Gamestop interview: Chris Roberts: Why I've Come Back to Gaming

Someone has to write here what he is saying, and I really hope someone is recording this as well. My video stutters as hell and I don't have audio.

....omg I think I'm going to pass out. I have to sniff a cat, quickly!

Vega, Kurasawa...Bengal-carrier....Hornet light fighter...there are far too many parallels.

...and it says "Wing Commander" over on the right side of the screen. I can't type anymore.

argh!!!
(this is me trying to get some information just by reading comments from guys who actually watch the video...)

Info I got until now:
- looks cool
- Elite/Privateer/Freelancer/X3 -style gameplay
- user generated content??

- sounds like singleplayer offline, otherwise an MMO or something...
- multiple players in one spaceship

That's part of it. It looks like he's buiding a persistent universe game. "Squadron 42" is the military aspect of the universe, it's the first planned aspect, and it looks like WC. The universe will evolve every week or two based on what the player base does.

Guys, I have to get back to work now. Lemme know if Chris says anything else cool.

Mods, private servers, persistent universe, fully fledged single player campaign, constant micro content updates, co-op, mercenaries, pirates, merchants... sounds like an incredible blend of Wing Commander, Privateer, Freelancer & EVE online!

Did any of you guys see the image and hear the voice at the end of the intro sequence... could've swore it said "Built with CryEngine 3"!

Mods, private servers, persistent universe, fully fledged single player campaign, constant micro content updates, co-op, mercenaries, pirates, merchants... sounds like an incredible blend of Wing Commander, Privateer, Freelancer & EVE online!

Aye and it's going to boost the US economy just from the PC sales.

I had audio for a few moments but it is gone again....

I like the ships but I am somewhat disappointed by the sound and the combat shown in that alpha demo. But I'm sure that will improve during development.

EDIT:
any word about funding? I read he has no money or something. Kickstarter or pre-ordering (aka "give me money and you will get a game later - maybe") are discussed by people listening to the stream....

Look at the cockpit details Oo He moved the joystick and the other hand on the controllers. Amazing details. And he show it on a GTX 670 ;) My Video Card. So no need to buy a new one xD
Modding Tools is nice. Someone can build then WC1 and put the files to a private Server. Or WC2,3,4 WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
EPIC!

argh!!!
(this is me trying to get some information just by reading comments from guys who actually watch the video...)

Info I got until now:
- looks cool
- Elite/Privateer/Freelancer/X3 -style gameplay
- user generated content??

- sounds like singleplayer offline, otherwise an MMO or something...
- multiple players in one spaceship

If I understood it correctly that’s about right. You start out in a single player campaign like WC 1/2 then after that it turns into a multiplayer Privateer like game. You can walk around your carrier fps style and seamlessly clime into a fighter and fly into space. You can also have one player fly a ship while another controls the turrets and stuff like that.

I really hope someone is recording this as well

It’s hard for me to imagine the CIC staff doesn’t have that taken care of.

I reckon many people have dreamed about the type of game where you could walk into a spacefighter seamlessly. There will be a first person shooter mod in the future I reckon. An example of a scenario is you a board an enemy capital ship in a marine shuttle then you gather intelligence via the enemy comms system (take down enemy troops whilst onboard ) or maybe hijack an enemy fighter onboard.

As if Mechwarrior (Mechwarrior Online) and Total Annihilation (Planetary Annihilation) coming back wasn't enough, this is like an early Christmas present.

That's a lofty goal and I hope he makes it. I'll donate a wingnut to him. (and cross my fingers.)
I don't think he'll be able to use WC cannon unless he is paying a license to EA.

Back