GameSpot Poll

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Hey, there's a great poll at GameSpot right now. In case we don't get a chance to do a news update about it before it's too late, go vote. http://www.gamespot.com Which classic gaming series should be revived? Wing Commander of course! We're currently in the lead!

...with X-COM and and King's Quest in 2nd and 3rd respectively. There's quite a number of 'other' votes as well, and [~600] votes [for WC] doesn't actually seem like that many either.

[This is freaky, when I refresh the poll results, the numbers keep going up.]

Woohoo, go WC ! :)
Though a new X-Com could be cool as well even though the last additions to that series I encountered where rather stupid, so go WC !

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Though a new X-Com could be cool as well

A new X-Com game would be cool, but never as well as a new WC game. The X-Com series was shut down also because the latter games weren´t good, which did not happen with WC.

Agreed, a new WC game is evidently what people here want the most! (surprise ;) ).
Though I did like X-Com Interceptor. I can't remember, was a 3D-shooter of the X-Com series released or only planned?

X-COM Enforcer I guess.

3Dd shooter built on the Unreal engine.

Don't know whether it sold pretty good or not.

Since it seems like we need a running tally in the CIC. As of 1:59 Central Time, WC in the lead with 1287 (a full 200+ votes over the nearest contender X-Com).

"I love it when a plan comes together" :)

We seem to have this weird domino effect happening. Has anyone noticed how almost every poll about video games lately (best series, best sim, best sci-fi, best yadayada) seems to have WC as a choice for at least one of the top 10 slots. It makes me kindof misty-eyed *sniff*.

C-ya

Originally posted by TheFraix
X-COM Enforcer I guess.
Don't know whether it sold pretty good or not.

Not really, no. Got discounted relatively quickly.

X-Com Enforcer wasn't the planned 3-D shooter. X-Com Enforcer was apparently an action game that had you wandering around during the time period of the first game shooting aliens and collecting power-ups. IIRC, it was an action game, but not fps.
The fps was supposed to be a squad-based game (i.e. you had squadmates backing you up and responding to orders) that involves a team of X-Com squaddies that return to Cydonia to investigate some odd signals, and find themselves and their starship transported into the middle of a battle between the old X-Com baddies and an entirely new race of aliens.
Incidentally, X-Com Interceptor had some news reports that were meant to tie in to the fps indirectly. The reports involved humans (not in the game, though) discovering the trail of the starship and following the trail for a short distance, but not being able to locate the starship itself.
There were some in-game films floating around on the net, but the actual game was never released.
Anyone else play e-mail X-Com when that was available?

You mean X-COM Alliance? Seriously, it was roughly 80% done when they canned it, and I even got the poster from Collectors Ed, too :). Would have been very promising. X-COMmies like me would have hailed it as much as... oh... Privateer 3?

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Though I did like X-Com Interceptor. I can't remember, was a 3D-shooter of the X-Com series released or only planned?
I never got to play Interceptor :(. I actually bought it a few months ago in one of those discount packages, but curses, it was in German. How bizarre, that a box with Polish and English writing should contain the German version :rolleyes:.

Originally posted by Viper61
Has anyone noticed how almost every poll about video games lately (best series, best sim, best sci-fi, best yadayada) seems to have WC as a choice for at least one of the top 10 slots.
Doesn't really matter, since - aside from the GBA port - nothing new is coming for WC, although if the GBA thing works well, hopefully it might generate some momentum. But I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.

Originally posted by Quarto
How bizarre, that a box with Polish and English writing should contain the German version.
How bizarre indeed. I pity you.

BTW, the poll seems to be closed now, with WC first at 24% and X-COM in second at 20%. Pretty good, but not a clear a majority. But why the new poll, whose idea was it that the GCN will be Nintendo's last console?

Originally posted by Quarto

I never got to play Interceptor :(. I actually bought it a few months ago in one of those discount packages, but curses, it was in German. How bizarre, that a box with Polish and English writing should contain the German version :rolleyes:.

Too bad, and strange indeed. I just checked, I too have only the German version. But I can tell you, it suffered from the typical X-Com flaw: It got pretty repetitive. :)

And the X-Com fps was never released, OK thanks.

The poll is over. Looks like WC won. :cool:

Changing the subject, I´ve been browsing older threads and I noticed that there was a moderator called "Earthworm" that was a regular poster here (he´s in the top 10 for most posts) but suddenly vanished. What happened to him?

Back