Fox May Revive 'Futurama'

Maj.Striker said:
Hmm, maybe but then again I thought 20 years was bit too long to bring back Battlestar Galactica.

The problem with that is it was a very bad idea to bring back BG and everyone is afraid to say so.

I've never cared for either the original or the redux BG, but I can respect the original for attempting to survive/cash-in on the Star Wars craze way-back-when. The remake just seems to tarnish the original by sharing the name and ideas of the original. As much as I love SAaB, I'd be afraid that any furthering in the story wouldn't stack up after all this time; I'd rather nothing than a half-assed continuation - like the current BG series.

Hmm, interesting opinion. I love both the original BSG (what I've seen of it, the movie and several of the shows) and the new redux version. I really really really like the new version so I'm happy that they did it. I understand others don't feel this way.

I'm always surprised how much BSG as an intelligent and original show (it really shares next to nothing in common with the original) gets insulted by various sci-fi communities. Its not actually very good sci-fi by the old definitions, there's no alien species, no technology which has atleast limited support from current understanding of physics.

What there is is a very interesting study of what it is to be human, seeing and understanding how humans can write off another species seemingly so like them as soulless. An actual show where people sturggle to do the right thing, and yes with an amount of fantasy in there which normally I believe should stay well away from sci-fi, its all in place to bring about interesting character interactions. It makes you think about moral issues without falling into the trap of being preachy.

There is no one who can be said to the wholey good or evil on that show, cylon or human. All are human and frail and that is so rare to see in television these days that I welcome it with open arms. There is one exception to this, the cliffhanger which should be concluding in the US tonight, those characters introduced if they survive long enough will likely evolve.

Is anyone here a Firefly fan? It wasn't nearly so thought provoking a show but the characters were so gosh darn likeable it was hard not to enjoy.

Maj.Striker said:
Hmm, interesting opinion. I love both the original BSG (what I've seen of it, the movie and several of the shows) and the new redux version. I really really really like the new version so I'm happy that they did it. I understand others don't feel this way.

Glad you feel that way. People like you need to keep sci-fi alive by watching the shows; I just happen to be so picky that I watch less and less because my annoyance for trends and internet popularity of certain shows (Firefly, BSG) drives me away.

For instance - Firefly, while cute, had some incredibly cheap narrative and exposition in it's short run. Instead of giving us the pedestrian outlook like the show was trying to, it drops a near-narration in the form of a 15 year old girl.

'm always surprised how much BSG as an intelligent and original show (it really shares next to nothing in common with the original) gets insulted by various sci-fi communities. Its not actually very good sci-fi by the old definitions, there's no alien species, no technology which has atleast limited support from current understanding of physics.

I don't know why people like this new BSG show so much. They just tacked on the name for nostalgia; it could've just as easily been a generic "evil space robots Vs Earth marines" show. Like I said before though, I'm a snob. (I like Outer Limits and Twilight Zone and SAaB and The Prisoner, for God's sake.) It just seems unnessessary, especially considering the last 5 years of Hollywood being dominated by remakes of older movies.

The religion component on BSG is kinda interesting. The polytheistic humans being run down by monotheistic robots. Robots that don't know they are robots. Robots converting human doctors. But I've seen just a few episodes, so I can't say how good it is.

I think if you ignored the name you'd have an easier time understanding why people like it LeHah, hell two of the cast were at a stargate convention I was at not so long ago and neither of them had a clue why the show was called Battlestar Galactica. It is not a remake, its not a new twist on the old show, its an entirely new production.
Its exactly the same with Firefly, people don't watch it for the same reasons they watch traditional sci-fi. I won't go to any great lengths to defend Firefly, its just features endearing characters. As with BSG the sci-fi world is just there to make that odd dynamic between characters possible; I can understand why that might be frustrating to a die hard science fiction fan.

Pedro said:
It is not a remake, its not a new twist on the old show, its an entirely new production.

If thats so - why'd they use the name?

Pedro said:
Its exactly the same with Firefly, people don't watch it for the same reasons they watch traditional sci-fi. I won't go to any great lengths to defend Firefly, its just features endearing characters. As with BSG the sci-fi world is just there to make that odd dynamic between characters possible; I can understand why that might be frustrating to a die hard science fiction fan.

Firefly is a cute show but its got some cheap writing and some unendearing acting in it. It's certainly not worthy of the adoration of everyone on the internet.

Bandit LOAF said:
No, it doesn't. FOX is doing very well this season -- its ratings for nonsports programming are actually up.

They have made some really stupid decisons in the past though.

Edx said:

Just like every person and company ever. The point is that the millions of internet dorks who rant about stupid corporations are nowhere near being able to lead a multibillion dollar company (or company at all) or knowledgable about any real criteria to criticize relating to them.

LeHah said:
If thats so - why'd they use the name?.

Absolutely no idea, as I said not even the cast knew. Seems like an odd name to choose, the original wasn't exactly successful. Perhaps they did it as a marketing ploy, some elements such as a limited number of people fleeing in search of a new home were similar, this prevents comparisons in a negative fashion. Additionally since the original was so awfuly cheesy any comments or reviews on the show invariably feature the statement "better than the original"; most won't have seen the original, but may assume that statement really means something as it was good enough to remake in the first place.
What ever the case the two are entirely seperate, it isn't a remake, or even a retelling, it shares names and the most basic of the premis.

LeHah said:
Firefly is a cute show but its got some cheap writing and some unendearing acting in it. It's certainly not worthy of the adoration of everyone on the internet.

I'm definately not a Joss Wheadon fan, his past work is generally that of someone with a large ego and very little respect for the viewer. But I really can't falt the acting, as was proved in Serenity. I hadn't seen Firefly before Serenity and the cast didn't feel out of place in a hollywood movie. You're right, its not worthy, but then in all honesty nor is space above and beyond or the wing commander movie, yet people here adore both, I happen to have a place in my heart for all three. Nothing wrong with the adoration of anything imperfect, just so long as its not claimed to be anything its not.

There is no one who can be said to the wholey good or evil on that show, cylon or human. All are human and frail and that is so rare to see in television these days that I welcome it with open arms.

Eh, that's straight out of the rantings of a series creator who's starting to believe his own e-hype. I can see no evidence that it's actually true. The much lauded 'character conflict' is no different, save perhaps in its tendency towards overacting, than any generic drama. For all the internet mastrubation about how clever Battlestar Galactica is for having 'shades of gray', the show ultimately ends up no different from something like ER -- a bunch of characters who fight amongst each other but ultimately make up so the show can progress normally. That's not an interesting new take... it's just taking science fiction from the weird unique everyone-gets-along setting that other shows cribbed from Star Trek *back* to ordinary drama.

Edx said:

I don't really think so - of all the networks, FOX is the one that's come the farthest. When we were kids FOX was the 'joke' network... and now it's beating NBC. Correct decisions that happen to angry internet nerds isn't the same thing as making stupid decisions.

LeHah said:
For instance - Firefly, while cute, had some incredibly cheap narrative and exposition in it's short run. Instead of giving us the pedestrian outlook like the show was trying to, it drops a near-narration in the form of a 15 year old girl.

Having only watched the first Firefly episode I could only say that it didn't interest me at all. Can't really put my finger on an exact reason, just that it didn't "trip my triggers."

I don't know why people like this new BSG show so much. They just tacked on the name for nostalgia; it could've just as easily been a generic "evil space robots Vs Earth marines" show.

That's true. I think that's why I like it. I don't really care what they call it, they could have named it, "Another Sci Fi Show" and I would have still enjoyed it. If you remember when the initial BSG pilot aired we had a thread here at the CIC about it. I ranted like everyone else about the strange quirks in the pilot, things that they had changed from the original BSG etc. Despite all that, I found after watching the entire first season and most of the second that I really love the show. I don't really care if they are trying to "re-interpret" the original or come up with their own plot. It's a well written show with some great space combat which has always "tripped my triggers." :)

On a side note, I did enjoy the movie, Serenity, which was based on the Firefly show even though I didn't enjoy the show. Weird. :)

Pedro said:
Perhaps they did it as a marketing ploy

You're not as stupid as you look

Pedro said:
I'm definately not a Joss Wheadon fan, his past work is generally that of someone with a large ego and very little respect for the viewer.

You got that backwards - the fans have no respect for the creator, because they just obsess over the characters. The general fandom is like a constant masturbation of fanfiction. I really like Buffy - especially the first three seasons - but if I was introduced to it now, I'd probably hate it thanks to the internet and action figures and insipid books on the "deeper sensibilities" of the show.

Pedro said:
But I really can't falt the acting, as was proved in Serenity.

River Tam is probably the most stupid, low-brow character I've seen in sci-fi since Councilor Troi. Her character was basicly a really lame 'McGuffin' to tie characters into a specific moral conflict against the "evil corporation".

I liked the show while watching it but it doesn't stack up afterward.

"Stewie! Stewie! Do you think FOX has any plans to ressurect Futurama?"
"What magazine are you from?"
"Entertainment Weekly"

If you've seen the Family Guy movie you know what happens to this fellow....

Family Guy is neither as intelligent nor as funny as most people suspect.

Bandit LOAF said:
Eh, that's straight out of the rantings of a series creator who's starting to believe his own e-hype. I can see no evidence that it's actually true. The much lauded 'character conflict' is no different, save perhaps in its tendency towards overacting, than any generic drama. For all the internet mastrubation about how clever Battlestar Galactica is for having 'shades of gray', ...

I'll address this when we find out if Captain Adama actually does assasinate Admiral Kane, it'll make a big difference to how I tackle a response. Cartainly however the order has been given and thats quite a bold line to cross for a one of the supposed good guys of a show.

LeHah said:
River Tam is probably the most stupid, low-brow character I've seen in sci-fi since Councilor Troi. Her character was basicly a really lame 'McGuffin' to tie characters into a specific moral conflict against the "evil corporation".

The whole show was rather low brow, the rather one dimensional take on the characters leads me to believe I enjoy the show better for its short airing than had it continued any longer. Such simple characters did lend themselves well to a movie, I had no trouble watching Serenity without having seen Firefly. There's probably 10,000 fans who'd beat me up for saying this but I think Firefly has been improved by its lack of success. In any case you can't fault the actors for the characters they had to play, certainly none of them will be bringing us to tears any time soon but they were better than most.

I'll address this when we find out if Captain Adama actually does assasinate Admiral Kane, it'll make a big difference to how I tackle a response. Cartainly however the order has been given and thats quite a bold line to cross for a one of the supposed good guys of a show.

That's not a bold line -- it's the regular character we all know is a good guy doing away with the guest star who's spent all her time proving how irreconcilably evil she is. It's not a compelling moral issue at all.

If the story were something along the lines of Adama knowing he could do a better job of leading the fleet and so assasinating someone to keep himself in charge *despite* there not being any specific wrongdoing, that'd be more unique "bold" storytelling. Having the good guy kill the bad guy is nothing new.

(Even having the good guy kill the bad guy in an 'illegal' manner isn't remotely original -- it's the most generic cop drama storyline their is: police officer has to choose between shooting the suspect himself and covering it up or following procedure and letting the guy get away on a technicality. Or, in any hospital drama: doctor has to choose between treating an patient who's done something terrible or letting him die. Or: military show -- soldier has to decide whether to follow his commanding officers illegal order to attack a village or following his conscience. Your 'bold line' has been tread very deeply into the earth -- the only reason people are going wild over it now is because Star Trek created a strange and unusual *different* set of circumstances for science fiction that people are used to.)

There's a pretty large ethical difference between killing someone who has already committed a crime and the assasination of someone you believe to be dangerous. But ignoring that it may be my distaste for the average cop show but I can't recall such an action ever being condoned, infact the only thing coming to mind right now is insomnia in which the message was that such an action will only lead down one inevitable path. Most shows I can think of skip out of dealing with the issue, either the cop would come into a situation where he was forced to fire at the suspect or the cop would subsequently be caught.

Back