GameFan Gives SWC A Glowing Review (June 15, 2005)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Jonathan Stone has a Super Wing Commander review for us today from June 1994's GameFan. Their typical review was a one-page deal, so the space they devoted to SWC is impressive. The article specificially covers the 3DO version of the game, and they give it a very positive spin. There are lots of screenshots that cover a diverse set of areas within the game, and it's pretty refreshing to see the Wing Commander designs splashed all over the pages in such a way. I'd sure want to go play after checking out the review.

This game takes the basic idea of Wing Commander and adds more animation, more speech and communication, fluid movement and an AI systems for the Kilrathi that has to be played and played to be truly appreciated. Super Wing Commander is a rare game that will have you completely engrossed in its story telling and its ability to keep you involved in its combat scenarios... The story is rich and deep and, because of the complex control system and the importance placed on communication between Confederate pilots, there are many pieces of information that you are going to need before you hit deep space... The beauty of this game is in the details. If you get to a point where you can begin to appreciate the tremendous depth in this game, then you are playing SWC like Chris Roberts and his team intended.

--
Original update published on June 15, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
Malar regrets of having no 3DO in his childhood...

www.wcnews.com/newestshots/thumb/gamefan1994june1t.jpg said:

Wow, I never had the pleasure to enter into the Supreme of Wing Commander. As a sceptical jerk I ever been, I normally dislike all deviations/variations of WC (best example Movie and TV-Series, (but I can also see that there exist some good aspects)), this one seems still to be very underrated by myself. I mean, I view WC now for some time as portable to any visual renditions (WCI - SWC). I liked the apocryphical design ideas of WC and even the finished pulpy-appearing US-Military concept a bit (that's nowadays so, as kid I liked it completely blind - the Kilrathi were my eyecatcher as I had spotted the feline noble on the backside WCII box).

To get to the point, it seems they had mixed some post modern design aspects with neoclassical ones: the flight-suit itself... and then the "montaging" scene. This adds a bit more realism to me. It appears a lot more critical to wear a heavy flight suit than such jump-suit styled ones like they were shown in WCIII or the mixture of leaky flight-suit, uniform and chic 70-styled jackets of WCI and WCII (or the "neoprene suit" of our fascistoid friends, the Black Lance).

To translate my malarific speech: I'm appreciate the SWC now more with interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back