Fralthi fighter-Capacity

Concordia

Swabbie
Banned
To anybody listening,

Does anybody know the Fralthi-Class Capacity in both Cruiser and Carrier variants?

-Concordia

Kilrathi Saga and the WC1 Claw Marks both say '20 fighters' in Light Carrier configuration, but no figures are listed for cruiser-config. The Ras Nikhra was carrying a load of fighters, and had a hangar bay large enough to assemble the crew of the ship in, so I'd say it was in light carrier configuration.

The Fralthra of WC2 could carry up to 40 fighters, however.

Because cruisers don't need to carry fighters.

Also, the Fralthi is old(er).

From what I always believed, Fralthi-class cruisers and Fralthi-class light carriers are physically different. The space reserved for fighter support simply doesn't exist on a cruiser.

If UE is right the hangars are on the top pod of each Fralthi wing... if thats not there what does a Fralthi look like, and if that is there what exactly do they put in it instead?

Chernikov said:
If UE is right the hangars are on the top pod of each Fralthi wing... if thats not there what does a Fralthi look like, and if that is there what exactly do they put in it instead?

I always thought the centerline front-facing prong was where the hangars were, since the novel "Freedom Flight" had Hunter taking out their launch bay (singular) with some dumbfires... and later he landed on Ras Nik'hra's bay by lining up on its circular-shaped landing bay (p. 105 and 133). The only place on the Fralthi frame for something like that is on the centerline, either between the prongs or on top of that forward part facing out, under the bridge. There's no room on the 'wings', since they bend down sharply to meet the nacelles.

I seem to recall that the Kilrathi used a squadron size of eight fighters, so a wing of three squadrons sounds appropriate for the light carrier version--you would have one squardon of light fighters (Salthi/Darket), one of medium (Dralthi/Krant), and one of fighter-bombers (Grathra/Jalthi/Vaktoth/Paktahn).

I believe SM2 mentions Dralthi, Jalthi and Hhriss onboard the Ras Nik'hra.

(And Haesslich is correct, IIRC, re: the Fralthi's flight deck. The "pods" are engines.)

Well, remember that this fralthi in UE must be all sorts of old . . perhaps partially destroyed in previous fights and then rebuilt with the flight bays in different areas (and, possibly even missing the engines that originally went in those "pods").

Also remember, UE's Fralthi model is not in any way the official Fralthi model, so the positions of the hangars on our Fralthi do not prove anything :). In fact, ships like the Jalthi would be too wide to fit the hangars if they were positioned like they are in UE.

Okay, understood.

The reason I wanted to know this was for the WC1/2 Mod I was proposing.

Centerline bay it is. The Fralthi II will be a guideline for me, except about 50 meters shorter... the ship would have a bay cut into it wide enough to accomodate 20 Jalthi, and launch a Jalthi single file (because there ain't no way any more than a single Jalthi could escape that bay at a time). My guess is that the Jalthi is the RA-5C Vigilante of the Kilrathi Navy (the Vigi was either tied as the biggest, or the biggest fighter ever to be routinely operated off the decks of a United States Aircraft Carrier). Nonetheless, the bay shall only have 20 hangars within the bay to accomodate fighters, each however could fit a Jalthi at an angle...

-Concordia

overmortal said:
Well, remember that this fralthi in UE must be all sorts of old . . perhaps partially destroyed in previous fights and then rebuilt with the flight bays in different areas (and, possibly even missing the engines that originally went in those "pods").
That's not exactly dignified. Nor is it really sensible, either. A full-scale drydock would be required to repair a Fralthi whose engines had been blown out and yet had miraculously not been destroyed by the enemy or scuttled to prevent capture. So capable a repair yard would probably have simply replaced them, rather than gone to the extra trouble of redesigning the ship almost entirely and building it over again.

Sylvester said:
UE renders the engine pods as the flight deck

shot75.png

I don´t have a UE screenshot here, but they considered that only the bottom 2 pods are engines, the upper two are hangars. That´s pretty adequate, IMHO, since I don´t see any other place where fighters can be stored in the light-carrier-Fralthi.

Starkey said:
shot75.png

I don´t have a UE screenshot here, but they considered that only the bottom 2 pods are engines, the upper two are hangars. That´s pretty adequate, IMHO, since I don´t see any other place where fighters can be stored in the light-carrier-Fralthi.

I could probably put one under the bridge, or under the guns - remember that in "Freedom Flight", that Hunter only had one bay to worry about, since that's where he was dumping dumbfires into - putting two bays into the Fralthi makes little sense, especially given the number of fighters they have to carry, which require support equipment and space for storage. If there were two bays, as postulated here, then Hunter and the Ras Nik'hra would've been debris long ago.

Maybe the bay is too small, that´s why they would need two. I think the UE team came up with some sort of explanation in their fiction.

BTW, ain´t Eder´s Fralthi just plain GREAT? But when quoting my post, remove it so it doesn´t show up over and over in the thread.

Back