freelancer demo is out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried it til it crashed ;) (I think this is my config, but I don't mind)

Well, it looks like ennemis can't shake me... When I'm on their tail, they can't shake me... Am I wrong ? Just hope the full game won't be so "easy"... ;)

John

I played the demo for a while and I love it to death. But, does anyone else have a problem where there's no dialog? Whenever someone's lips are moving or there's a cutscene I get no sound. Then some other people talk and I hear them fine. Did Microsoft take out some sound to cut file space? Or is my computer fritzy?

Can't say I've had any sound problems. There's a readme attached to the demo that discusses potential problems with video cards and sound cards, so you might want to look there if you haven't already.
Other than that, I'm not sure how to fix it.

NoRemorse - as far as enemy fighters being unable to shake you goes - don't worry, it'll get harder. Part of it is that your guns can traverse throughout your forward arc, so it makes it easier for you to keep a target aligned. But your enemies do have ways of getting back at you. They quickly start mounting turrets that can fire at you no matter which angle you approach from. Also, after a while, the numbers start to tell. I actually managed to get destroyed at one point. I'd gone to check one of the locations on the map while looking around, and ended up in the middle of a brawl between local law enforcement and pirates. Before it was over, my hull was at about half strength. Then on the way back, I had an encounter with a group of pirates camped out on the lane, and they managed to finish the job that the earlier group had started. You may be on the tail of one of their fighters, but that doesn't mean there aren't three or four other guys sitting on your tail.
Unfortunately, I never thought to use my nanobots for repairs, or things might have gone somewhat differently.

Which reminds me of one thing I found annoying. Presumeably, the pirates shut down one of the accelerators (or whatever they're called) on the lane, and that causes you to slow down so the pirates can attack you. The only problem with that idea is this - immediately after I was pulled back into normal space, a group of ships went whipping past using the lane rings. I would have thought that they'd be forced to slow down, as well.

Anyone remember the old Star Wars and Empire Strikes back arcade games? The crosshairs were moved with the stick (more of a yoke) and the nose followed. Of course, the steering was really slow.. But it worked in that game, and was pretty much how I imagine Freelancer with stick suppoert would work.

True it's not as precise as a mouse, but I think it would work and know I'd use it. Hope someone makes a patch and gives us a choice. Mouse isn't all that bad though, I am getting used to it :)

NO DIALOG FIX
Seems the game doesn't play nice with the hacked mp3 codec installed by divx. After I removed it and replaced it with the one that comes with windows, dialog worked fine again

Freelancer

This game is awosome!!!!!

It took a while to download the demo, but it was worth every minute!
Great graphics and sound. Great looks...
Better then I imagined it.

I thought the mouse control thing would be a problem, but after a few minutes i was like a fish in cool water.

One of the first things I've noted is that unlike Privateer 2, and like Privateer 1, you don't have to hire a cumbersome freighter to hual your cargo. This was the single most hate feature in Priv2 I think.

Originally posted by Lunatic
I played the demo for a while and I love it to death. But, does anyone else have a problem where there's no dialog? Whenever someone's lips are moving or there's a cutscene I get no sound. Then some other people talk and I hear them fine. Did Microsoft take out some sound to cut file space? Or is my computer fritzy?

Had the same problem. I thought they had been cut out in order to save space.
But then I don't even have DX9 installed...

Has anyone else found any hidden things(bases, derelicts, jump holes)? I find the most enjoyable part of the demo is just exploring the badlands for stuff.

Where's the freakin radar??!!

I've been playing the Freelancer demo for a couple of days and while I think it's possibly the best game that I've played this year, I had hoped that it would be more of a simulation.
It's not the lack of Joystick support that bothers me. I can live with the mouse control. I have been playing WC with a mouse since WCIII. Is just that the flight in Freelancer has a very arcade-like feel to it. It almost reminds me of Sinistar: Unleashed's simplistic style. But, even Sinistar: offers a radar. I want to see blips on a screen that tell me what's around me. I know that Freelancer isn't Wing Commander, but a radar seems like such an obvious necessity for a 3D space flight game. Perhaps this is just my ship? Will better ships include these other kinds of options? If anyone knows, please comment.
The role -playing elements are done nicely. The open-endedness is very well done. I think that Freelancer handles the open-ended aspect better than Privateer 2 did. Graphically, ,I don't see what the fuss is all about. Freelancer's graphics engine has been hyped way beyond reason. The game looks good, but it doesn't look as nice as older games like Freespace 2 and even Starlancer. Another small gripe is the lack of a good cockpit view. You can change from a 3rd person to a "1st person" view, but all that it does is remove your ship from the screen. Minor gripes aside, it's a fine game overall, I can't wait to play the full version.

deelee: I was a little bit disappointed by the graphics engine too; I know I haven't got the best video card that can be sold, but looks like there are a lots of polygons in those graphics (especially for ships)...
However, do not forget that there are many solar systems in this game; true solar systems, and I can easily imagine that this might have been hard to create... that's why I don't mind about those graphics... the game itself is so nice that this is not a problem anymore :)

Stupid question, but how do you use jump gates? I get "access denied" Is there no jumping in the demo?

Yeah.. limited to New York System. Ordinarily you'd request to dock like any other portal or base.

Thanks, I guessed as much, even though the Freelancer Trial web page on Microsoft says, and I quote:

"The trial version offers the chance to explore the entire Liberty System, giving access to more than a dozen bases and five flyable ships."

I haven't played much in that system.. but there could very well be a dozen bases.. It might count the several in orbit of Manhattan.. plus there's some hidden pirate ones in the badlands, plus Westpoint and whatnot.

There are a dozen bases. I checked my player card under "bases visited".

Has anyone tried pirating? I like having the rogues as allies, especially since you can land on their bases. Although not being able to land on Manhattan isn't wonderful.

Graphically, ,I don't see what the fuss is all about. Freelancer's graphics engine has been hyped way beyond reason. The game looks good, but it doesn't look as nice as older games like Freespace 2 and even Starlancer. Another small gripe is the lack of a good cockpit view. You can change from a 3rd person to a "1st person" view, but all that it does is remove your ship from the screen. Minor gripes aside, it's a fine game overall, I can't wait to play the full version.

What video card do you have? This is the absolute best looking simulation game I've seen. The game looks perfect with my G4 Ti4600. even my computer with a TNT2 looks awesome. Starlancer had good visuals at the time...but they are definetly outdated and Freelancer has so much more detail, scale, and visual dazzle. Also, there are cockpits, it's different on every ship, on your first ship, it's an open cockpit, on the Rhino freighter it shows the inside of the cockpit. And keep in mind, this is a beta, Microsoft has a little more graphical polish and more flight options (i think) coming for fianl product.

Did anybody knew the demo ends when you get to your 2nd level of exp.?

The Demo docs said that there are 5 flyable ships...but I can't buy the defender if i'm not level 2....

that leaves you with the starflier (the first ship you get) the Patriot and the Rhino freighter.
(the bigger civ-fighter - the 1270 - requires you to be at level 4!)

And on another note...where can I find, if at all, a 3d model (preferably 3Dmax format) of that awsome Missouri Battleship. I really like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back