Guilty Pleasures: Silverscreen Edition

Maj.Striker said:
Meh, I much preferred his role as the evil villian in "The Scarlet Pimpernel." Kudos to anyone who has seen the movie and knows what I'm referring to.
I haven’t seen that movie. Honestly I don’t even know if it’s possible to find it here in Portugal. Being a TV movie, I’ve made a search at imdb, I think it is improbable to be found in a video renting store. Maybe it will be shown on TV or maybe it has already been and I didn’t realised. :)
In the future I’ll pay more attention to that.

Maj.Striker said:
Meh, I much preferred his role as the evil villian in "The Scarlet Pimpernel." Kudos to anyone who has seen the movie and knows what I'm referring to.

Isnt that the duck thing?

BigsWickDagger said:
.....Pitch Black....
ME TOO!!! I have both Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick. Love them both. I just love the ideal of the anti-hero. Event-Horizon was really good also, but I don't have it... I'm certain I could find it somewhere cheap thought.

'Serial Mom' - Kathleen Turner, Rikki lake and matthew lillard and 'that lawyer guy off law and order'.

crazy black comedy about a serial killer mom, just really silly and apparently loosely based around a real person. picked it up for £3 in hmv not so long ago :)

"The Shadow", With Alec Baldwin.
I liked how dark the "hero" is supposed to be, compared to all these "true-blue" heroes that we're used to be seeing. It's good to have a antihero as a lead. The st and costume designs were top-notch. And I loved the end song, "Original Sin", lyrics by Jim Steinmen. (Love his music).
Even though the effects/Cg works were blatently obvious (Even in that time) and the plot and the direction seems very chopped-apart, I still like it somehow.

"Exterminator 2". Another exploitational vigillante 80's film. About a guy (Who for no apparent reason) walks around town flaming criminals with a flamethrower (yep, a flamethrower). Yep, cheaply-made tripe made from the same producers who made the "Missing in Action" films. <G>. Why I like it? Dunno, maybe it has something to do with the finale; whereas a ordinary garbage truck has been converted into a armored tank, complete with a snow plow as a battering ram. :) The villian, on the other hand, has a dark appeal as well. Played by Mario van Peebles. The role, while watching, I think was the precursor to "Simon Pheonix" in "Demolition Man".

Pirates of the Carribean. Its a great film for once, but mostly people try ot think deeper about it then, and they realize its just a fairytale :D Then they start saying that it sux, its stupid, and they'll never admit that they saw such a ridicolous film :D

I won't explain why I love it so much, it would take a couple of hours :D
"bring me the horizon.."

My guilty pleasures? Watching Thunderbirds. The 2004 movie, I mean.

I was there at the theater opening day. 19 years old, and I swear I was the only person in that theater (there were about 50 of us) who wasn't under 10 or over 30. Very, very awkward...

When I was watching the movie, I had a ton of fun. It was hokey, sure, but fun. Two hours well spent, and then I walked out of the theater. I started thinking about the movie more, and I thought "What in the holy hell did I just watch? That movie sucked ass! It wasn't anywhere near as good as the original TV show!" My thoughts on the movie are somewhat odd...when I'm watching it, I have fun. But afterwards, I feel like I've just wasted two hours. Very love/hate relationship with that movie...

Marc said:
ME TOO!!! I have both Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick. Love them both. I just love the ideal of the anti-hero. Event-Horizon was really good also, but I don't have it... I'm certain I could find it somewhere cheap thought.

I think all three of them were recognized as pretty good sci-fi movies, if not generally highly rated.

lorddarthvik said:
I won't explain why I love it so much, it would take a couple of hours :D

It doesn't take a couple hours to write "Keira Knightley."

I disagree with the implications that Fifth Element and Pirates of the Caribbean are crap.

Mine would probably be Johnny Mnemonic. It's not very good, but I just love the cyberpunk setting and the weirdness (like a dolphin hacking into Keanu Reeves's brain and the weird cyber Jesus guy who goes around killing people relentlessly) Plus, it has Henry Rollins and Henry Rollins is awesome.

That's ok, Tre, I disagree with the implication that 5E wasn't crap.

C'est la fucking vie, I guess.

I have loads of these types of DVDs....and yes, all comments below are my own opinions and my taste is weird - I'm certainly no "Siskel & Ebert".

The Robocop trilogy (certainly, the first one was great and the second one was poor, and the third was so bad, its beyond description).

The Back To The Future trilogy (first was great, second was good, third was poor).

Grosse Point Blank (love this film, but everyone else that I've forced to watch it have hated it with passion :confused: )

The 6th Day (you can't beat a good ol Arnie flick - especially with lines like "I'm all thumbs today" and "Stand like a man, chest out, stomach in" :) )

ChrisReid said:
It doesn't take a couple hours to write "Keira Knightley."

Whos that? Was she playing the girl? I didn know. I really meant tha I luved every single moment in the film, the characters and stuff. Ya know, not everyone is so simple minded LoL
Yesterday I saw Sin City. I got a ticket for tomorrow, and probably I'm gonna watch it for 3-4 times. Gotta love that one. I usually hate films made from picturenovells like spiderman, but this one is somehting else :D Men, I'm getting simpleminded :D

A Mark Hamill Classic: Slipstream

It also starred Bob Peck (the ‘expert’ hunter in Jurassic Park) and a young Bill Paxton (Jeff Tracy in Thunderbirds, another movie I liked. Silly in a good way. BTW, did anyone notice Frakes spoofing of the original cast being marionettes? In the scene on board the space station, watch a short scene when Paxton reaches for the controls…). It was an unusual, alternative post-holocaust movie that was made in England. Interesting plot, if somewhat convoluted at times.

Death Wish for me.

Five were made, and although the IMDB rating gets lower with each sequel, I have to say I like them all. I like the vigilante theme and Charles Bronson had a great screen presence. Some of the biggest stars of today played a street punk in a Death Wish movie early in their career.

rpg_pro said:
A Mark Hamill Classic: Slipstream

(See Other Avatar)

Attachments

• LeHahGFF.jpeg
    LeHahGFF.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 313
Maj.Striker said:
The most recent movie, however, that I just found a great new love for is "Rio Lobo."

But how is that a guilty pleasure? The Duke rocks!, and I believe he still comes out on top when people are surveyed about their favorite actor.

KrisV said:
Death Wish for me.

Five were made, and although the IMDB rating gets lower with each sequel, I have to say I like them all. I like the vigilante theme and Charles Bronson had a great screen presence. Some of the biggest stars of today played a street punk in a Death Wish movie early in their career.

Bronson was the king of the one-liners. "Do you believe in Jesus? Well you're gonna meet him." - BANG

The library where I work has begun converting its VHS collection to DVD. Recently we got in several of the old Clint Eastwood "Spaghetti Westerns." A Fist Full of Dollars and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly were great!

Erm...this is a reeeeaally guilty pleasure. Mainly since it's only nowdays considered a weird stupid cult film.

Anyways, I've always been fond of Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!, a movie about a crop of tomatoes that becomes alive and starts attacking people. It had a sequel and a TV show, I never got to see either, but I've heard they're just as weird. Anyways, even if this movie has poor humor, a stupid plot, horrible acting and an unresolved feeling ending, there's something to it that I just enjoy watching it. Then again, I watch more Cult films than most people, so I guess that adds to it a bit.

Oh, and I'm also a huge fan of The Mouse that Roared!, which is an equally corny and stupid movie.

Guilty pleasures ? I've got to say Star Wars Ep. I and II. I know it's bad, too much SFX, bad acting, whatever, but c'mon, it's Star Wars !

Shooter said:
Guilty pleasures ? I've got to say Star Wars Ep. I and II. I know it's bad, too much SFX, bad acting, whatever, but c'mon, it's Star Wars !

but...but...Microchlodrians! Clorians! Whatever they are, they basically flunked the first three episodes. Well, in my opinion.

Back