Fralthi bombing run WC2 - help?

iiago

Spaceman
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to the WC series, and entirely new to this forum (hello everyone!).

I'm hoping I can get some tips for bombing fralthis in Wing Commander II? Specifically, I'm on the last mission of Special Ops 1. I'm flying a sabre, there's two cap ships. I'm finding it impossible because the anti-matter cannons of the two ships can kill me in one hit, but if I dodge them I lose my lock, and I have to start again (which gives the cannons time to recharge and fire again). Any help?

Current situation/plan is:

1. Kill all fighter craft.
2. Sit as far out as possible (about 11000km) and get a target and lock on. Set speed to zero.
3. The fralthi comes towards me, slowly, and at about 10800 I'm within range of its guns. So I pick up speed, I should have enough time to get a lock before I get to firing range (between 2-3000km)
4. The anti-matter guns fire. I either (a) dodge, which means I lose lock and have to do the whole thing again, or (b) don't dodge, and die in a single hit.

Help?

Bad news: you've made it to what is likely the hardest mission in the Wing Commander canon! It's going to take a lot of very frustrating attempts to sink those cruisers... and when the anti-matter guns don't get you, your own wingman will!

There's no magic bullet, but there are a few tips to improve your chances:

- Lock your torpedoes as early as you can. When you are ~17k klicks away away, first select your chaff pod, then lock target on a Fralthra and switch to your torpedoes. You will be able to lock the weapon before flying into the flak curtain.

- That accomplished, initimately learn the range of your torpedo lock. You'll find you don't need to go STRAIGHT in, you can approach from a vector of about twenty degrees on either side. Lock your first torp at 15k and head in at normal speed. Once you hear/see the weapons fired, carefully swing over to the other extreme (~20 degrees on the other side of the ship.) Once the AMG bolts pass you, head straight in on afterburners and fire your torpedo at about 6,000 klicks.

- It is possible, however insanely rare, to get the Fralthra to destroy each other by flying between them and then afterburning away as soon as you hear the guns fire. Not very good for your health otherwise.

Huh, I thought it was just me.

Thanks for that, I didn't realise you could get a lock at 17k away, or that you could dodge like that. The longer range should make dodging easier, then jet close in ones the cannons have fired...

But you won't believe this - I just logged in to try it out. And my wingmen blew up the fralthai for me! First try!! I'd go back and try and do it myself but... nah :)

On to SO2!

I quickly gave up on "Save the Ralari". I found WC1 hard at the best of times, I wasn't going to bet my kidneys against a brewery (so to speak)

- It is possible, however insanely rare, to get the Fralthra to destroy each other by flying between them and then afterburning away as soon as you hear the guns fire. Not very good for your health otherwise.

Maybe that's how Maniac managed those two capship kills in a Ferret.

Maybe that's how Maniac managed those two capship kills in a Ferret.
I thought he tried to taunt them with insults so lame the crews decided to commit Zu'Kara rather than further taint the collective knowledge of the Empire with this memory. :-P

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to the WC series, and entirely new to this forum (hello everyone!).

I'm hoping I can get some tips for bombing fralthis in Wing Commander II? Specifically, I'm on the last mission of Special Ops 1. I'm flying a sabre, there's two cap ships. I'm finding it impossible because the anti-matter cannons of the two ships can kill me in one hit, but if I dodge them I lose my lock, and I have to start again (which gives the cannons time to recharge and fire again). Any help?

Current situation/plan is:

1. Kill all fighter craft.
2. Sit as far out as possible (about 11000km) and get a target and lock on. Set speed to zero.
3. The fralthi comes towards me, slowly, and at about 10800 I'm within range of its guns. So I pick up speed, I should have enough time to get a lock before I get to firing range (between 2-3000km)
4. The anti-matter guns fire. I either (a) dodge, which means I lose lock and have to do the whole thing again, or (b) don't dodge, and die in a single hit.

Help?
good luck brother it took me at least 25 to 30 tries to beat this.

for the most part I can get through 1 and 2 fine with gog and a controller. I can also get through 4 with very little tweaking and playing on a hard difficulty. the only mission that gives me any trouble is one of the ground missions. as far as 3 goes I cant get it to run smoothly on my computer at alll. I gave up, so many other games im playing right now. Im in love with my ps4. playing the witcher 3. really great game I like two a littler better bc of the characters and how many bugs are in the witcher 3 but a great game. Back on topic the next WC thing I get will be a poster of some kind

Back