Guess how fast the Enterprise goes under impulse power?

About .25c is the stated federation speed limit of full impulse to prevent relativistic effects...

In Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan, near the end of the movie, the Reliant is disabled, and Khan starts the Genisis device. The Enterprise is nearby, but a short distance away. Kirk tells Sulu to get them out of there, and pole smoker David says they have four minutes until detonation. A few minutes later, Kirk asks time and distance, and at three minutes and thirty seconds, they are 4,000 kilometers away. So I figure that the Enterprise goes 1,000 kilometers a minute, or 16.666(etc) kilometers per second, or 16.6 kps. Pretty darn slow. Or fast. Depends on your standards. :D :D :D

Wow, you are a genius. I'm amazed MENSA isn't banging down your door right now. You could discover the secrets of the universe!

Bob McDob said:
Wow, you are a genius. I'm amazed MENSA isn't banging down your door right now. You could discover the secrets of the universe!

Sarcasm-o-meter destroyed.
Mission acomplished.

Remember during that movie the Enterprise was pretty badly damaged. Those numbers probably aren't what it does at full, working-condition impulse.

I wasn't trying to impress anyone - the quote was just fitting for what I was saying. I'm perfectly aware that everyone know's that quote - it just made too much sense to quote it at that time.

Well warp 1 is light speed in all of the series. After that it depends on which timeframe your talking about. For tng, ds9, voyager you have:

Warp: Times Speed of light

2: 10
3: 39
4: 102
5: 215
6: 392
7: 656
8: 1024
9: 1516
9.2: 1649
9.6: 1909
9.9: 3053
9.99: 7912

They call it "Warp drive" for a reason you know :).

While you cannot go faster than c *locally*, there's no reason why you can't warp space so that your destination is closer and your departure area is further away...

Of course, every Star Trek series has its own warp scale, for who knows what reason.

the original series was the only differing one. the rest where the same. in the original series they sometimes went upwards of warp 14 which is impossible in the later shows. tos used a cubed method for speeds, or x*x*x= speed i.e. warp 5 is 5*5*5 or 125 times speed of light. it was changed for the later series because roddenberry thought that a speed limit should be imposed so the show did not move too fast visiting the entire galaxy
jim

Bob McDob said:
1. Wow, you are a genius. 2. I'm amazed MENSA isn't banging down your door right now. 3. You could discover the secrets of the universe!

1. If yew wusn't so slow, yew wudda noticed sooner.

2. Buncha morons. (Idea!) They should go see you.

3. Child's play. Been there, done that. I even got the t-shirt. :D

Back