Fralthi fighter-Capacity

Unless you're an inanimate object and, hence, a 'that', I can be rather confident that LOAF has not, in this thread, called you stupid. Unlike LOAF, though, I *will* call you stupid, for being a person who randomly tries to take offense at things that aren't overly offensive. If you can't easily shake off the fact that someone called one of your opinions (about a fictional universe, no less) stupid, I'm suprised you're still alive.

I wasn't going to go into this, because I'd forgotten exactly how you'd described Freedom Flight, but your previous comment made me look at it again. A quick check shows me that your opinion doesn't even make sense... It has "an atmosphere about it which is ridiculously uneducated?" How the hell can a book, or the atmosphere about it, be uneducated? If it were non-fiction, I could understand it to, possibly, mean that a book weren't founded on facts or were researched badly. Even then it would be a stupid word choice. Are you insulting the author? Your criticism makes absolutely no sense. The only way I can interpret it is as some sort of condescending view that lighter stories are, in some way, associated with readers, or authors, of less Intelligence.

Even if you define 'intelligent' as something that is more complex, containing large numbers of literary devices, coupled with multiple storylines that interact in all sorts of different ways, then Freedom Flight really can't be considered less 'intelligent' than any of the later Wing Commander novels. I still think intelligent is a stupid, idiotic word to use in this case, however... I started expanding on this thought, but it, sadly, turned into ranting and I was forced to erase it... None of the Wing Commander novels have a great deal of literary worth in that sense. There are a couple of different plotlines that end up coming together in each of the books, and none of the novels carry a great deal of meaning, outside the context of the Wing Commander universe. You could, I guess, mention the fact that some of Forstchen's novels have rather obvious links to historic events. He doesn't, however, actually *accomplish* anything with these comparisons except yelling out, "Hey, it's Pearl Harbor... IN SPACE!"

Basically, you didn't like the book as much as the others, and so you felt it was uneducated and beneath you. Instead of discussing something intelligent, like commenting on the book's story, or your feelings on the book's humour, or even how you don't like giant birds, you said something which was completely uninformative, condescending, uninsightful and which, indirectly, called the author and absolutely everyone who enjoyed it, uneducated. Not only that, in your next post you're indignant because one of your ideas is called stupid. Either you're incredibly bad at making yourself understood, in which case you're an idiot, or you're a condescending bastard, in which case you're also an idiot.

So, unless I'm completely confused and you were actually questioning the amount of education the air around your copy of Freedom Flight has recieved, you're an idiot.

Oh, also, you're a hypocrite.

Some other notes:

LOAF isn't God... Therefore pronouns that refer to him are not capitalized in the middle of sentences.

I don't really care enough to look it up, but I believe there is a Hobbes reference in there, where Bear recalls that Hobbes, after his defection, was dissapointed to learn that it made enemy pilots laugh when the taunt was used.

(TC's note: It's 2am, so I declare anything I wrote above to be clear of errors in spelling, punctuation and grammar, despite me making fun of capitalizing random pronouns. Also, I see that there's one notable way that my post can be labelled as hypocritical, but it's 2 and I have a midterm tommorow. I'll clarify my position in such a way that I don't appear to be a hypocrite if anyone actually notices and points it out.)

And LOAF, I told You once and won't tell You again. Don't call me stupid. I don't need comments like that.

Hurrah for vauge and unspecified threats! You sure won't tell *me* again! I learned my lesson! Hurrah for being too stupid to tell whether or not you've been called stupid! Hurrah for *everything*!

Mwahahahahahaha, that's pure humor. I may disagree with LOAF in a few WC subjects, and I surely don't think he's God, but one thing he always did very well was making fun of silly people.

I think LOAF should be happy that Gryphon won't say it again.

BTW, beatifull Fralthi.
Hey, in the last mission of WC1, when you meet a Fralthi with a wing of fighters, were those fighters based on the Fralthi, or was it a pure Cruiser?

gryphon said:
it was from End run?!

Yes. See Bear's response to it and his own response to it, page 187. Bear does not show up in Freedom Flight after all - he's a character that Forstchen adopted, along with Tolwyn, for his novels.

gryphon said:
Wait a minute, Doesn't Ralgha say that the Bugs Bunny taunt was one of his favorites in the Empire and on and on... I always figured that was in Freedom Flight... Oh well, it's been a while. I can't really say anything factwise, I just that get that impression from that particular book.

Ralgha never says it directly. We only have Bondarevsky's comment about how crestfallen Hobbes looked when informed that it produced 'hysterical laughter' from most pilots.

Freedom Flight's pretty common in the used bookstores if you ever want to look it up - I'd suggest reading it again. The poker game and the relationships between the Claw's pilots in the first half of it are the most important part and what give the book it's WC feel. The second half, with the Ghorah Khar rescue, do fit in well, but I find the first half is what gives it its WC feel, especially if you ever spent any time in the lounge talking to the others and watched them talk back amongst themselves.

gryphon said:
As for fitting in, it does! it fits in Exactly with the WC1 feel... But WC1 features bright green ships and cheesy dialogue as well ;) It's just OK in something like a 1990 game but I expect more from literature. And I do agree that most SF is rehashed.

And LOAF, I told You once and won't tell You again. Don't call me stupid. I don't need comments like that.

When did LOAF call you stupid? He called the 'childish' comment stupid, which in light of the first two games. As you've stated here, WC1 features bright green ships and dialogue which is a little campy but less moody and brooding than the Blade Runner knockoffs or the usual 'we're doomed, until one guy with a starfighter saves the day' games which were (and are) still being put out. Besides, the whole 'Bugs Bunny taunt destroyed the book for me' is what looks uneducated here. :D No taunts were used in this novel at all, outside of the ones the Kilrathi used on one another.

The atmosphere of the book was like the game - though we focused on Hunter rather than Blair, who does make his first appearance in WC literature in there, though his lovelife's rather barren... a perfect description of WC1. :D They talk about the somewhat worn-down nature of the Claw itself, the pilots get to interact amongst one another, and then they end up retreating... I'd say it's no more childish than any of the other WC novels, though it's not as brooding and 'dark' as say, WC3N.

Actually, overmortal, it just needs less you.

(That's called a "hint", unless you like repeatedly taking vacations from the forums.)

Back