Furball poll thingy

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
Yeah, I vote for WC3 and I think it looks a lot like WC4. Even though Melek looks a lot more sophisticated in the fourth. I just thought Thrakhath looked really mean and cool. They even did a good job at giving those puppet things emotions on their faces.

I think in WC1 and 2 they looked just as cool for what they had to work with. Egad, they looked so strange to me in the movie. If only they had added fur to the models they would've looked very Kilrathi. But they just are so strange to me in that show. Say, remember in the movie when that Kilrathi fella makes those claws come out of this glove? Surely his own real claws would have sufficed?

Say, remember in the movie when that Kilrathi fella makes those claws come out of this glove? Surely his own real claws would have sufficed?
Yeah, I remember that scene and thought the same when I saw it for the first time :D
Oh, btw I also voted for WC3 - second would be WC2 for me. The WC3 Kilrathi look is what I got used to when I got in contact with WC for the first time :)
I also didn't like the appearance of the Kilrathi in the Movie that much, but maybe some more others doprefer them, the poll will show it. ;)

Yeah, why the big difference in Kilrathi quality between 3 and 4? From regal feline warrior to, well, a chimp.

Whoa, you got that right - I forgot how bad WC4 Kilrathi looked!

Always for WC2, I just love the cartoony-ness of it.

The WC3 Kilrathi are very good transitions from the 2D WC2 Kilrathi, whereas the WC4 Kilrathi (Melek) looks like an alley cat.

I loved in WC1 (cutscene transition) with the Kilrathi standing there with their paws raised... so goofy-looking with the ears built into the helmets like that. Ahhh, memories...

And they call US hairless apes.

Attachments

• kilrathi_poll_wcmt.jpg
    kilrathi_poll_wcmt.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 242
  • ape.jpg
    ape.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 73
Wc2 kats were really great. Sometimes I'd rather have a really good artistic work in 2d then some badly crafted thing in 3d. Lucky to us, the kats in WC3 are grrrrrreat (bad joke). It does happens in SOME fight games and others, the art direction is a lot better with sprites...

My first choice is the WC2 Kilrathi design - I can accept it. The "cats" from the third WC (and some from the first) are tolerable, but they are near at the 'chimp'-look. The mouth of a cat (or from an indentical animal) has flews - the WC3-cats didn't have any real functional flews (splitted mothparts). That's the reason why they look like they have an apish mouth. All other designs sucks in my opinion.

Mayhaps, Chris Robert want to destroy the image of Wing Commander with his movie, to left bad memories about WC and then nobody want to buy a WC-Game, produced by EA? ;)

PS: Why is my English weird? Hey I'm a German and damned with my own friggin language :rolleyes: ;)

PPS: Sweet, gorilla Koko wears a snail-inspired helm :eek: :)

I knew someone would mention the movie sooner or later. I hope it won't degenerate again into another Love it/Hate it flamewar. *sigh*

BTW, the Kats in WC3 do have the "flews" in their mouths. But I do think their "snouts" are kinda apish. It just gets worse in WC4. Considering they needed only Melek in that game, they probably didn't have a large part fo the budget allocated to the Kat puppet heads.

The Kilrathi are just a predatory species that happen to look like Terran felines. They aren't 'real' cats so I'm always confused when someone doesn't like the Kilrathi because they don't look like their own housecat :(

C-ya

The issue with the cats is that they've never looked right on film. The Kilrathi in WC3 look fine in a low-resolution Xanmovie compressed video file... but even on regular tape they look very, very fake. They tried to reinvent them in WC4 and the movie without any greater success.

TRue. More power to CG and sprites =)
PS: I know CG is expensive too!

But nowadays it is good enough (and probably cost effective enough) to substitute live action in most fantasy and Sci-Fi games with better suspension of disbelief results...

Even though it is expensive, it probably would cost less than 12million...

They aren't 'real' cats so I'm always confused when someone doesn't like the Kilrathi because they don't look like their own housecat

That's would be the first progressive move in their design. They would look more serious than another puppet/muppet exemplar.

catfront.gif

BTW, the Kats in WC3 do have the "flews" in their mouths. But I do think their "snouts" are kinda apish. It just gets worse in WC4.

Yes, but snouts and flews are nearly the "same". Flews aren't exactly lips. They are in symbiosis with the nose and the snout and they are an sensible & sensitive part of the animal's face.

And don't "worry", I don't want to start a flame orgy against the movie. I must admit that I dislike it and can't accept it as a WC-adaption, but I was in it as it was shown the first time in the cinema (in Germany). Without Freddy Prinze Junior (or he is written) & Lillard, the movie could be a nice (noble) trash movie with Starlancer design aspects and funny slime-glowing moles (with their own green atmosphere on ships).

Back