Guess how fast the Enterprise goes under impulse power?

LeHah said:
Not to mention, he failed to say which Enterprise...

English Reading and Comprehension 101:

Actually READING post #6 clearly indicates Enterprise D. :rolleyes:

Ripper said:
In Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan, near the end of the movie, the Reliant is disabled, and Khan starts the Genisis device. The Enterprise is nearby, but a short distance away. Kirk tells Sulu to get them out of there, and pole smoker David says they have four minutes until detonation. A few minutes later, Kirk asks time and distance, and at three minutes and thirty seconds, they are 4,000 kilometers away. So I figure that the Enterprise goes 1,000 kilometers a minute, or 16.666(etc) kilometers per second, or 16.6 kps. Pretty darn slow. Or fast. Depends on your standards. :D :D :D

This is the post #6...Where indicates that is the D?
Don´t be Stupid!

Uh, it was stupid to read the post where it said STAR TREK II, THE WRATH OF KHAN and not be able to figure out which Enterprise it was. :rolleyes:

By the way, how did we get from impulse power to warp speed? I don't recall anyone saying "Engage." :D

But you know what is more stupid?
This:

Ripper said:
English Reading and Comprehension 101:

Actually READING post #6 clearly indicates Enterprise D. :rolleyes:

Try to use your own advice,bucko

Well, I got the joke. I guess it loses a little something going to plain text. :(

Dude, Ghost just ruined you. That's gotta sting. Sit down and take a moment to reflect on what just happened.

You didn't get it either? Zounds! I flabbergast! I not beleiving my sensory apparatus!

Must I explain it?

I guess so.

I said Enterprise D in that one post because that is the TNG one(Right?) But the ST II Enterprise is the ORIGINAL series Enterprise, refitted in the original ST movie, and unchanged for ST II. I thought I knew which ship was which, but I guess ol' Ghost really showed me. :rolleyes:

The Sarcasm-o-meter must still be broken. MAINTENANCE to the bridge, on the double! :p

That joke just stunk! My joke about Smeagul as McGuyver at least made some sense after I explained it.

It's O.K. I never said it was a GOOD joke. But anyway, people are just going to see what they want to see when they read something. No big deal.

Your joke was so bad, Iceblade, it made me want to harvest kitten's eyes.

But that would be illegal, and unethical.

Tsk Tsk. I thought you were a better person than that. I am so very disappointed in you. I thought you were a kind, sensitive, caring person, deeply interested in the well being of your fellow man. :(

Ripper said:
In Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan, near the end of the movie, the Reliant is disabled, and Khan starts the Genisis device. The Enterprise is nearby, but a short distance away. Kirk tells Sulu to get them out of there, and pole smoker David says they have four minutes until detonation. A few minutes later, Kirk asks time and distance, and at three minutes and thirty seconds, they are 4,000 kilometers away. So I figure that the Enterprise goes 1,000 kilometers a minute, or 16.666(etc) kilometers per second, or 16.6 kps. Pretty darn slow. Or fast. Depends on your standards. :D :D :D

Actually, the enterprise was not moving at 16.666 the whole time....

The enterprise also began reversing, and then turned 180, and then began accelerating. I'm guessing it would be moving slower when going in reverse.

-Concordia

Ripper said:
Uh, it was stupid to read the post where it said STAR TREK II, THE WRATH OF KHAN and not be able to figure out which Enterprise it was. :rolleyes:

By the way, how did we get from impulse power to warp speed? I don't recall anyone saying "Engage." :D

Actually, Kirk said "Mr Scotty, GO ZOOM!" And then Sulu hit the warp drive an the enterprise turned into a bright glowing streak and disappeared. The Reliant then exploded, and the nebula disappeared for some reason, it didn't get blown outwards, it didn't get sucked inwards, it just disappeared :p

The enterprise races away at Warp Speed using a new special effect then it did at the beginning of the movie :p

In the beginning of the movie it used the same "blue streak" as it did during The Motion Picture... except the stars didn't look like rainbow-colored darts, and instead look like blue-white stars, not to mention all the space around the ship turned a dark blue too.

After it just blured up into a streak... later on (the next scene) the ship left a blue and red streak. That special effect was repeated in Star Trek III, except when they engaged warp, the blur came from behind.

It also took the enterprise some acceleration time in The Motion Picture to go from Warp 0.5 (max impulse power) to Warp 1, and then to Warp 7. It took about 21 seconds if I recall correctly.

Now, here's the funny thing... in Star Trek 2, it took almost no time to reach warp-speed. From barely moving to instant warp!

In Star Trek III they did the same thing.

Star Trek IV took some time... but the acceleration was much faster than the Motion Picture... and warp 1 was achieved instantaneously.

Star Trek V was a joke... when the enterprise reached warp the ship simply slid sideways while the ship made a warp-trail and the torpedo from the Klingon ship flew right by.

Star Trek VI was still not up to snuff...

Star Trek the Next Generation just look like the ship stretched out a lot.

Star Trek Generations was better because there was a REALLY bright flash before it happened.

Star Trek Insurrection I don't remember

And Star Trek Nemesis was a f_cking joke! The ship had a smoke-trail behind it!

-Concordia

I forget what he said to Scotty, I think it was "Bless you, Scotty!" But I know for a fact that the next thing he said was "Go Sulu!" I'll bet tons of money on that one.

Ripper said:
I forget what he said to Scotty, I think it was "Bless you, Scotty!" But I know for a fact that the next thing he said was "Go Sulu!" I'll bet tons of money on that one.

You'd be a zillionaire then. Right after Spock put the cap on the manual access port for the intermix chamber, a screen on the bridge read "NOMINAL", a tech turned to the Captain and said "Captain! The mains are back on-line!" Kirk breathed, "Bless you Scotty! Go Sulu!" And the Enterprise vanished into warp speed.

(The perils of a mind which remembers plots. ANY plots. I still remember cartoons going back to childhood. I can still remember SPACE GHOST plots for cryin' out loud, but I used to have trouble in math. <sigh> Go figger.)

A whole bunch of reasons could be made up for what happened to the nebula, but I think the "official" view was that the Genesis device pulled it all in and did two things with it. It built a star, and a planet to orbit it. A planet out in the middle of nowhere is pointless, after all. It needed a source of light and heat. Of course, if Genesis could do THAT, who *cares* if it makes planets or not. Stars made to order makes the Federation the most powerful player on the block, hands down, bar none.

As for the whole warp curve thing mentioned way back when, there's a bit at the bottom of the TNG tech manual, where the writers explained that the in-series reason for redrawing the warp curve was simply for ease of use. They set an arbitrary limit (warp 10) as the upper end of the scale. The set Warp 1 as the speed of light, and simply redrew the warp curve every time they invented a better engine. So by that reckoning, Warp 5 in the new Enterprise show is probably about Warp 2.5 or 3 in TNG. Warp 14, which Enterprise once did in TOS, is probably somewhere around 9.95 or so on the TNG chart.

Also, keep in mind that by the time of the Sovereign class Enterprise, it's top speed was 9.995, with a maximum cruise of 9.95. What this means is the ship can sustain 9.5 indefinitely, with only minimal strain on its systems over the long term. Once they build a few more engines, they'll probably redraw the curve again. It's easier to say "Warp Nine", than "Warp Nine point nine nine nine nine nine five, helmsman" every time you want to go to max cruise.

Dragonflight

Back