Gothri Gripe

I got that feeling with the Sorthak. The first time you encounter one it's a bit of a shock, but not overwhelming. It doesn't give you the sense that one of these could have destroyed 18 fighters.

The strange thing I find about the Sorthak is the limited field of fire from its quad meson rear turret. It's very easy to avoid but quite deadly if you don't.

But, of course, there was no point in including a different image of Blair for just one scene at the beginning of the game.

I'm sure they *wanted* to (as the screenshot confirms) -- it just wasn't reasonable for a game that originally shipped on floppy disks. Those character faces ate up a lot of space (it wasn't just an image - it was lots and lots of images which made up the various mouth/eye/etc. movements.)

The strange thing I find about the Sorthak is the limited field of fire from its quad meson rear turret. It's very easy to avoid but quite deadly if you don't.

I never really felt like the turrets were... you know, turrets. It's interesting to have a fighter that's all turrets... but I don't think it came across as being especially unique.

Wedge, thanks for the pictures, they're very cool.

When I checked my WC 2 box, I realized there was also another picture that wasn't in the game: it's a debriefing at 0400 hours, it's a shot from some distance, you see the brige of the Concordia (I think) and three people standing in the middle in blue uniforms and the middle one with white hair. Sadly, I didn't think of scanning it.

Attachments

• wc2boxdebrief.jpg
    wc2boxdebrief.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's the one! Thanks. Though I couldn't identify anyone on it (except maybe Tolwyn but only because of the white hair).

I never understood why the Sorthak was supposed to be tough. It only appears a couple of times, but every time I've played through WC3, I just took them down with no trouble at all when I encountered them. And I've played through on several different difficulty levels, from whatever the default is, to two difficulties above that. I never understood what the big deal was about Sorthaks...

The Gothri, on the other hand, was a mean piece of machinery. I hated fighting those things, especially from a Crossbow. The only cat fighters that gave me more trouble were then Hriss in SM2, and the Vaktoths in WC3 (when flying a T-bolt or an Arrow). The rear gun was quite powerful, and they were way too nimble for a fighter of their weight.

I always found the way Blair's image was 'aged' between WC1 and WC2 a little odd. It seamed that the basic facial structure was altered - much more so than could be accounted for by mere aging alone.

What's interesting is that Mark Hamill's face goes through a similar transition during the Star Wars filming. He looks quite different before and after a serious motorcycle accident between Episodes. A bit of an odd coincedence for our friend Blue Hair. Maybe he knew all along that he wanted Hamill to play him on the big screen.

I always found the way Blair's image was 'aged' between WC1 and WC2 a little odd. It seamed that the basic facial structure was altered - much more so than could be accounted for by mere aging alone.

What's interesting is that Mark Hamill's face goes through a similar transition during the Star Wars filming. He looks quite different before and after a serious motorcycle accident between Episodes. A bit of an odd coincedence for our friend Blue Hair. Maybe he knew all along that he wanted Hamill to play him on the big screen.

Perhaps Blair got into an accident too where his face had to be rebuilt?? I'm just spitballing here, but you never know.

Back