Get Behind Wing Commander Academy (May 25, 2006)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
It's a holiday weekend, so activity may be slow on the Wing Commander front... so what better way to keep the flame alive than to download and watch the Wing Commander Academy animated series? Use the links below to access high quality DivX versions of all thirteen episodes, plus the other three episodes in the 'Warrior King' crossover!

Interested in learning more about the series? We've collected some neat resources over the years! A HTML version of the series press kit is available online here. Scans of some of the series' background art pieces can be found in our archive here, compared next to screenshots from the finished show. You can read more about the Warrior King in this article... and about several different orders in which to watch the show here. You can also find entries about all the show's fighters and capital ships in our archive here. The Origin Museum also has an excellent collection of scanned Academy material, including the original series bible, an episode outline and an episode script which are available here.

--
Original update published on May 25, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Because we can't imagine how anyone could even *ask* the question -- there's fast direct downloads for all the episodes *right there*. It's like begging off a diamond necklace and then asking nicely where the old rusted car parts are.

romanl said:
I don't understand why there is such reaction to my question, it was just OK to say "NO".

The answer isn't just "NO" though. There's just simply no reason at all for a bit torrent of this to exist. Why would anyone seed it when we have this powerful high-bandwidth/no-downtime server providing direct links? Why would anyone download it via the torrent since such direct links are available?

Lt.Death100 said:
Every single time I open Ep. 1 it goes into WMP and then kicks me out without an error.

Is it already downloaded to your hard drive? Do you have the divx codec installed?

ChrisReid said:
Is it already downloaded to your hard drive? Do you have the divx codec installed?
I already downloaded it, it's just that it's not Divx that opens when I click on the episode, it's Windows Media Player.

If the DivX codec is installed correctly on your system, you can play the Academy files with any video player. The player associated with the .avi extension will start up when you double click. For most people, this would be Windows Media Player.

The DivX codec is a seperate thing from the player. With the codec installed, you can use whatever video player you normally use.

Both player and codec are in the same package, and IIRC (been a while since I installed) near the start of the installation routine it asks you which components you want to install.

I tried reinstalling it, but now instead of crashing it says 'Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is located on the Internet, connect to the Internet. If the file is located a removable storage card, insert the storage card.'?:confused:

Lt.Death100 said:
I tried reinstalling it, but now instead of crashing it says 'Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is located on the Internet, connect to the Internet. If the file is located a removable storage card, insert the storage card.'?:confused:

So you are double-clicking an Icon on your Desktop? It souns like you are assuming that the files are cached from a previous download and are trying to play it by clicking on the links here. Either way, you should right-click the links and choose " save target as." Save it to your desktop and run it after it downloads. It's entirely possible it may not have downloaded quite right the first time.

After that - if that was what you already did - if you have the divx player, open it first and drag the file into the player window. But WMP should play it if the codec was installed properly. You might just need to reboot even.

Lt.Death100 said:
As AD mentioned, it sounds as though the Academy episode file in question was not downloaded completely. Try downloading the file again using a download manager (if you hadn't previously) such as GetRight or TrueDownloader.

Installing codec packs such as K-Lite and then subsequently installing various individual packages, such as the latest DivX pack, on the same system without un-installing the codec pack can sometimes cause conflicts, although the problem above looks to be a corrupt download.

Cheers,

BrynS

I only just remembered there was a WCA tv series, then i became depressed cause i figured there would be no way to d/l and watch something i SHOULD have seen a long time ago. Since wing commander was the best game ever, except maybe for Ultima 7, and maybe syndicate, and star control 2, ok wing commander is up there with the best.

So *thankyou* so much guys for providing the series for download!!

Um, you are using Windows Media Player? May I suggest that you use something better - goto www.videolan.org and download VLC. I will play anything without the need to install the codecs, except for Real Media and DRM'd WMV files.

Um, you are using Windows Media Player? May I suggest that you use something better - goto www.videolan.org and download VLC. I will play anything without the need to install the codecs, except for Real Media and DRM'd WMV files.

Yes VLC is good, and we do recommend it from time to time, but this thread is a year and a half old.

Back