Furball poll thingy

I know, but some scenes are recycled into Starlancer. And I don't know, it's possible or not, that Roberts had the idea of Starlancer at this time.

The movie used a lot of the money that Microsoft had given to DA for StarLancer... and a lot of the resources (graphics guys at DA and such) - so they ended up recycling stuff into SL to make up for that.

Anyone would like to do an artistic rendering of a Kilrathi?

How's your opinions of the Kilrathi's paw in the Kilrathi Saga cover?

Creating creatures to look realistic on film is no easy task, and CG created characters can make that task a bit less cumbersome..but lets not forget that in the years of WC3-4 and even the movie...the CG machines were very expensive and did not produce very desireable results. Tho those machines in that time could produce some very impressive ships and action sequences as seen in the early episodes of Babylon 5.

I think they did a good job in all of their attempts. Tho the moive Kilrathi did look somewhat odd. No wonder most footage of the Kilrathi in the movie was less than 5 frames or so, till the ending part, then we see them for a bit longer.

My favortite would have to be the Kilrathi from WC-3 for the filmed cutscenes, and Academy episodes for the animated cats.

But out of them all, I always keep in mind that the Kilrathi race is a "cat like" species, which means they are not going to have the appearance of your typical house kitty or even a wild cat. However the Academy episodes, the cats there do have a striking similarity to lions.

I voted for the WC3 because of Thrakhath. I liked how the style and look of the Prince made the Cats look very regal, rather than the typical slime eat anything that moves evil alien. Sure they ate Angel but still the WC3 design presented what I thought was a fairly logical evolution from a feline predator to a feline biped. Although Melek has always kind of looked like someone who had an unfortunate accident while changing the oil in his car\spaceship. :D

I like the WC3 kats, they look what I would imagine a kilrathi to look like if having only read the novels. I also liked the WC2 era images they were cooler than the little wc1 shots we got...

wc4 melek looked freaky to me...not really cool at all....

RiotAct218 said:
I loved in WC1 (cutscene transition) with the Kilrathi standing there with their paws raised... so goofy-looking with the ears built into the helmets like that. Ahhh, memories...

Attachments

• kitty helmet.jpg
    kitty helmet.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 72
HAAAAAAAAAH! That's gotta be the funniest thing I've seen tonight. If only for the reason that that cat looks so mad. You get my thumbs-up award!

I thought that the WC3 rendition of the Kilrathi looked much more like the pre-wc1 conceptual drawings, and descriptions in the books. (You can find those drawings in the handbook that comes with Kilrathi Saga).

I think that, for the most part, wc1, 2, and acad TV artists swept the original Kilrathi conceptual designs under the proverbial carpet in order to make the Kilrathi more pleasing to the eye. Indeed, the Kilrathi from WC2 are beautiful, noble creatures (even if they do want to conquer, enslave, and eat us).

But, I also take into consideration that, like just about any species of any animal known to man (and, in some ways, including man himself!), Kilrathi come in different "breeds". Of course, the litarature supports this. Some Kilrathi may look incredibly similar to lions, while others may be less like earthen felines.

I also took special notice in the conversion of physical characteristics in known kilrathi between wc2 and 3. Hobbes still had a very similar design (even though he no longer looked exactly like a walking, talking stripey tiger). Thrakhath still had the same clothing, and similar physical features. The emperor still had his messed up eye. The fact that they were imperfect puppets is a shame, but I do give the designers a thumbs-up for their effort in making realistic translations of the Kilrathi (notice that they changed them all to include the flattened muzzle? Even though it wasn't a long one, like in the pre-wc1 drawings)

But, Melek in wc4 looked like a Furby.

And the puppets-Kilrathi don't have a neck. That's looking weird.

I think the best explaination (canon), why the Kilrathi looks like cats: pure coincidence.
If that is wrong, then are the inhabitants on earth the example from most creatures in the galaxy of WC. That implies more human races on other planets (Kilrathi seems to me only anthropomorph, not really humanoid). *yikes*
And that's pretty unrealistic and I hate this thought. Like the galaxy is a great broken planet (in THIS aspect wrong).

The best design is an erect-walking alienated liontiger with nonhuman shoulders, nonhuman torso and a nonhuman head (neck, face). Then their paws aren't real hands, they should be more like funktional paws (not the typical human 4 fingers & 1 thumb scheme).
Their language must be a bit stranger and not similar to Phoenician or Turkish ('Melek' comes from Melek Taus, the first servant of God in the religion of the Kurds, Thrakhath hears like an adapted summerian name, reminds me on an entity of the Cthulhu Mythos), their writtings too. And viola, we have the perfect alien guy. Not really perfect, because earth-inspired, but into this term, the design would be perfect (which hails from a human mind).

Man, I can't believe Movie Kats are beating Academy TV Kats. I thought they were at least a little more cat-like than the shaved magilla-gorillas from the movie.

The more feline Kilrathi are the ones from WC2. They look better, also. The most complete design is from WC3, however.

Back