Game Remakes

Well sometimes by some persons you have to try it more often...don't know why he dosn't wanted to join use last time we asked, but lets try it again.

Playing WC1 with our engine could be fun.

Well at the moment we are quite short on WC 1 Models, because we are focusing on WC3+4, but this section is nearly complett. WC2 also has allready some models and WC 1 will follow.
I think working together would be quite helpfull for all of us, don't you think?

It might be fun to work together but as you say, you are focussing on WC3 and 4, with some WC2 models and almost no WC1 models (the Hornet is the only one I saw on your web page)

I am focussing entirely on WC1 models. I have actually completed all the models for all the Kilrathi and Confederation fighters and capital ships in WC1. All that I need to do is finish texturing them, which I have now done with the Dralthi.

When both projects are complete I would have no problem sharing my WC1 models with you guys, as long as I was given attribution, for new FS2 engine projects you want to work on.

In playing KS again, having just gotten through WC1 and SM1, I agree with both ideas, that it would be cool to see it in a manner similar to the hornet and rapier in the intro for KS, but also that it's "perfect" the way it is and would be like trying to remake a great historical work of art.

One thing I think would be really cool is a compromise. Basically just a higher res version of WC1. Not so much that it looks different, just a touch more refined. Like make the in game stuff look like the pre-rendered scenes. And for some of those, remove some of the jaggies to smooth it out a bit.

One other thing that would actually be an improvement would be to increase the scale of the cap ships to realistic levels (the Claw and Fralthi and even Snakeir all look WAY too small to hold fighters, nevermind the 100+ the Claw is supposed to), and a feature to turn the blasted accel absorbers off. Even when destroyed they still work. You should be able to hit the burners and cut the accel absorbers and maintain that max speed (and heading of course) with no further fuel consumption. You'd have to bring them back online to change course though....

Unless I'm wrong and those absorbers are for the pilot.....in which case, pilot damage from excessive Gs when they are damaged would be a cool addition too. But not as much as the ability to take full advantage of physics. I've seen that physics are present in the WC "universe", just that they seem to be overcome with technology to create a viable space fighter. Surely, even if the fighter manufacturers wouldn't allow that to be done, the techs could rig something up for the pilots.

Just a thought. :D

Blast it.... I knew I should start thinking about that stuff. Now I've gone and thought of even more. lol

I am really hesitant about the idea of a remake where lots if changed because of it "not being the same", but I think my ideas above would be minor and simply add to the immersion, even if the graphic touch ups weren't included. The changes would be so minor they might not be noticed, and yet, would make the experience more enjoyable.

I happened to notice how the Jalthi behave just now. And then realized that all the multigunned AI acted that way. They used their lasers for distance work and full guns up close. Something that human pilots in WC1 can't do because guns are toggled by the "G" key, and toggle in a set pattern, and you have your hand at the keyboard for comms and burners as it is, plus with the frantic pace of action, you simply can't manage it. But......what if the controls were enahnced? In '90, a 2 button stick was about all there was (forget when the Thrustmaster Mk1 came out), so it makes sense how the controls are layed out. I don't have an X45, and I'm not about to use my Cougar for WC (no matter how much I love WC - my Cougar is for real world flight sims only, and that means pretty much prop sims for me. :cool: ), so I can't program macros for my stick (which is just a Logitech Wingman Attack2). It does have 6 buttons and a slider though..... Trigger for longest ranged weapons, thumb button for close in weapons, 1 button for burners, and maybe 1 for missiles, 1 for missle toggling and one for the "shift" functions currently used (for roll and throttle changes), and maybe even support for sliders for use as throttles.......have it all mappable from a text file similar to how FS:SDOE does it.......man that would rock! :cool:

The "accel absorbers" are indeed for the pilot. Disabling them would have the pilot dead on the first highest G maneuver I suppose. Didn't implement that of course.
The "fuel scoops" (sp?) are what have to be modified in order to slide.

Interesting. I'm not sure what fuel scoops would have to do with sliding, but, whichever. :)

I do notice that when the accel absorbers are destroyed, nothing happens to the pilot or other equipment.

cff said:
The "accel absorbers" are indeed for the pilot. Disabling them would have the pilot dead on the first highest G maneuver I suppose. Didn't implement that of course.

Even if the "Accel absorbers" were for other reason, their destruction had no perceivable effect, unlike other systems.

Basically the WC universe is still newtonian. So you'd be sliding at all times. However at combat situation the fuel scoops are extended which are basically bic force fields (so they are much much bigger then your ship) These scoops are responsible for the atmosphere like behaviour of WC ships.

RE: new WC Saga Victory model/mesh:

Um, ain't the conning tower on the Vic on the *starboard* side?... this new pic that was posted has it on the port side... What up wit dat?...

Preacher said:
RE: new WC Saga Victory model/mesh:

Um, ain't the conning tower on the Vic on the *starboard* side?... this new pic that was posted has it on the port side... What up wit dat?...

Isn't every side of a space craft the starboard side? :D

:p j/k lol

Back