Fralthi fighter-Capacity

The indication from Freedom Flight is that the Fralthi's bay is aft-facing... and that it has a large armored door, which closes when it isn't in use.

Bandit LOAF said:
The indication from Freedom Flight is that the Fralthi's bay is aft-facing... and that it has a large armored door, which closes when it isn't in use.

Can you give me the exact quote that indicates this?

-Concordia

Freedom Flight, Page 92

"With an ominous creaking noise, the fifty-foot double door of the Launch Bay began to open, then stopped. A thin whistle of escaping air ould be heard over the roar of the riot on the deck, but it was not the explosive decompression that Ralgha had been told to expect." - large armored door.

page 132

"It's even bigger than I remember, he thought, maneuvering for the final approach on the odd circular-shaped landing bay." - circular shaped landing bay.

I didn't find the one that indicates that the bay is aft-facing, but, I'm sure LOAF knows. It also says that the fralthi has five engines, one of which is the main nacelle which is in the center of the other four.

Concordia said:

-Concordia

P. 87 has Lord Ralgha nar Hhallas, head to the Primary Launch Bay. Page 89 has the TCS Holmen approaching it to dock at the 'Aft Airlock', which adjoins it.

The doors to said bay are "fifty foot" (p. 92), and p. 101 has Spirit noting that "if we can get some dumb-fire missiles into that launch bay, they won't be able to get any more fighters off the deck". This suggests that there is only one bay used for launching fighters, though they may have a secondary launch bay nearby for shuttles or the like. On the same page, we see Hunter ducking under the Fralthi, with Spirit 'already ahead of him' and accelerating towards the bay, though she was disabled before she could take it out. Since they weren't flying into the teeth of oncoming fighters, as they would have been if the bay had been slung underneath and forward-facing, this also seems to confirm LOAF's statement that the bay's opening faced the back of the ship.

Actually, the bay would fit quite nicely at the back of that fork... :D

Concordia said:

-Concordia

I can suggest a book for you to read.

And when you're done, I can suggest a good place for you to *store* the book.

Copies of Freedom Flight are pretty common - I'm thinking Concordia could just *shove* this one somewhere.

Bandit LOAF said:
Copies of Freedom Flight are pretty common - I'm thinking Concordia could just *shove* this one somewhere.

Still, it's a waste of a perfectly good novel.. :D

But a bookshelf would work JUST fine, though.

It is a pretty good book I've read it multiple times. All the Baen books are good in there own way. End Run is my fav followed really close by Fleet Action.

Dundradal said:
It is a pretty good book I've read it multiple times. All the Baen books are good in there own way. End Run is my fav followed really close by Fleet Action.

Freedom Flight does a great job of emulating what Wing Commander was in 1991-92 (presumably since it's written by Ellen Guon). The hyper-Republican Forstchen+ books are well written (and are generally my favorites), but they don't emulate the original style of the WC games in the same way.

I kind of find Freedom Flight childish... What really destroyed the book for me was the Bugs Bunny taunt. That was just so cheesy You could take that page and put it on a pizza... Some of the aspects if WC fiction are quite good, I thought End Run was a good book but Freedom Flight just has this atmosphere about it which is ridiculously uneducated...

gryphon said:
I kind of find Freedom Flight childish... What really destroyed the book for me was the Bugs Bunny taunt. That was just so cheesy You could take that page and put it on a pizza... Some of the aspects if WC fiction are quite good, I thought End Run was a good book but Freedom Flight just has this atmosphere about it which is ridiculously uneducated...

And yet you found WC1 and WC2 hyper-realistic in dialogue and storyline? Ellen Guon was a writer on WC1:SM1 and WC2, which explains why the story itself fit rather cleanly into the storyline of SM2. I didn't think the taunts in WC1 and WC2 were any better than the 'Bugs Bunny' one that doesn't even appear in Freedom Flight. That's from Forstchen... whose work you seem to laud, yet whose taunt was so childish as to take away from Freedom Flight.

Good luck finding that page in that particular novel. :rolleyes: Are you sure you've actually read it?

That stupid - Freedom Flight is a *perfect* approximation of what Wing Commander was at the time. I don't begin to see how that could be 'uneducated' - because repeating the same mind-numbing 'dark' science fiction that everyone else has done ad naseum sure isn't *brilliant*. The early games (and Freedom Flight) were great because they were an idealized 'World War 2 in space' rather than the same depressing 'lets-nitpick-history' look that everyone else has done before and since.

(Besides, Senor Hypergenius, the Bugs Bunny taunt was from End Run...:))

WC1 and 2 were great because they gave you the feeling that you weren't in the newest, hottest piece of machinery. Your equipment had knicks, the paint was scratched, there was a leak in the barracks, and the walls needed a good scrubbing. It made one feel as if they were in space to win a war, not look pretty, and that your greatest tools were your wits and ingenuity.

overmortal said:
WC1 and 2 were great because they gave you the feeling that you weren't in the newest, hottest piece of machinery. Your equipment had knicks, the paint was scratched, there was a leak in the barracks, and the walls needed a good scrubbing. It made one feel as if they were in space to win a war, not look pretty, and that your greatest tools were your wits and ingenuity.

WC3 was like that, but grimier and with the sense that the Confederation was doomed, unless this farmboy from Nephele piloted a single fighter down a trench to deliver a bomb to a specific point on the target, in order to blow it all up... :D

it was from End run?!

Wait a minute, Doesn't Ralgha say that the Bugs Bunny taunt was one of his favorites in the Empire and on and on... I always figured that was in Freedom Flight... Oh well, it's been a while. I can't really say anything factwise, I just that get that impression from that particular book.

As for fitting in, it does! it fits in Exactly with the WC1 feel... But WC1 features bright green ships and cheesy dialogue as well ;) It's just OK in something like a 1990 game but I expect more from literature. And I do agree that most SF is rehashed.

And LOAF, I told You once and won't tell You again. Don't call me stupid. I don't need comments like that.

Back