Element. I don’t think it’s bad, actually I think it’s a great Sci-Fi movie with good especial effects, humour, lots of fun situations and in the end tries, with relative success, to send an important message to the audience.

And I have remembered another movie that fans and the critics didn’t like but I feel a great joy in watching from time to time, it’s Judge Dredd with Sylvester Stallone. I love that movie. But that is probably because I’ve never read the comic and as consequence I don’t know that universe very well.

Kilrah said:
Honestly, when I was a kid I thought differently but nowadays Skeletor is my favourite character in the movie.

It's Frank Langella, for crissakes. The guy has been doing theater for forever. It's the same kinda coup we'd see when Ian McKellan took the roll of Magneto.

I agree on biggles "ïf you can fly a sopwith camel, you can fly anything!!!"

As for pearl harbor, i found struggling through pacific strike a LOT more fun then that movie...

also, masters of the universe is a nice flick, making the poor mistake of mixing eternia events and sending special characters to earth....

dolph lundgren was the perfect he-man, unfortunately the movie focused too much on the events on earth, still in good fun, like the chicken bucket and the comments of man-at-arms on "this used to be an animal?"

I hope dolph would get another chance in the planned marvel movie for "journey into mystery" as thor, but when this movie should come out he will probably be 54 years old something.

Airwolf Season One for me. :D
I grew up on Airwolf. When I came home from Elementary school Airwolf would start a half hour later, followed by The A-Team and I think Street Hawk was the third. I loved all three shows in that block but Airwolf was always my number one.
Watching the DVD set now it's pretty cheesy, even the menu setup is kind of cheesy, but it still gets me going when they crank up the engines and that theme music kicks in.

Hmmmm.....I have several films I keep in my home office and play once a week or so while I'm working away from my job. I don't ever watch them with anyone else so maybe they are guilty pleasures? Included are the Mad Max trilogy, Red Planet, Event Horizon, Pitch Black, Battlestar Galactica (original film), Mission to Mars, and a few others. I like them because they are geeky Sci-Fi cheese, and each one has something pretty cool about it. Besides, no one else has to like them, right?

LeHah said:
It's Frank Langella, for crissakes. The guy has been doing theater for forever. It's the same kinda coup we'd see when Ian McKellan took the roll of Magneto.
You know, until from about 3 years ago I didn’t care much who were the actors that performed a certain character in the movies I saw. When I met this guy at my job that just loves cinema in all its extent and knows everything form the directors and actors, I’ve started to pay more attention to those details. Nowadays when I watch a movie I like to observe the director’s choices as well the actor’s performances. That is why I am finding now that certain characters that I knew for a long time are much more interesting than it seemed to me in the beginning. Obviously that is also why certain movies gave me so much joy.
As for Ian McKellan, he was the best choice for the roll of Magneto, he is simply brilliant (as he is performing Gandalf).

Meh, I much preferred his role as the evil villian in "The Scarlet Pimpernel." Kudos to anyone who has seen the movie and knows what I'm referring to.

Back